• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Inheritance stuff

So I want to discuss a few things. One about an Eragon and Galbatorix upgrade and the rest is about Angela, for which I want to do a profile sometimes. Let's begin with the more important one, which contains a short calc:

Nuclear explosions
Well, anyone that has read the book probably has guessed that there are 2 nuclear explosions mentioned in it, even though they maybe are like me and haven't taken it as 100% proven.

Well, for one of them Paolinis website actually gives us explicite information that it was a nuclear explosion. To quote form here:

Unable to stop the agony of thousands flowing through his being, Galbatorix begged Eragon to stop the spell. When refused, the king committed suicide by transforming his body into explosive pure energy. Perhaps he hoped to wipe out his enemies with the atomic blast, but even that was not to be. Eragon, aided by the allied Eldunarí, cast a spell that protected those in the throne room from the blast and any falling debris.

Nuclear fallout and radiation sickness spread throughout Ur├╗'baen but were contained and healed with magic.
I could possibly try to argue for something above the current Small Town level, just by tanking a nuclear explosion, but actually quantifing the blast is of course better.

For that I want to look at the highlighted part in the quote. That he turned his body into pure energy first might sound like a vague or hyperbolic description that shouldn't be taken literally or treated in a scientific way, especially considering Inheritance is a Fantasy novel in which the people don't hold that large scientific knowledge.

Well, but I think there is a reason why it should. For that we have to look at the other nuclear explosion that is mentioned in the books.

That explosion is the one the elf Thuviel caused in the battle of Doru Araeba.

That explosion doesn't have an explicite statement of being nuclear, but it quite clearly is and was amongst others a suicide spell, just like the Galbatrorix one.

Let me take the quote from here:

When he asked Glaedr, the old dragon said, There is an invisible poision here, in the air you breathe, in the ground you walk upon, and in the food you may eat and the water you may drink. The spell will protect us against it.

What... poision? asked Saphira, her thoughts as slow as the beats of her wings.

Eragon saw from Glaedr an image of the crater by the city, and the dragon said, During the battle with the Forsworn, one of our own, an elf by the name of Thuviel, killed himself with magic. Whether by desgin or by accident has never been clear, but the result is what you see and what you cannot see, for the resulting explosion rendered the area unfit to live in. Thouse who remained here soon developed lesions upon their skin and lost their hair, and many died thereafter.

Concerned, Eragon cast the spell - which required little energy - before he said, How could any one persion, elf or not, cause so much damage? Even if Thuviel's dragon helped him, I can't think how it would be possible, not unless his dragon was the size of a mountain.

His dragon did not help him,
said Glaedr. His dragon was dead. No,Thuviel wrought this destruction by himself.

But how?

The only way he could have: he converted his flesh into energy.

He made himself a spirit?

No. The energy was without thought or structure, and once unbound, it raced outward until it dispersed.

I had not realized that a single body contained so much force.

It is not well know, but even the smallest speck of matter is equal to a great amount of energy. Matter, it seems, is merely frozen energy. Melt it, and you release a flood few can withstand. ...It was said that the explosion here was heard as far away as Teirm and that the cloud of smoke that followed rose as high as the Beor Mountains.

Was it the blast that killed Glaerun?
Eragon asked, referring to the one member of the Forsworn who he knew had died on Vroengard.

It was. Galbatorix and the rest of the Forsworn has a moment of warning, and so were able to shield themselves, but many of our own were not as fortunate and thus perished.''
So as one can see the explosion quite clearly caused nuclear fallout and explanation wise worked by "melting" the matter into energy.

So all in all I think that the spells worked the same way is clear and the explanation mentions matter-energy conversion as directly as it could without directly using scientific term in my opinion.

So assuming that it is accepted that this is a direct statement of matter-energy conversion we can calculate the energy of those explosions quite easily.

E=mc^2. So assuming Thuviel and Galbatorix both weighted around 70kg their explosions would have an energy of 70*299 792 458^2 = 6.2912862511577235e18 J

Large Mountain level.

That would scale to Eragon with all his Eldunari, since he shielded himself and multiple other people, including 2 dragons, against the explosion Galbatorix caused from a close distance.

Is that realistic? Well, we currently are estimating the dragons strength through that of an elf. Clearly a very extreme low end, given that even a young dragon like Saphira has vastly more energy and Eragons Eldunari had some very old dragons in it (to clarifications for those that don't know: Dragons in Inheritance never stop growing and with that their total energy also never stops increasing as they get older. As Eragon mentioned in the quote it is technically possible for dragons to grow as large as mountains).

So while far above the current Small Town level estimation I don't think it is necessarily unrealistic.

Time Stop (and wards still work?)
So Angela has demonstrated what I think is a timestop spell, but as usual when it comes to Angela her explanations aren't too specific. Here's the quote:

He had only covered a few feet, however, when a flicker of movement appeared next to each man: a soft, shadowy blur, like the motion of a windblown pennant seen at the edge of his vision.

Without so much as a single cry, the twenty men stiffened and fell to the floor, dead, every last one of them.

Alarmed, Eragon slowed to a stop before he ran into the bodies. Each of the men had been stabbed through an eye, as neat as could be.

He turned to ask Arya and Angela if they knew what had happened, but the words died in his throat as he beheld the herbalist.

She stood braced against a wall, leaning on her knees and panting heavily. Her skin had gone deathly white, and her hands were shaking. Blood dripped from her poniard.

Awe and fear filled Eragon. Whatever the herbalist had done, it was beyond his understanding.

"Wise one," said Arya, and she too sounded uncertain, "how did you manage to do this?"

The herbalist chuckled between breaths, then said, "I used a trick... I learned from my master... Tenga... ages ago. May a thousand spiders bite his ears and knobbly bits."

"Yes, but how did you do it?" insisted Eragon. A trick like that might be useful in Ur├╗baen.

The herbalist chuckled again.

"What is time but motion? What is motion but heat? And are not heat and energy but different names for the same thing?"

She pushed herself of the wall, walked over to Eragon, and patted him on the cheek.

"When you understand the implications of that, you'll understand how and what I did."
Maybe interesting to mention is this regards is that magic was defined as manipulation of energy in Inheritance. For me this sounds like timestop, given the time explanation and the blood indicating that she physically pierced them.

So do you guys think time stop is well enough of a guess for this?

A matter which follows this one is that Angela mentioned that she would be useless in the battle against Galbatorix. That would in my opinion mean that either wards still work in timestop, so that Angela couldn't stab Galbatorix, or that his wards negate timestop. I would guess the former, which woul dthen likely also be true for other magic users. Opinions on that?

Tinkledeath
If you look at the page from the previous quote a bit above you will find a description of Angelas blade Tinklerdeath. The sharpest blade in the world, the archetype of inclined plane, which can cut anything that is not protected by magic.

Maybe you can already guess were the problem with this is.

It isn't the NLF of being able to cut anything, but the fact that, do to being the sharpest blade in the world, any calculation on the energy of a blow with this blade will return value below normal human level.

That is what a sharp blade is for after all: to cut without using much effort.

This puts me in a difficult situation in regards to Angelas AP with it though. It seems rather strange to rank a blade which can cut anything as human level AP, even though a human without it or with any other blade could not remotely accomplish it.

This is a matter of community opinion, but I wonder if ranking it as "likely Wall level" or "likely Street level" would be ok.

I can understand if it isn't, though.

Destroying a city and killing Barst
To a question of Roran about wether Angela could kill Barst she responds that she could, but at the cost of all the lives in Ur├╗'baen, save for Galbatorix's.

This is a vague statement and we don't know how exactly she is planning to this (maybe through the E=mc^2 spell?), but I wonder what you guys think of that in regards to stats. Maybe "possibly City level per unknown suicide spell" or something?

Taking a quick overview of this, I find myself mostly okay with it.

Although, the last bit seems too vaguely defined to add as anything. I could understand if others are fine with it, though.

I agree with the nuclear suicide and time spells. The first has a decent explanation for a fantasy story, and the second, while not saying it outright, strongly implies a timestop.

The "likely Street or Wall level AP" sword doesn't sound wrong if it's supposed to be the sharpest blade ever, but I guess since you are only giving the description, it lacks notable feats, right? I think there was a discussion about Street to Wall level swords not too long ago, and I think it was agreed that things like cutting through wood shields or plate armor are Wall level or something like that. I'm mostly okay with this one.

The last part seems too vague, though, since we don't know the method she would use.

To mention some more specific things in regards to Tinkledeath's sharpness:

-It is mentioned that it would cut ones leg off if one leans the blade against it

-Eragon cut through 4 inches of stone without meeting any resistance

-The problem that such a thin blade would break as soon as meeting resistance, is assumed by eragon to be simply solved by the blade never meeting any resistance

So that it can cut any naturally occurring material is quite likely not a hyperbole, IMO.

OK, so with exception of the last part it seems there is mostly agreement with this.

Since book series usually don't get all to much input, I also don't expect much more than I got until now.

So I will apply the accepted parts in a bit, unless someone has a last minute objection.

This seems reasonable to me. However, we would need a calculation blog to link to.

Back