• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Is Culex an outlier or a feat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_real_cal_howard

Read my comic
VS Battles
Retired
Just want to know. If not, this warrants a universal+ (possibly) Mario. If not, his stats stay the same. Given Mario's varying feats (Dimentio, Galaxy series) I don't see this being an outlier

Culex is featless. He's based on dialogue. Then again, being optional doesn't keep the Knights Of The Round from being a thing.

Culex is an optional hidden boss who appears in Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars. Alongside with the Crystal's he has, Culex is an even more powerful boss than the main story's antagonist, Smithy. So it would be fair to place mario planet level for defeating Smithy and much higher by being on par with Culex

I mean Mario did fight beings like SMG Bowser who could devour galaxies, and fought dreamy bowser who has matter manipulation,{could wish anyone out of existence, and create shy guys out of thin air} also has Regenerationn{can heal himself} So, yeah

Here's the quote:

"I am matter...I am antimatter...I can see your past...I can see your future...I consume time...and I will consume you!"

Well, spoiler alert, he doesn't do that last thing, but I'm not sure if we can believe the rest of that sentence either.

We don't know the specifics. It could just be time in a local area or only a few seconds of time. Or maybe both.

Hello everyone. I'm taking a little break from studying for my finals. Anyway, I'll address a few common questions:

1. No, we can't powerscale Mario to Culex. Many characters such as Kirby are strip from this policy for the similar reason that it's usually above the standards of the character and Mario should not be any different, infact it's why the divider for SMG series exist. It will remain an outlier until futher notice.

2. Smithy is planet level because he's superior to Exor. Exor desotryed Star Hill, an area where the wishes are contain after turning into stars, which is the source of power in the world....albiet the concept of wishes was only expanded in Paper Mario.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3B-UkHxD_5s skip to 7:30.

3. Ask for why Mario isn't scaled to Smithy, it's likely related to no. 1, though it isn't the last time a situation like this occured....

As for 2. Paper Mario is a completely separate universe. Star Hill shouldn't scale to concepts that are fictional in-universe.

LordXcano said:
As for 2. Paper Mario is a completely separate universe. Star Hill shouldn't scale to concepts that are fictional in-universe.
I'm guessing it's because of Mario and Luigi: Paper Jam, right? That's wrong. The Paper Mario series and it's elements has appeared and been refenced in other games and vice verse. From Luigi's dairy mentioning the sports and party games(Which the Star Spirits has appeared in the 5th installment of the latter) to Goomboss appearing in SM64DS refencing about his last encounter with Mario. Paper Jam's concept solely revolves around concept and gameplay, not canon. To claim Mario and Paper Mario are two different characters because of Paper Jam would be like calling Bowser and Dry Bowser two different characters because of Mario Party: Island Tour. The franchise's characters has a history of co-existing with their alter egos, explained or not. It's ludicrous to establish a canon for a franchise with none just because Nintendo wants to expand the roster or gameplay reasons.

And this is why I didn't want a seperate page for PM stats to exist. Let me guess: Because of Mario and Luigi: Paper Jam, right? That's wrong.

If there's evidence to the contrary then clearly Paper Jam is a retcon, and as such it still wouldn't scale. You can't ignore canon because of a theory.

The Paper Mario series and it's elements has appeared and been refenced in other games and vice verse. From Luigi's dairy mentioning the sports and party games(Which the Star Spirits has appeared in the 5th installment of the latter) to Goomboss appearing in SM64DS refencing about his last encounter with Mario.

Mario 64 would take place before Paper Mario anyway since it was released earlier. Either way, this would be retconned by Paper Jam.

Paper Jam's concept solely revolves around concept and gameplay, not canon. To claim Mario and Paper Mario are two different characters because of Paper Jam would be like calling Bowser and Dry Bowser two different characters because of Mario Party: Island Tour.

Yeah except Mario Party: Island Tour and other spin-offs are, well, spin-offs without any plot relevance.

The franchise's characters has a history of co-existing with their alter egos, explained or not. It's ludicrous to establish a canon for a franchise with none just because Nintendo wants to expand the roster or gameplay reasons.

This was hardly "to expand roster". It is central to the entire plot.

Isn't Culex from the Final Fantasy-verse, which is chalk full of time-eaters similar to him?

Azathoth the Abyssal Idiot said:
He's a reference to FF, since Square (before they were Square Enix) helped make the game.
Didn't he state himself he was in fact from a completely different universe?

@LordXcano

I can't ignore something that doesn't exist to begin with. There's no retcon or theory what so ever. You keep claiming such in your comment because a mere game with lack of reference or callback to previous events that neither character are unaware of makes you say so just because you see two Marios. Terrible analogy. There's too many links and reference to conclude such. Right now, the creators have the final say about the series and until they do, it's going to take more than an alter ego co-existing to determine how the continuity of the series works. Finally, spin offs =\= not canon or irrelevant. Please stop making that mistake until official sources of the series say otherwise.

FanofRPGs said:
Didn't he state himself he was in fact from a completely different universe?
Yes, but it's an offhand reference/joke. We don't know if he's ACTUALLY from the FF verse since he never appeared there.

FanofRPGs said:
Isn't Culex from the Final Fantasy-verse, which is chalk full of time-eaters similar to him?

Culex actually came from a realm called Vanda. But we can't powerscale a character based off from a different franchise. Otherwise, the KH and/or Disney characters would have been scaled higher....

Right now, the creators have the final say about the series and until they do, it's going to take more than an alter ego co-existing to determine how the continuity of the series works.

Yeah, and right now they've said that Paper Mario is an alternate universe within a book.

@LordXcano

They said? More like you think.......because I never see them claim such in interviews. It's only been a story factor and nothing beyond that. Factor in the lack of exclusive references from previous games in Paper Jam and there's barely anything go by beyond speculation, which is what you are doing. Research, please and thank you.

It literally doesn't matter if there's statements about it in an interview, we have a canon source saying they're 2 different universes. This isn't speculation, this is literally what happens in the game.

It does matter because it's the "Word of God" rule. Look it up. Your argument is becoming weaker with each reply going by one game with one phrase. Nevermind the fact the elements and event in previous games have been already linked or they fact this isn't the first time this happened. Never mind the interview never claimed that it's a different continuity. Never mind no character in the game is unfamilar about an event that takes place in either any game just because you see an alter ego of Mario co-existing. Again, you are just speculating. Try researching instead of experessing your lack of knowledge in the series.

It does matter because it's the "Word of God" rule.

First that isn't a rule, that's a concept. And that only matters in the case of an author saying "Yes this character is universal". Akira Toriyama hasn't come out and said "Beerus is universal get over it", we just know he is because he's shown himself to be in-canon. Same thing here. I don't need an interview to back me up, I know it's true because it happens in the main canon.

Never mind no character in the game is unfamilar about an event that takes place in either any game just because you see an alter ego of Mario co-existing.

Yeah except in those games they don't literally show Baby Mario being from an alternate universe. We just assume time travel shenanigans or gameplay shenanigans. This is completely different.

Well, it seems like Dino Ranger Black solved the original question of this thread. Should I close it then?

Please do. I'm tired of repeating myself over matters Lordxano brought up that was resolved eons ago as well as his lack of knowledge in the Mario series in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back