• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Issue with type 9 Immortality description...

"9: Transcendental Immortality: Characters whose true selves exist independently from the plane where they can be killed. For example, a conceptual being doesn't die even if its body, soul, etc will be erased from existence".

To me, the example that it's given is really misleading. We treat immortality via being reliant/embodying a concept as type 8. Unless said concepts trascends the laws of reality, or it's present on an higher plance of existence it shouldn't count as type 9.

In my honest opinion, type 9 immortality is more akin to type 10 because they cannot die since they stand outside of the plane where they are vulnerable to death. This is like saying that they are above the concepts of life and death because of how it is described in the description. With the example though, I disagree with your opinion because what it means by "conceptual being" is a being who is literally a concept and not just an embodiment. An example of this is Yog-Sothoth as he is the embodiment of all of space and time, yet at the same time, it simultaneously exists outside of it (yeah I know, that is one weird paradox both scientifically and philosophically).

JustJeferd said:
In my honest opinion, type 9 immortality is more akin to type 10 because they cannot die since they stand outside of the plane where they are vulnerable to death. This is like saying that they are above the concepts of life and death because of how it is described in the description. With the example though, I disagree with your opinion because what it means by "conceptual being" is a being who is literally a concept and not just an embodiment. An example of this is Yog-Sothoth as he is the embodiment of all of space and time, yet at the same time, it simultaneously exists outside of it (yeah I know, that is one weird paradox both scientifically and philosophically).
I'm pretty sure that being a conceptual being and embodying a concept are the same exact thing.

@DMB 1 Yes, but if it also transcends the concept it embodies too then it is not a weakness and possibly a strength in the case of Yog-Sothoth. Think of it this way. The bacteria in our gut can survive without the need of a human but a human will never be able to survive without the gut flora (bacteria). Applying that to Yog-Sothoth, he is the bacteria that inhabit the human body (and in this case the space-time he embodies) and can survive without it. But the human body (space-time) cannot survive without the bacteria (Yog-Sothoth).

Back