• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Mario Abilities and resistances Part II

My thoughts:
Body Control: Agree
Healing: Odyssey one is a Game Mechanic, since the heart healing factor is on assist mode. I don't think it's a legit feat the SMW explosion one? Unsure
Dimensional Travel: Agree
Duplication: Unsure, but the clone cherry from 3D World shows that off better
Transformation: Neutral
Light Manipulation: All the Mario cast did was make stars appear but neutral

Time Stop: I think the tick tock clock time stop feat was mentioned in another thread so I agree. Same for the one in Sticker Star For the Luigi one mentioned in TTYD, he would probably have a "possibly resists time manipulation" on his profile. The one from grodus I can agree with
Power Null: Agree
Mind Manipulation: How do we know Mario can get confused? How does the sparks around Mario really tell us that?
Magic: Agree

Overall a decent CRT, this is just my opinion however, the ones I agree with Im good with having it be on Mario's profile.

That wouldn't be healing when he had nothing to heal from.
For Paper Mario.
What the heck is that wording, that's not what's happening. He's not the target of what's happening on screen, he didn't leave his universe.
Nothing shows he made the clones, let alone with that item that's not there.
Resistances:

Time Stop: He can move in Tick Tock Clock when time is stopped - Super Mario 64
The guide says "to stop time inside altogether", it clearly doesn't apply to Mario.
That's due to that other being making him be unaffected by his power when teaming up with Mario, it even says that it will lend him its power.
That doesn't mean anything resistance wise. Regardless of what other inaccurate profiles may imply, you yourself can't have a reason for this that would be correct.
More evidence would be needed.
W/o anything that would imply that dancing would stop him from that, this is wrong.
It happens due to the collision, no collision no abilities "restricted". This is wrong.
This would be like doing so against energy, there is no reason that anyone wouldn't be able to do so unless implied otherwise.

Last edited:
I don't think the healing uses great justifs. Him getting his clothes and body sooty is meh and unclear if he sustained actual harm. Prior is based in a game mechanics mode.

As I disagree with Paper Jam's Paper Mario not being Paper Mario, that meets the end of the help I can give.

As I disagree with Paper Jam's Paper Mario not being Paper Mario, that meets the end of the help I can give.
I am also iffy on that do you have any evidence to support the idea the only reason they aren't is because that actor thing if I am not mistaken.

Mario from the Paper Mario series is the same character as the Mario from M&L series and Super Mario Bros series; we already been over this. Paper Jam is the only instance of a character called "Paper Mario" being a separate character.

I just find it weird the first game literally has bowser tape himself to the plot, Mario shows no similar shapeshifting abilities outside of the games even when like in paper jam they would help. Mario needing the flip ability contradicts every 3D game, and sticker star along with color splash has them acknowledge the fact they are paper.

Mario from the Paper Mario series is the same character as the Mario from M&L series and Super Mario Bros series; we already been over this. Paper Jam is the only instance of a character called "Paper Mario" being a separate character.
Well, I wouldn't say "we already been over this" if the debates referred aren't all ones I would be proud of. I guess we can go over it one more time if too many people don't come; why is it that Mario from the Paper Mario series is the same character as the Mario from M&L series?

I just find it weird the first game literally has bowser tape himself to the plot, Mario shows no similar shapeshifting abilities outside of the games even when like in paper jam they would help. Mario needing the flip ability contradicts every 3D game, and sticker star along with color splash has them acknowledge the fact they are paper.
Bowser has had plot shit in other games aside from Paper.
I'm pretty sure shapeshifting has happened in other Mario games lol
Iirc there's a quote like Mario becomes Paper Mario for these games or something I can't remember but that was the explanation given along with the "no canon" argument.
Sticker Star is the point of the series where they start to make a heavy emphasis on Paper and is when Paper Jam occurred.

Well, I wouldn't say "we already been over this" if the debates referred aren't all ones I would be proud of. I guess we can go over it one more time if too many people don't come; why is it that Mario from the Paper Mario series is the same character as the Mario from M&L series?
Well the games reference each other quite a lot of times, we have Miyamoto's statements of no canon and taking on different roles to suit the narrative, the "Mario becomes 2D" or whatever quote for one of the games, and the fact Paper Mario characters later reappear in the franchise (mostly Mario Party but Superstars basically confirmed they're all explicitly Canon now to the main cast).

Last edited:
the "Mario becomes 2D" or whatever quote for one of the games, and the fact Paper Mario characters later reappear in the franchise (mostly Mario Party but Superstars basically confirmed they're all explicitly Canon now to the main cast).
Can you give links to this? I will reply after it.

But with Superstars the whole point of the game is that the cast get transported to Mario Party World and Koopa explicitly mentions their past endeavors and ift hey remember it.

This whole intro really, but the 1 minute mark is probably the best place to look.

and Mario Party 5 is centered around the Star Spirits and they're literally the hosts. Paper Mario 64 definitely came wayy before a GameCube game so you can't even argue "oh it's just promotion" not like that would be an argument anyways.

That is pretty solid. Still, being their own characters through a whole game has more weight to it, and it's not like they didn't live the same adventures/games in their own universes.
Well the games reference each other quite a lot of times
Yes, some confirm they had the same past adventures in the paper universe and others are just meaningless, brief references for the players.
we have Miyamoto's statements of no canon and taking on different roles to suit the narrative
This was exaplained in an old thread to have been taken out of context, please read it again and see what can be taken from it.
and the fact Paper Mario characters later reappear in the franchise (mostly Mario Party but Superstars basically confirmed they're all explicitly Canon now to the main cast).
As said before, they do have a similar history. Mario simply isn't made of paper at random points of his life, and similar implications.

3D World is one. Pulls back the stage clear screen to kidnap the Sprixie again. I think one of the Yoshi Islands has him basically showing up during the credits too to say something like "collect everything* and then you get to battle him I think? And there's probably another one.

That wouldn't be healing then that he had nothing to heal from.

For Paper Mario.

What the heck is that wording, that's not what's happening. He's not the target of what's happening on screen, he didn't leave his universe.

Nothing shows he made the clones, let alone with that item that's not there.

The guide says "to stop time inside altogether", it clearly doesn't apply to Mario.

That's due to that other being making him be unaffected by his power when teaming up with Mario, it even says that it will lend him its power.

That doesn't mean anything resistance wise. Regardless of what other inaccurate profiles may imply, you yourself can't have a reason for this that would be correct.

W/o anything that would imply that dancing would stop him from that, this is wrong.

It happens due to the collision, no collision no abilities "restricted". This is wrong.

This would be like doing so against energy, there is no reason that anyone wouldn't be able to do so unless implied otherwise.
We clearly see that Mario is damaged, even his clothes are, and he is charred

Why is he not the target of what's happening on screen?

How does it not apply to Mario? He can move when time is stopped inside of Tick Toc clock

Where does it say its due to Kersti giving him the power to resist time stop? Kersti "lending Mario his power" is referring to her using Paperize

Scans of it not being resistance?

Yeah bro, you totally don't need resistance to time stop to be able to move when time and space are non existent

It happens due to the collision, no collision no abilities "restricted"

Send scans, and you do realise Bowser still collides with Mario when he uses the Superguard right?

Ok, prove anyone can resist magic without the ability to resist magic

Back