• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Mario discussion 9.5:Forum's inside story

Ei76G6YVkAE6TIp.jpeg
20200610_003202.png

Last edited:
So IDK if this has been discussed (this is my first time being in the Mario discussion) but after a few weeks of it being out what do you lads think about Super Mario 3D All Stars? Me personally, I think it's a pretty good compilation but for something that's celebrating 35 years of one of gaming's most iconic characters this collection feels very lazy and without any ounce of character to it unlike All Stars on SNES.

I actually undusted my Wii U recently just to play Galaxy 2.
And it's a headache trying to 100% it, I have a ton of trouble on galaxies that require motion controls.

Galaxy 2 isn't on Switch yet.

And you can push for 1-A Mario if you take some stuff too far

What's interesting is that the Toad's and Peach herself are able to like... Project themselves from within the walls. We see Peach become physical literally right in front of us and when far away Toads are translucent. The toads also love to remind you they're still trapped in the walls.

Like, I dunno what this could be? But it's definitely not normal. I'm unsure if Bowser with the Stars did that to them or if it's a natural ability they can do?

Also, Peach can somehow warn Mario while she's captured and hidden away through a note on the wall of her room? I dunno how you can explain that, really. But it's definitely an ability. Even if you say she wrote it beforehand then she clearly has some clairvoyance or precog of sorts. There's probably more dialogue and text you can find for abilities in 64.

Galaxy 2 isn't on Switch yet.

And you can push for 1-A Mario if you take some stuff too far
It's so weird to me that they didn't put Galaxy 2 in 3D All Stars considering how well received Galaxy 2 was when it came out. Now you can argue that Galaxy 1 had more impact compared to 2 but still they had better not decide to sell it separately for full price or something ridiculous like that

Dude a Super Mario Galaxy 3 game with Odyssey like graphics and, hopefully, sandbox levels and design would make for one of the best Mario games of all time IMO

Also, Peach can somehow warn Mario while she's captured and hidden away through a note on the wall of her room? I dunno how you can explain that, really. But it's definitely an ability. Even if you say she wrote it beforehand then she clearly has some clairvoyance or precog of sorts. There's probably more dialogue and text you can find for abilities in 64.
Same ability that allows her to send letters across the universe in the Galaxy games, probably. It's interesting how consistent her ability to send notes is .-.

But like, those were her physically sending actual letters.

This was a signpost directly planted on her wall. It wasn't sent to Mario by mail or anything.

She's also responsible for telling you Bowser's weakness of spinning him by the tail when you read the sign near the warp pipe in the Bowser world, communicating through the sign somehow despite being locked away. Text Manipulation??? I dunno.

Idk. I still feel like she's got some kind of letter teleportation. Whomst, and I cannot stress this enough, the f**k would be delivering letters across the universe to Mario's exact location? Because I want to meet them and give them a personal slap across the face for my missing packages

@Robot972 what if it was Bowser that was allowing Peach to mail her letters but he never bothered to check to see what it was inside them? Probably not real but if so then Bowser could make some real cash with the fastest delivery service in the universe

What's interesting is that the Toad's and Peach herself are able to like... Project themselves from within the walls. We see Peach become physical literally right in front of us and when far away Toads are translucent. The toads also love to remind you they're still trapped in the walls.
I don't think these are any kind of ability. I'm assuming for Peach you're talking about her materialising at the end of game right? If that's the case, it's just her becoming free from the seal Bowser placed on her due to Mario ragdolling him and getting all the stars needed to break the seal. And the Toads being translucent when far away is way more likely just to be an engine thing, with the game just not fully rendering them due to limitations of the hardware.

Also I just wanna say doing 100% on Mario Sunshine is awful, it's not worth the shitty postcard you get at the end of the credits.

Idk. I still feel like she's got some kind of letter teleportation. Whomst, and I cannot stress this enough, the f**k would be delivering letters across the universe to Mario's exact location? Because I want to meet them and give them a personal slap across the face for my missing packages
Not enough evidence but do you think Peach has some kind of Extrasensory Perception?

Onto Mario Sunshine stuff.

I do feel like Shadow Mario and the Graffiti and what all it does need more details and analysis. Shadow Mario itself as a form has a ton of extra abilities that can be added that are missing with the biggest being Self-Sustenance and Inorganic Physiology because duh, he's literally made of water. So no organs as you can see right through him, phasing which he does when you beat him as his teleport also goes through objects, and way more.

Graffiti has Life Drain abilities and absolutely is lethal if exposed to for too long and toxic. It's a form of sealing and it can cause even the terrain one is standing on to sink beneath it and disappear. This is just the short of it, too.

Lotsa' interesting stuff to talk about right now, but I think I'm too sleepy to go over much any of it, currently.

I don't concern myself with main character stuff very much.
Mostly, I'm hoping we can add all the fodder abilities & equipment from the RPGs. (Major sources are SMRPG & TTYD.)

If we summarize possible changes to implement, I might comment more later.

I think there was some arguing about Bob-ombs. Which I still feel strongly about since their explosions are at least strong enough to one-shot Bob-ombs themselves & Bob-ombs have ramming attacks, so I'm iffy about scaling other fodder to Bob-omb explosions.

I think I may have made a rough approximation of the Superstar Saga Bowser Ship exploding thing that scales to fodder in the General Discussion thread? The yield may have been relevant?

There's also the problem of Captain Goomba's scaling; As a Captain who's fought several characters VERY MUCH above fodder, even scaling distantly to Koopalings, Mario, etc. (Who he's fought, even surviving the original SMB Arcade game.)
Thus the problem; Captain Goomba is called a regular Goomba, & he's the Goomba that performs the boulder-shattering feat.

His scaling suggests he should be too strong for his feats to apply to regular fodders, Goombas included, but without his feat, their position becomes a bit shakier without other feats, so fodder may be downgraded for a lack of consistent feats at their current statistical tiering position, unfortunately.
Not like we can just ignore logic & say his feat is okay for fodder because it glues them into consistency in their current tier, IMHO.

Fodder scaling is crazy.

Bob-Ombs on their own can have explosions easily higher than 8-C and that throws the scaling chain way off.

Then the other barely 8-C feats if there are any other than Monty Moles, are performed by enemies that are normally treated as superior to the common foot soldiers like Thwomps, Chain Chomps, and Banzai Bills, possibly Charging Chucks as well, and it would be weird to judge them on their own feats when comparitively so far the best feat for the general fodder species aside from Bob-Omb explosions was done by a Monty Mole who aren't even "elites" in the army to begin with.

That being said, Odyssey also has a solid likely 9-A feat for the Goomba being able to shatter large bricks in Wooded Kingdom, and at the very least I can see that being okay.

But I dunno. Hammer Bros. can shatter the metal armor of the giant Robobrood's legs with their hammer throws. Perhaps that could yield something nice? At the very least I don't see it being any less than Wall+

Back