• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Mobile Suit Gundam Discussion Thread

This is my old calculation of the feat, tho it could use some updating
For example, angscaling to find the distance from the hole to the epicenter (that shot where Amuro's dad flies away + the distance from the pov to the Zaku when it explodes)
Imo this feat is at least tier 7

I calculated the RX-78-2's surface area to 71m²
it didn't take the blast flat though, pretty much the only part of it that actually got hit by the blast would be its torso, 1 arm and 1 leg (the other arm and other leg are overlapping the torso so they aren't actually getting hit) since it was crouched as opposed to his whole body
This is my old calculation of the feat, tho it could use some updating
For example, angscaling to find the distance from the hole to the epicenter (that shot where Amuro's dad flies away + the distance from the pov to the Zaku when it explodes)
Imo this feat is at least tier 7
"explosion happened at least the radius of the colony away from the hole"
why are we assuming that? the zaku ii was maybe a couple tens of metres above the ground, which itself is absolutely not in the dead center of the colony and the land is not even a km thick on average
setting_colonyschematic.jpg

I recalled this got calced already and the RX got 8-B via ISL. By idk where that calc is.
I think you're thinking of my version.

Edit: I just realised I forgot to upload it to a blog. Here's the blog.
i should calc the Side 7 Zaku explosion from 0079 - considering that it blew a huge chunk in the side og the colony despite exploding ABOVE ground and RX-78-2 tanked it from some distance away it's probably not bad in terms of destructive capacity
Here's hoping you get higher results than High 8-C.

Edit: I just realised I forgot to upload it to a blog. Here's the blog.
i modelled the hole as a circle but an ellipse makes more sense considering what we see when the decompression happens
iunno if i'd use the shot with the hole blown in it to measure the other dimension of the ellipse considering a good portion of the metal's probably been fragged and blasted into space rather than only bent outwards
latest

maybe this frame in particular (if i complete the shape offscreen) to get the other dimension then model as an ellipse, multiply by sheet thickness, frag of steel, yada yada
the soil on top being fragged would probably also add a good couple kilotons based on the sheer volume since the average land thickness is some 700m

I don't think the Zaku being above the ground is that important here, since the hole didn't seem to be made right blow it. Regardless the hole should be at a distance of the thickness of the land away at least so there's that for ISL.

Could you do the Zaku's durability, as well?
I don't think it'd be much different. The only change in the calculation would be its surface area, which is gonna be slightly lower on account of it being slightly smaller (17.5m vs 18m) but that's really it.

this doesn't take into account the distance the zaku was from the wall of the colony and the real distance between the gundam and the zaku, it just compares the surface area of the hole to the gundam not taking into account that the ground makes the epicenter considerably farther from the hole too
also you see solid rock, it's not really generic soil

the explosion would be considerably stronger at the epicenter than the calc suggests because the metal wall is hundreds of meters way from the zaku, and the gundam is obviously much closer to the zaku

this doesn't take into account the distance the zaku was from the wall of the colony and the real distance between the gundam and the zaku, it just compares the surface area of the hole to the gundam not taking into account that the ground makes the epicenter considerably farther from the hole too
correct.
this is like. an absolute bare minimum. i spoke to Agnaa about it and the way it's animated (omnidirectional explosion) is just not consistent with what it does (blow a clean hole in the ground).
also you see solid rock, it's not really generic soil
this is a fair point. they're next to a cliff already and the ground is solid, so i don't mind switching it out for rock. (8-A, 148 tons)

Using the distance I got from the Zaku and since the Gundam at least seems to be hit in an omnidirectional blast, I got 2 kilotons

(62770)/(4π((13.5)^2)) = 27.4

27.4* 87 = 2.397 kilotons

At least assuming the portion that hits the Gundam works like that should be fine, since it ignores the explosion being stronger at the epicenter, I think thisbis probably fine as a lowball

You can import the ang scaled distance from my imgur calc if you want, just copy paste it and the images

I should help with finding the distance from the second Zaku too

Last edited:
I don't think it'd be much different. The only change in the calculation would be its surface area, which is gonna be slightly lower on account of it being slightly smaller (17.5m vs 18m) but that's really it.
That's pretty much why I'm asking. Zakus are significantly less durable than the RX-2 (like to the point where volleys capable of one-shotting Zakus will bounce off it), since they're made of a titanium-ceramic composite rather than Luna Titanium.

Anything from MBT cannons to AA guns can at least damage a Zaku, so it scales to the majority of the verse whereas the RX-2 doesn't.

Last edited:
That's pretty much why I'm asking. Zakus are significantly less durable than the RX-2 (like to the point where volleys capable of one-shotting Zakus will bounce off it), since they're made of a titanium-ceramic composite rather than Luna Titanium.

Anything from MBT cannons to AA guns can at least damage a Zaku, so it scales to the majority of the verse whereas the RX-2 doesn't.
Ah, okay then. Makes sense, especially with the part about Zaku munitions just bouncing right off RX-78, I'll do the same surface area thingy if I can find a good frontal shot of the Zaku II in official art or w/e.

Not an outlier either because Amuro pulls it off too in later episodes, and it's just something that characters do very often in the series

Thinking now about Zeta AP, I think it can be solidly upscaled from the original since there's more asteroid dispersal feats

Char's Red Zaku was retconned later in Gunpla to only be a 1/3th faster than a normal one. I'll look for the source tomorrow.

i think 0079 ep 9 had the RX78 jumping really high (which normally can get good LS if they go really high, potentially even better than just Class 50 for being that heavy) but i had a second look and it's mostly assisted by the rocket boosters
sad!

am i right in understanding that pretty much all post-OYW gundams should be faster than anything shown during the OYW since movable frames became commonplace? dumping the concept of being heavily armored since beam weapons were similarly commonplace and would oneshot regardless, so lighter = faster?

How do you guys feel about scaling durability to beams
Like if they deflect off shields and stuff
I mean for shield's it's fine. But for the MS' durability, I feel it's wack? Because generally, mobile suits tend to get one shot by beam weapons.

How do you guys feel about scaling durability to beams
Like if they deflect off shields and stuff
ehh
i believe most, if not all gundam shields get their use from I-field generators which are specifically made to deflect beam shots (feel free to correct me if i'm wrong)
stated here that I-fields have no effect on more traditional weaponry like missiles and projectiles which makes me think it's not a thing of having higher dura

Back