• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Mythology Heracles/Hercules Downgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spinosaurus75DinosaurFan

VS Battles
Calculation Group
Heracles/Hercules is currently rated as 6-C for holding up the sky. However, unlike the Riordanverse, the sky was not dropped onto him. He simply took the weight from Atlas, then tricked Atlas into taking the sky back. As we agreed a while ago, lifting strength does not scale to attack potency anymore.

We should probably try calculating the mountain busting calculation.

I think we agreed that lifting strength doesn't equate to AP if it isn't in a rapid motion, so yeah, this downgrade is fine.

Which mountain did he blow up BTW?

Either way, if the mountain is pretty large, I bet it'd be a good chance to get back to Tier 6.

OK so he apparently blew up the mountain that united Spain and Gibraltar

Pretty sure Hercules smashed it with his bare hands. Try frag and v. frag as your ends.

Using 23 km as the diameter - 11.5 km as radius = 1,150,000 cc. According to our Mountain_and_Island_level_requirements it uses a conical shape where r = h.

Volume of Cone: pi*r^2*h/3 = 3.141592654*1.15e+6^2*1.15e+6/3 = 1.59266e+18 cc

Fragmentation: 1.59266e+18 cc * 8 J/cc = 1.27413e+19 J (High 7-A / Large Mountain Level)

Violent Fragmentation: 1.59266e+18 cc * 69 J/cc = 1.09893e+20 J (6-C / Island Level)

Pulverization: 1.59266e+18 cc * 214 J/cc = 3.40829e+20 J (6-C / Island Level)

I think.

Guestimation? The average of the three peaks involved comes out to ~ 490 m. If you think a different number is better though, it wouldn't be difficult to change it.

Has the calculation been placed in a blog post?

You know, after looking at the three sources referenced on Wikipedia, it looks like it's 2v1 in favor of some kind of continental movement, rather than mountain smashing. I posted the three sources in the comment section of the blog. I don't know how to calc pushing continents though.

Seneca, Hercules Oetaeus (1240) Did rocky Calpe, shattered by these hands, Let out the sea?. [This one seems to support Herc Smash.]

Seneca, Hercules Furens (235ff) he clove the mountains on either hand and, rending the barrier, made a wide path for Ocean's rushing stream. [Clove is past tense of Cleave, which means split in two. This would be Herc Smashes the mountains and opens the Strait of Gibraltar.]

Diodorus Siculus [4.18.5] "And since he wished to leave upon the ocean a monument which would be had in everlasting remembrance, he built out both the promontories, they say, to a great distance; consequently, whereas before that time a great space had stood between them, he now narrowed the passage, in order that by making it shallow and narrow he might prevent the great sea-monsters from passing out of the ocean into the inner sea, and that at the same time the fame of their builder might be held in everlasting remembrance by reason of the magnitude of the structures." [Pulls the continents together an unknown distance].

"Some authorities, however, say just the opposite, namely, that the two continents were originally joined and that he cult a passage between them, and that by opening the passage he brought it about that the ocean was mingled with our sea." [Pushes the continents apart].

I have to unsubscribe from this thread due to time constraints. You can notify me later via my message wall if you need my help after you have reached a conclusion.

It seems he either pushed two mountains hard enough they ended up 23 km apart, or moved the continents themselves, depending on how you want to take it.

This is tricky, since there are multiply sources stating Herc did different feats. Hell, one of the sources you posted even said they don't know if he pulled Africa and Europe together or apart. I would say pick the feat that has the lowest AP to be on the safe side (Which is probably the moutain smashing feat)

In the first depiction I ever saw of this feat, he pushed Spain from Africa to create the Strait of Gigraltar, other sources like Wikipedia say he smashed through it. The Strait of Gibraltar is 36 miles (58 km) long and narrows to 8 miles (13 km) in width betwee Point Marroquí (Spai) and Point Cires (Morocco), so that little gap was once filled with rock before Hercules smashed it into nothing as we see today.

Violent fragmentation or pulverization seem more fitting since it implies there was nothing left of what joined Spain and Africa.

I did a rough calc of the landmass consisting of Spain and Portugal being moved at 13 m/s. The KE was nearly 2.34e20 J (6-C or Island level). I will later put it into a blog. What should the timeframe for this moving feat really be anyway?

How'd you figure out the mass of Portugal and Spain, too? Separately, as well... The two are attached and are a peninsula. Could the collective mass of the Iberian Peninsula not be calculated (or found)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back