• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Short and lackluster with no effort

The following characters shouldn't have Soul Manipulation as an ability seeing as they do not fit our definition of it. They do however fit the definition of NPI which they already have.
Soul Manipulation is the ability to interact with one's soul or the souls of others. This ability ranges from being able to project the power of one's soul outward, grasping and ripping the souls of others out of their bodies, outright consuming souls to gain power, among other applications.

Generally speaking, we judge the potency of Soul Manipulation both by what it can do and by how many people its user can affect at once with it. This may range from only a few people at a time to entire planetary populations.

When judging the potency of Soul Manipulation, and the resistance against it, there is a variety of factors to be considered. Such as the mechanisms involved, how many people the Soul Manipulation can affect, whether it has demonstrated to break through resistances, how great the effects are, etc.

It should be noted that the ability to interact with souls and other non-corporeal entities directly as if they were physical objects is usually considered Non-Physical Interaction and does not grant the user the ability to manipulate souls in other contexts.

Under normal circumstances, most characters are assumed to have a soul by default unless the original medium specifies otherwise. Those who do not possess soul are usually considered to be immune to most applications of Soul Manipulation.

The reason they have it in the first place is based off of the following scan of Naruto playing tug of war with his. And as we note on the Soul Manip page interacting with souls and other non-corporeal entities directly as if they were physical objects is usually considered Non-Physical Interaction and does not grant the user the ability to manipulate souls in other contexts.

Soul Manipulation and Non-Physical Interaction (Tailed Beast Chakra Arms users can interact with the soul)
Resistance to Soul Manipulation (Resisted Nagato's attempt to extract his soul, although he was saved by Itachi soon after)

Once Nagato's arm is cut off it goes right back into him.
0551-008.png

Character that would be affected by this change are Gaara, Yugito Nii, Yagura Karatachi, Roshi, Fu, Killer B, Naruto Uzumaki. I do not include Obito or Madara since they have the Rinnagan which grants them soul manip abilities.

Agrees - LordGriffin1000(fine with removing it or adding limited soul manip), Excel616, Damage3245, Nierre, BrackishBrineBroth

Neutrals -

Disagrees - Deceived3596

Last edited:
Soul Manipulation is the ability to interact with one's soul or the souls of others. This ability ranges from being able to project the power of one's soul outward, grasping and ripping the souls of others out of their bodies, outright consuming souls to gain power, among other applications.

The reason they have it in the first place is based off of the following scan of Naruto playing tug of war with his.
You do know that it being NPI doesn't mean it can't be soul manipulation, right?
In fact, it's NPI and Soul Manipulation on the pages
And as we note on the Soul Manip page interacting with souls and other non-corporeal entities directly as if they were physical objects is usually considered Non-Physical Interaction and does not grant the user the ability to manipulate souls in other contexts.
I mean
Nobody is claiming that they can do big mom type shit

You do know that it being NPI doesn't mean it can't be soul manipulation, right?
In fact, it's NPI and Soul Manipulation on the pages
Did Naruto or any jin display any soul manip abilities? Also you left out the and part of the second bold area. which was the following.
grasping and ripping the souls of others out of their bodies
We make it a point to point out the following.
It should be noted that the ability to interact with souls and other non-corporeal entities directly as if they were physical objects is usually considered Non-Physical Interaction and does not grant the user the ability to manipulate souls in other contexts.
What does Naruto do in the scan? Tell me. It's like he does the above exactly as we worded it.
I mean
Nobody is claiming that they can do big mom type shit
I don't read one piece so it kinda lost on me.

Last edited:

As Kabuto mentioned, it takes your soul and kills you, it extracts the souls of others from their bodies as mentioned on the wiki page, it directly consumes souls to gain power, among other applications Naruto resisted Nagato's soul being separated from his body. He both NPI and soul manipulation resistance.

It's basically just the ability to touch souls which is a version of Non-Physical Interaction. No real manipulation is being done on Naruto's part other than touching it, which at it's absolute best would be grounds for "limited" soul manipulation and even then I'm someone who would simply not add it at that point (Heck I didn't give it to characters from verses I revise) given NPI with a detailed description would explain it but that's me, I really don't care. We know he doesn't have full on soul manipulation to some fantastic degree so as long as it's explained properly it's not going to cause issue regardless of if it's removed or not in my honest opinion.

It's basically just the ability to touch souls which is a version of Non-Physical Interaction. No real manipulation is being done on Naruto's part other than touching it,
dirty-docks-shawty.gif

which at it's absolute best would be grounds for "limited" soul manipulation and even then I'm someone who would simply not add it at that point (Heck I didn't give it to characters from verses I revise) given NPI with a detailed description would explain it but that's me, I really don't care. We know he doesn't have full on soul manipulation to some fantastic degree so as long as it's explained properly it's not going to cause issue regardless of if it's removed or not in my honest opinion.
Can I put you down as an Agree as long as it's explained properly?

Soul Manipulation and Non-Physical Interaction (Tailed Beast Chakra Arms users can interact with the soul)
Yeah just interaction won't grant an ability to manipulate them.

It's like saying someone has NPI for CM type 1 so he can manipulate CM type 1 itself which is dumb.

So it should be only listed as NPI not Manipulation of ability.

Well unless there is another scans shows these characters can manipulate souls just interaction feat should be treated as NPI only.

This entire thread misunderstands two crucial points:

1. The differentials between Non-Physical Interaction and Soul Manipulation

2. The feat in question.

I agree that only interacting with normally intangible objects as if they were solid, such as an incorporeal soul, would only be classified as Non-Physical Interaction. I don't agree that in Naruto's case he's only grasping his soul and that's it.

See, when actually broken down scan by scan, we can clearly see that Naruto didn't just grasp his soul, and after the connection with Nagato was broken, the soul magically re-entered his body. We can see that Naruto did grasp his soul, but after the connection was broken, we can still see his soul is still outside of his body, proving that breaking the connection didn't cause the soul to re-enter his form. It was only after Itachi moved both Bee and Naruto that we can see his soul isn't protruding out of his body anymore. Implying that Naruto placed it back into himself by then.

This would be classified as Soul Manipulation since he's capable of placing his soul back into his body after it was mostly removed by Nagato, someone with just Non-Physical Interaction couldn't do this as this wasn't a byproduct of just interacting with it as if it was physical, you couldn't just place your soul back into your body after it was removed just through being capable physically grasping it, that conditionally requires a level of manipulation to occur. It also directly contradicts what's explained by the Soul Manipulation page itself.

Naruto's feat would be classified under interacting with his own soul, and doing the reverse of ripping someone's soul out, which was him placing his soul back into his own body.

I believe I have demonstrably proven that the OP's claims are incorrect and are created through misunderstanding the feat in question and the differentials between Soul Manipulation and Non-Physical Interaction.

I do agree that the actual explanation should be revised for further clarity as it doesn't explain what exact type of soul manipulation Jins have.

We can see that Naruto did grasp his soul, but after the connection was broken, we can still see his soul is still outside of his body, proving that breaking the connection didn't cause the soul to re-enter his form. It was only after Itachi moved both Bee and Naruto that we can see his soul isn't protruding out of his body anymore. Implying that Naruto placed it back into himself by then.
Couldn't this simply be explained by the soul re-entering his body not being an instantaneous process but just something that takes a second (or given how quick the characters are, even less)?

I don't see any implication that Naruto placed it back back into himself.

Couldn't this simply be explained by the soul re-entering his body not being an instantaneous process but just something that takes a second?

I don't see any implication that Naruto placed it back back into himself.
You can interpret that scene as such, but I don't believe those are equal interpretations, and even if I believed they were, the ability would only be downgraded to a possibly as both interpretations have relative levels of probability. It wouldn't fully remove the ability as the OP is suggesting it should.

Okay. I'm currently leaning in favor of removing the Soul Manipulation part and keeping it just as Non-Physical Interaction, like LordGriffin.

This entire thread misunderstands two crucial points:

1. The differentials between Non-Physical Interaction and Soul Manipulation

2. The feat in question.

I agree that only interacting with normally intangible objects as if they were solid, such as an incorporeal soul, would only be classified as Non-Physical Interaction. I don't agree that in Naruto's case he's only grasping his soul and that's it.
Agreed with NPI.
See, when actually broken down scan by scan, we can clearly see that Naruto didn't just grasp his soul, and after the connection with Nagato was broken, the soul magically re-entered his body. We can see that Naruto did grasp his soul, but after the connection was broken, we can still see his soul is still outside of his body, proving that breaking the connection didn't cause the soul to re-enter his form. It was only after Itachi moved both Bee and Naruto that we can see his soul isn't protruding out of his body anymore. Implying that Naruto placed it back into himself by then.
The second scan you use "we can still see his soul is still outside of his body" we see it hanging out but still connected in the next panel is already back in him. From the scans used it looks like it just went back inside of him since it wasn't being pulled out anymore by Nagato the one who does have the soul manipulation. Naruto isn't manipulating anything in the scans he only physically grabbing it and playing tug of war with his soul after Nagato grabbed it and started pulling it out.
This would be classified as Soul Manipulation since he's capable of placing his soul back into his body after it was mostly removed by Nagato, someone with just Non-Physical Interaction couldn't do this as this wasn't a byproduct of just interacting with it as if it was physical, you couldn't just place your soul back into your body after it was removed just through being capable physically grasping it, that conditionally requires a level of manipulation to occur. It also directly contradicts what's explained by the Soul Manipulation page itself.

Naruto's feat would be classified under interacting with his own soul, and doing the reverse of ripping someone's soul out, which was him placing his soul back into his own body.
Which fits under our definition of NPI. Which Naruto was obviously displaying instead of Soul Manipulation.
The power to interact with intangible or non-corporeal beings or objects. Users can both see and interact with intangible, or non-corporeal, abstract, and nonexistent objects or life-forms and entities, allowing them to make physical contact and possibly cause harm.

It should be noted that the ability to interact with souls and other non-corporeal entities directly as if they were physical objects is usually considered Non-Physical Interaction and does not grant the user the ability to manipulate them in other contexts.
I do agree that the actual explanation should be revised for further clarity as it doesn't explain what exact type of soul manipulation Jins have.
If this doesn't pass plz someone do this.

I completely agree with op. Naruto's resistance to soul manipulation has always bugged me anyway, what with how limited it is in-context. The reason why I never created a thread for it is because I didn't want to be dogpiled by Naruto fans.

Okay. I'm currently leaning in favor of removing the Soul Manipulation part and keeping it just as Non-Physical Interaction, like LordGriffin.
May you clarify why you aren't leaning towards a "possibly" rating, or another prefix like limited, is the claim provided by the OP that more supported by the evidence compared to mine?.

The second scan you use "we can still see his soul is still outside of his body" we see it hanging out but still connected in the next panel is already back in him. From the scans used it looks like it just went back inside of him since it wasn't being pulled out anymore by Nagato the one who does have the soul manipulation. Naruto isn't manipulating anything in the scans he only physically grabbing it and playing tug of war with his soul after Nagato grabbed it and started pulling it out.
I don't agree with that interpretation. Naruto, regardless of if he was still actively pulling or not, would still experience the residual force generated from him pulling his soul previously. To use an example, imagine two people having a tug of war with a rope, both are pulling with equal force in two opposite directions. If you were to split the rope down the middle, both sliced sections would be flung to where the force was generated, which would be the two opposite directions that both people were pulling from.

This exact instance could have happened with Naruto, he and Nagato were having a tug of war with his soul, Itachi split the metaphorical "rope" down the middle, and the residual force created through that previous tug caused Naruto to pull his soul back into his body. What's your counter argument against this interpretation having similar levels of probability as your claim.

Nagato having direct statements and feats of Soul Manipulation doesn't mean we'd assume he was the only reason that Naruto's soul re-entered his body, that doesn't logically follow. Especially when Naruto himself has feats of interacting with his own soul, both claims are equally as probable if we were to follow that line of logic.

Which fits under our definition of NPI. Which Naruto was obviously displaying instead of Soul Manipulation.
Doing the reverse of ripping someone's soul out wouldn't fit under our definition of Non-Physical Interaction entirely, the act of interaction with said intangible object would be NPI, but pulling your soul back into yourself would be considered as a form of Soul Manipulation.

Tbf, with the ability itself I’m sort of neutral

But I disagree with the resistance because even if you want to look at the ability as just NPI, naruto is still using it to resist his soul being snatched from his body
It's just a strength feat.

I don’t see how that changes the fact that he’s literally resisting having his soul taken. Nagato used soul manip on him, and regardless of the method naruto could resist
I mean, he was barely holding on to it and it's heavily implied that he was going to lose his grip had Itachi not intervened. Plus a lot of soul abilities on the site don't grab and yank the soul like the rinnegan does; they target the soul to attack and damage directly.

I mean, he was barely holding on to it and it's heavily implied that he was going to lose his grip had Itachi not intervened.
Well sure but it still shows a degree of resisting soul manipulation. We saw during the pain arc how quickly the rinnegan can snatch the soul of someone who can’t resist, yet naruto was able to resist it long enough for the process to be cut short by itachi. This was multiple pages of naruto hanging on and tbh if we bring up implications, I think it could be fair to say that it’s implied naruto’s resistance could’ve possibly improved a bit. Because right before itachi intervened, killer bee reminded him about his tug of war with kurama in hopes that it would keep him from getting soul ripped

Plus a lot of soul abilities on the site don't grab and yank the soul like the rinnegan does; they target the soul to attack and damage directly.
I mean it’s still soul manipulation though. In this case it really isn’t intended to damage a soul, but to just straight up take it. With situations like that I’m pretty sure it isn’t that uncommon for a soul to be forcibly yanked. And even if it is, it doesn’t change the fact that it’s a move which specifically targets the soul

Cool, here's the list of profiles that need to be unlocked.

Bijū​

https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/Shukaku_(Ichibi)
https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/Matatabi_(Nibi)
https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/Isobu_(Sanbi)
https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/Son_Gokū_(Yonbi)
https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/Kokuo_(Gobi)
https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/Saiken_(Rokubi)
https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/Chōmei_(Nanabi)
https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/Kurama_(Kyūbi)
https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/Shinju_(Jūbi)

Jinchūriki​

https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/Gaara
https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/Yugito_Nii
https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/Yagura_Karatachi
https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/Rōshi_(Naruto)
https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/Fū_(Naruto)
https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/Killer_B
https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/Naruto_Uzumaki_(Part_II:_War_Arc)#Kurama_Chakra_Mode
https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/Obito_Uchiha#Jūbi_Jinchūriki
https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/Madara_Uchiha#Jūbi_Jinchūriki

The old one
Soul Manipulation and Non-Physical Interaction with Tailed Beast Chakra Arms (Tailed Beast Chakra Arms users can interact with the soul)
The new one
Non-Physical Interaction with Tailed Beast Chakra Arms (Tailed Beast Chakra Arms users can physically interact with intangible objects like their soul when it's halfway extracted from them)
Will make the changes later today when I'm not busy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back