• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

New Feature! General Discussion Template.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImmortalDread

Call me Dread
Username Only
VS Battles
Retired
E3DIzp9.jpg

Introduction​

Hey! Been active user for a bit. (will be semi-active once college semesters comes back). So I noticed that something is lacking in these verse pages. It's been difficult to search for the said verse general discussion. So I thought, creating a template which only requires some steps (easy ones) won't hurt.

Concept Explanation in Depth

The concept I propose entails the development of a new template for general discussions that would resemble our existing hashtag template. Each verse within this wiki would have its dedicated general discussion thread, where individuals could engage in conversations, debates, and exchanges of ideas pertaining to the verse and its associated characters. The primary objective is to enhance the user experience and accessibility by introducing a distinct section within the profile standards.

To achieve this, I envision adding a complete new section to the profile standards, allowing visitors to conveniently click on a designated link that would redirect them to the respective verse's general discussion. This implementation aims to create a more user-friendly interface, facilitating easy navigation and encouraging active participation from users.

Template Usage​

So how it works exactly? Well, let's test it. I added to this page (my favorite verse) and you when you click on it, it redirects you to this page. Sounds simple? Well ya, but also since our system does not recognize those discussions as “General Discussion”, we need to add some steps in the template. And it will be easy!

Each template in Fandom starts with {{ and ends with }}. Common known concept. This template will be:

{{GeneralDiscussion}}

To add the general discussion, you need to add "|" and then the link of general discussion. It is simple. Just like that.
CSS:
{{GeneralDiscussion|https://vsbattles.com/threads/apex-legends-general-discussion.155761/}}

Where do you add this template?​

After {{Discussions}}, it should look like this in source editor:

2ab98ec0b405093a98bcaa9cc14b44f2.png

Does it work on mobile?​

Absolutely, it is like any other template. Although, as any wiki editor, I always prefer doing it in source editors. It also works on visual editor!

Important Links​

Last edited:
interesting ! The same old same old general would be tiresome to look at ig and this could spruce things up. I probably won't use it but thx for letting us know xD

Meh. I can't find many reasons to care either way about this addition.

One potential query against would be, are there ever cases where there's multiple general discussions for one verse? Possibly due to a series being so large that it has multiple for different facets, possibly due to one containing spoilers for recent releases and another not, and possibly due to a group of users getting disgruntled with the main one. That could muddy this up, but I don't expect that to be a big deal.

When I initially heard about this, I was pretty excited, thinking that it'd be approaching the original level of integration verse pages had with forum threads before the split. But now that I see it, the narrow scope, and how manual it is, I don't really care.

This is the appearance when utilizing the visual editor. All you need to do is take the link from the initial page of the general discussion, then proceed to the templates section and insert the link there. The process functions similarly to any other template usage.

One potential query against would be, are there ever cases where there's multiple general discussions for one verse? Possibly due to a series being so large that it has multiple for different facets, possibly due to one containing spoilers for recent releases and another not, and possibly due to a group of users getting disgruntled with the main one. That could muddy this up, but I don't expect that to be a big deal.
Ya I thought about it too. For example One Piece has many general discussions, but they also have one primary general discussion too. So I guess insert the primary ones instead of those recent releases general discussions.

As for series like Webnovel/Lightnovel ones, I am not sure. For example Slime has a general discussion for both. I am not sure which issue would this occur to any verse currently.
When I initially heard about this, I was pretty excited, thinking that it'd be approaching the original level of integration verse pages had with forum threads before the split. But now that I see it, the narrow scope, and how manual it is, I don't really care.
This is only possible between Fandom and Fandom threads, not Fandom and external platform, the latter requires me to touch administrative tools, which ya, not possible for me either.

As much as I hate, but also there is no automatic way to pick which verse has for which general discussion since the titles are also not even matching.

Tag automation will be difficult unless you want to make a unique hashtag for each general discussion, but this doesn't assist because you need thread moderators needs to go through each general discussion and add it there.
  • Title matching automatic detection
  • Unique hashtag automatic detection

Last edited:
rip, yeah I figured

I think this could be a feature with some of the larger verses but for smaller ones I don't see a point. It's just not feasible for most verses on the wiki to have a general discussion thread. Just not enough people involved.

Maybe

vsforum:threads/155761

Can be used as link instead of providing the whole link

https://vsbattles.com/threads/apex-legends-general-discussion.155761/

I think this could be a feature with some of the larger verses but for smaller ones I don't see a point. It's just not feasible for most verses on the wiki to have a general discussion thread. Just not enough people involved.
Yeah, I think this should be left on a case-by-case basis as well, but the idea is great and the template is handy.

I see no harm in implementing this, its a net positive for verses that are really active and have their discussion thread buried under tons of versus and crt threads.

Maybe

vsforum:threads/155761

Can be used as link instead of providing the whole link

https://vsbattles.com/threads/apex-legends-general-discussion.155761/
Thanks for suggestion, I will note it down

Edit: nvm, it does not work as it only support links.

Neutral, harmless, idrc about it.

I don't think we are able to do it mandatory, since not each verse has its own general discussion. But I guess it is not bad implementation. I mean, it bothers me to use the advanced Search feature to search through tons of general discussions to find it, if I just can use this feature with one click.

Although thanks for y'all comments, we still need to create a draft and add it to the verse page standard format. And I will be able adding it to all common verses that has general discussion (a bit of help will be appreciated)

This as well. However, I'm afraid I won't be arguing for this topic, as it appears to be unnecessary. RvR is a good place to address any user complaints.

Last edited:
I agree with MonkeMan tbh. This isn't announcing something that was already accepted, or an important news event, it's trying to change the standards of the wiki. It should really be in the staff discussions subforum.

Minor change but yea, fair enough. I've moved the thread.

No blame should be attributed in this situation. I asked her to relocate the thread because it aligns with my comprehension of the typical functioning of this category.

Given that this is a staff deliberation, I strongly suggest refraining from such posts as they merely divert the focus of the discussion.

@Tonygameman I've deleted your comment since it's a staff only thread, you didn't mention who gave you permission to post, and you didn't bring up any new points. Please refrain from similar comments in the future.

Somebody should probably start a new content revision thread for this project and then post a link to it here, after which we can close this thread.

Not sure if this is going to work since we only agreed that this template is optional and is not feasible for small verses where they don't have any general discussion.

The only thing I can do here is to add a note that there is a possibility to add it to the verse page.
What do you propose we do?

What do you propose we do?
I will create a small note (section) explaining how this template (idea) works.

But it should be noted, we only agreed to make this as optional, so an additional following thread is redundant.

I am currently at driving school, so I can't do it atm.

I will create a small note (section) explaining how this template (idea) works.

But it should be noted, we only agreed to make this as optional, so an additional following thread is redundant.

I am currently at driving school, so I can't do it atm.
@ImmortalDread Can you do it now?

It should be placed under “Discussions Template” section as “General Discussion Template

This is how a note should look like:
We also provide a new template that allows you to incorporate a bottom section similar to hashtag/discussion functionality on the verse pages. This facilitates linking to their corresponding general discussions for more convenient navigation.

The template is structured as follows:

{{GeneralDiscussion|<General Discussion Link>}}

To include the general discussion link, insert "|" after "GeneralDiscussion" and then add the link to the general discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back