• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

New Formatting Proposal

Status
Not open for further replies.
well I already edit it so that abilities and resistance is already at separate tabs

I'll be honest, that looks like an even more works if you want to separate abilities and hax
Ya, I was thinking about this long ago but never thought of creating a CRT for it. It is way better for long indexed users, you can separate it, and it looks better.
I can create a blog which abilities and powers goes to abilities and manipulations goes to manipulations and also “others” categories. Honestly, let's be all honest, since when immortality is a power or ability? It is not.

Given that we can't use page numbers already because of massive variation between editions, nor do we use timestamps for movies or game missions because they vary too much, pretty much out of the question to use several references for each scan even if they just share the same chapter.

A better proposal would be to limit the blue text to just the key words of the act being carried out, instead of hyperlinking the entire goddamn sentence. Kratos is a good example of cutting down the blue text massively.
My idea ya ^^ (I actually did not copy it from Kratos, was my thought yikes) or the new suggestion I added

A better proposal would be to limit the blue text to just the key words of the act being carried out, instead of hyperlinking the entire goddamn sentence.
This honestly looks way worse then hyperlinking the entire sentence.

I've seen profiles like Kratos and Hades from GOW that have this and imma be honest with you and say i don't like it at all.

It's way more jarring to read compared to hyperlinking the entire sentence, mostly because its going from white text to a singular blue word which can somewhat **** with your eyesight and thus your enjoyment of reading the profile.

Oh, like that? Ya it looks perfect ngl

Also I would like to suggest something (I know it is not related to this)

Viper (valorant)

09b7e4259576e895c848eaf76348e848.png

One of the pages I have made for my favorite game, and if you see carefully, I used icons to separate it, and it is actually way recognizable. A lot of notable Attacks and techniques needs a better formatting.

Alright, so here. Again, compare "Original Form" with "After Step 1". The Telekinesis explanation links 3 scans in the original (random images I chose for example sake) and after moving them into references, there are three references besides the explanation in which the "scans" can be found.

There has always been a lot of flexibility in the Notable Attacks sections.

Given that we can't use page numbers already because of massive variation between editions, nor do we use timestamps for movies or game missions because they vary too much, pretty much out of the question to use several references for each scan even if they just share the same chapter.

A better proposal would be to limit the blue text to just the key words of the act being carried out, instead of hyperlinking the entire goddamn sentence. Kratos is a good example of cutting down the blue text massively.
? Maybe you misunderstand. What I suggest is to just put a link to the scan into the references. Not to just describe which chapter the scan is from without actually linking the scan. Like this page Decieved linked.

Alright, so here. Again, compare "Original Form" with "After Step 1". The Telekinesis explanation links 3 scans in the original (random images I chose for example sake) and after moving them into references, there are three references besides the explanation in which the "scans" can be found.
Someone else shared the page that you referred. Thanks

yeah honestly, I just want to add another option for formatting the P&As, but i guess DontTalkDT has his own plan regarding this

A better proposal would be to limit the blue text to just the key words of the act being carried out, instead of hyperlinking the entire goddamn sentence.
Hasn't this been a practice for years? I recall Garou's entire P&A was overhauled because there was too much blue text.

There really isn't any need to link to images in references, especially considering the references are what the citations go; or remove every single link, because the text is hyperlinked with the sole purpose of giving viewers immediate access to the evidence.

I mean, not to toot my own horn, but I've got some pretty good examples of my own of the proposed changes working. We don't really need to overhaul the entire way we format P&A.

? Maybe you misunderstand. What I suggest is to just put a link to the scan into the references. Not to just describe which chapter the scan is from without actually linking the scan. Like this page Decieved linked.
Nah, I got what you meant, that's why I linked Kratos to begin with, what I wanted to say was that it's not really a good idea to link the scan into the reference itself if you're going to use that reference multiple times for other feats present within the same chapter.

Hasn't this been a practice for years? I recall Garou's entire P&A was overhauled because there was too much blue text.
You'd be surprised at just how many profiles hyperlink the entire goddamn sentence instead of just the key main words, which explains why most of those profiles look like an eyesore.

There really isn't any need to link to images in references, especially considering the references are what the citations go; or remove every single link, because the text is hyperlinked with the sole purpose of giving viewers immediate access to the evidence.
Pretty much in full agreement with this myself.

Y'all still having these peanut gallery conversations in this thread 🗿

Stay on topic, don't want this simple thread to become multiple pages long because we keep discussion irrelevant shit to what's being proposed in the OP.

Alright, anyone disagree on this?
https://vsbattles.com/threads/new-formatting-proposal.140175/post-4968754

It is the main solution for long indexed characters / with a lot of hax. In addition, the format style by @DontTalkDT
I'll be honest, it just looks a bit complicated to me, not in the editting part but the grouping part, if you want to be like that then the categories at the VSBW as the whole needs to have revision since like you said, Immortality is technically not a hax nor abilities but we still group all of them the same

I very much disagree with it. That is not the purpose of tabbers.
Isn't the purpose of tabbers to separate them?
🗿

This literally has nothing to do with the main premise of the OP....

The main premise is should we allow bolded abilities on profiles without using the bulleted format...

This is completely irrelevant to that premise...
Alright, I will soon create a CRT for it. Need to create a blog first explaining it.
I'll be honest, it just looks a bit complicated to me, not in the editting part but the grouping part, if you want to be like that then the categories at the VSBW as the whole needs to have revision since like you said, Immortality is technically not a hax nor abilities but we still group all of them the same
Then, we create a blog for grouping part to make it easier? I will be fair with you, but since when those “abilities” are abilities and powers?

— duality/transduality
— immortality / longevity
— acausality /abstract existence / NEP / Non-Physical Interaction

and there are many more? What am I suggesting is, to group those “none-abilities” (in fact those are nature from character) to "others"

So this is a thread not for that specific profile, but profiles in general?

If the listed format isn't being replaced, then fine, I don't mind if people want to do this for certain profiles. But I don't think we should just get rid of bullet points on existing profiles just because of this.
This pretty much sums up my thoughts on the matter.
I think both formats should be allowed to exist, because both look really good depending on the profile in question.

There's a lot of unrelated discussions in this thread going on that I don't think are helpful but showcase that ultimately people are going to be flexible in indexing verses. And I think that just speaks even more to the fact that we shouldn't randomly forbid certain styles over others.

Let's not shift the discussion to that folks, they can coexist, we officially™️ approved them and starting a fight won't change that.
In fact, I would bring attention to the fact that despite how many people here think bullet points are ugly (and made it very clear in the thread to approve that format), we still allowed them since a lot of people thought they had usage.

So "I don't think the bold P&A looks good" is an equally subjective opinion that should be ignored when the majority clearly disagrees and not a valid reason to block something.

Last edited:
I just want to note that bullet points for P&A are an affront to God.

They leave so much dead space it's actually bad to look at. I would much prefer bolding over bullet points any day of the week.
Noted.

They're still useful though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back