• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

New polls suggestions thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry. Andy is correct. We already used something very similar. You can check the first post if you wish.

"Favourite anime villain" or just "Favourite villain" would probably be good ideas, yes. Do you have any suggestions for iconic villains to choose from?

Anime villain I would suggest Johan Liebert. His show isn't mainstream, but he himself is pretty famous among anime fans

Okay.

Anyway, it is time to replace the current poll. Should we merge together the "favourite anime/manga" and "favourite shounen anime/manga" options into a single poll? The options might seem a bit limited otherwise.

A combined poll would look like this:

Which is anime/manga series do you like most?

Attack on Titan

Bleach

Cowboy Bebop

Death Note

Doraemon

Dragon Ball

Fairy Tail

Fist of the North Star/Hokuto No Ken

Fullmetal Alchemist

Gurren Lagann

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure

My Hero Academia

Naruto

Nanatsu No Taizai/The Seven Deadly Sins

Neon Genesis Evangelion

One Piece

One Punch Man

Pokémon

Sailor Moon

Saint Seiya

Tokyo Ghoul

Yu Yu Hakusho

Or would that be too many options?

Never mind. I used the original, shorter, version.

So any suggestions for the "Favourite villain" and "Favourite anime villain" polls?

Maybe Darth Vader, Doctor Doom, Bowser, Ganondorf, Sephiroth, Joker, and Thanos for a start?

I think that all those suggestions seem fine except for Hisoka. He isn't iconic or well-known enough.

If we were to do "Favourite Anime Villains", Hisoka would be fine.

But since this is just "Fictional villains in general". I don't think he would be iconic enough to fit.

Sosuke Aizen, Frieza, Madara, Mereuem, Dio, Marshall D. Teach - most known from anime in my opinion

Johan Liebert, Shishio Makoto, Light Yagami, Legato Bluesummers, Naraku, Griffith, Yakushiji Tenzen, Ikari Gendo, Father, Shougo Makishima, Charles Zi Britannia, Junko Enoshima, Mother Isabella.

Hope this list helps you to find some.

Well I thought Hunter x Hunter was famous, I guess I was wrong.

Here are some more Cersei, Sarah Kerrigan, Gus from Breaking Bad, Hannibal Lecter, The Lich King/Arthas and since this is in general maybe Mephistopheles?

Something like this then?

Who do you think is the best villain?

Bowser

Cersei Lannister

Darkseid

Darth Vader

Dio Brando

Doctor Doom

Frieza

Ganondorf

Griffith

Hannibal Lecter

Johan Liebert

The Joker

Madara Uchiha

Marshall D. Teach

Sephiroth

Sōsuke Aizen

Thanos

I do not think that it seems well known enough.

Too many options. I think we should split it.

Also Light Yagami isn't a villain.

I will remove Light, but think that the poll looks fine otherwise. We have had quite a lot of options in earlier polls as well.

A person who proclaimed himself god and killed countless people for his goal while being unambiguosly an enemy of the law? Sounds like a villain to me

Countless evil people to achieve world peace. He had opposing views and his means were different, but his goal was not evil. You can call him antagonist (if you believe L was the protag even tho Light was the protag of the show) or you can call him anti-hero. But he sure as hell isn't a villain any more than the guy who is a god and kills countless people .

AKM sama said:
Too many options. I think we should split it.
Also Light Yagami isn't a villain.
Nah according Villain wiki saying Light Yagami is the main protagonist of the Death Note manga/anime series.

I feel like you have your terms confused, protagonist is just who the story focuses on while antagonist is who opposes him, he is definitely the protagonist but that doesn't mean he's the hero

And are you actually going to say that having a noble motive but achieving it through the wrong means doesn't make you the villain? That is literally one of the most sought after traits in a villain there is

Andy is right.

The same thing could be said about Walter White from Breaking Bad. He tried to justify that what he did as good as it was for his family but in the end, it was all for him. Walter White is also a Villain, better than Gus in my opinion.

Maybe split it between favorite villain in western media and eastern media?

Western:

Cereci Lannister

Darkseid

Darth Vader

Doctor Doom

Hannibal Lecter

The Joker

Thanos

Probably a few more to make it at the same level as Eastern. Maybe some horror movie villains like Jason and Freddy?

Eastern:

Bowser

Dio Brando

Frieza

Ganondorf

Griffith

Jonan Liebert

Madara Uchiha

Marshall D. Teach

Sephiroth

Sōsuke Aizen

Never said he's the hero. I don't know where you got that from.

Again, this guy and this guy . And by that logic every vigilante hero would be a villain. It's not as black and white as you're making it out to be. What he is trying to achieve, in principle, is a good thing. He is just on the wrong side of the law.

Walter White is not a valid comparison. The guy was selfish as heck for his family and his goal wasn't the well-being of everyone.

A vigilante who intends to be a god to people and kills people who aren't criminals without hesitation just for opposing him would very much be a villain

And yes it doesn't have to be black and white, which is the reason why a villain can have noble intentions but still be a villain because of how he achieves it.

@Ant How is it a controversial topic exactly? We are only discussing literary terms and fictional characters here

@The Smashor

I don't mind keeping all or most of the options in the current version of the poll.

Again, the examples I already provided. And those actions are the only reason he is an anti-hero. Like so many other characters who do bad things but aren't villains.

Agree to disagree? Or if you want to continue, we can take it up on the message wall.

Andytrenom said:
@Ant How is it a controversial topic exactly? We are only discussing literary terms and fictional characters here
Perception of morality is a form of ideology, which is just as controversial as (and a part of) politics to many people. I just don't want any conflicts between the staff within this wiki. However, if the two of you only perceive it as an objective intellectual exercise, it should probably be fine.

I am not talking about "what is evil?" or questions like that. I'm explaining why Light can be considered a villain based off what usually qualifies characters as one

I mean I feel like actions and actual effects are often more important than intentions. Under that sort of metric you could classify him as such. Could just omit him if you feel like it makes things easier tho

I don't think we should shift this thread to an unnecessary philosophical debate about good and evil.

Just pic villains who are just evil antagonists and leave more complicated choices aside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back