• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

New Power: Double Jump

Jinsye

She/Her
We got Spin Dash so I figured there should be room for this other iconic ability.

For those who have been living under a rock don't know. Double jumping is the ability to jump an extra time while in mid-air. This can grant you extra mobility and the ability to reach greater heights than usual.

This ability is rather popular in fiction and I don't say why it wouldn't deserve a page

Agree so long as it isn't flat out game mechanics. Example, Doomguy would have Double Jump for having a canonical reason to have it. Random characters who can touble tap X shouldn't.

That seems dumbly specific compared to just double jump

I guess we should change metal manip to limited earth manipulation

Rei Rubro said:
This is limited pseudo-flight.
Flight is continuous.

Which is subjective as most can't fly forever. Flight is just move through the air.

@Bambu Yes, sure, but if you look for the definition of the word you don't see anything putting a timeframe, just being able to move through the air. That's flight.

Its an interesting power, and yes, not quite related to Flight (if any, more related to Gravity Defiance).

Eficiente said:
@Bambu Yes, sure, but if you look for the definition of the word you don't see anything putting a timeframe, just being able to move through the air. That's flight.
Common sense solves this problem incredibly easily.

I think it should be included under Acrobatics if that ever becomes an ability, things like being able to do 360┬░ backflips and parkour serve a great purpose in a battle and it's not something everyone can do.

^

Acrobatics absolutely needs to be an ability, same as other similar real world abilities.

I'm cool with keeping Double Jump as a separate ability- it makes sense. It can't be disregarded as "well mostly game mechanics" because not many profiles having it doesn't actually negate its existence.

Spin Dash is more of a technic than a power, is not much different than Unarmed Combat or Swordmanship, but I'm mostly neutral about it.

Perhaps a new power for Air Movement that do not involve Flight (although perhaps is kinda irrelevant? Depends of the users).

I even gave an example in this thread of a character with canonical explanations for Double Jump. Doomguy has it.

Destiny Hunters would.

I guess these characters has Double Jump that do not relie on game mechanics; I don't have a issue with that of course, but I think it was the main disagree in the thread. I also would call it Mid-Air Jump, since few characters can jump more than one time in the air.

It's outright explained in DOOM and Destiny.

Genji: Thanks to his cybernetic abilities, Genji can climb walls and perform jumps in mid-air.

Hanzo: Hanzo can double jump, allowing him to change direction mid-jump.

Matthew Schroeder said:
I think this is far too specific and not really needed, besides it is game mechanics 99% of the time.

Side note, I don't think Spin Dash should be an ability either.
I agree with Matthew. This seems too specific.

That said, characters such as Sanji can run on air. Perhaps we could rename the ability based on that instead?

Back