• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Non-Physical Interaction Types Additions (Staff Only)

Elizhaa

VS Battles
Administrator
Here the current definition:

The power to interact with intangible or non-corporeal beings. Users can both see and interact with intangible, or non-corporeal, abstract, and nonexistent life-forms and entities, allowing them to make physical contact and possibly cause harm.

The current definition is too broad and I made the page initially because I thought only a few characters in fiction had it. Now, over 1,190 characters are Non-Physical Interaction Users with widely different feats where the current definition doesn't the feats justice. To remedy the situation, I have Types Proposal and here they are.

Types

Honestly, while I would like help with revisions or additions, there no need for massive changes as it can be graduals if it too much for everyone. In this situation, I can handle most of the change

Should add more. Abstract interaction would be good.

Another one might be Conceptual Interaction, too. I believe that does come up in some places.

Anyhow, gonna go to sleep, I wholeheartedly agree we need types.

I feel like we need a better way of differentiating intangibility and Non corporeality. To answer Bambu, that's just concept manip.

Otherwise, I like this idea.

There are beings who are both non corporeal and intangible, for example, Gengar, who is both, a ghost and gas.

Well, stuff like fire is intangible. I wouldn't equalize a guy who can manipulate fire as immedately being able to hit ghosts. The distinction is ok, I just think it should be better defined.

Wouldn't non-corporeality itself be too broad to be defined by a single type?

Same with intangibility.

Though we could just say for example:

(Type 1, X kind of intangibility or non-corporeality)

You should probably ask the other bureaucrats and administrators to comment here.

I'm fine with NPI being split into types, but I agree with SD and Andy that there are different types of those different types, which could make it confusing.

Although we could need types of NPI (that acronym do not sounds good btw), the OP sepate its by its effect rather than its cause; a suggestion would be: Intangibility Negation (although not quite NPI but it has the same effect, some OP characters tends to use it), Damage Energy, Spirit/Soul Interaction, Nothingness Interaction and Meta Interaction.

Just in spanish, it represent a bad word, although is not used to insult. You can ignore that, it just remind me that common phrase.

A6colute,

Elemental Intangibility: required activation to intangible.

Immaterial: It is a state of being. A character is made of an intangible substance like energy or an otherworldly substance like a ghost. Frankly, speaking, this Type always felt like being Non-Corporeal.

Well, passive or active type of ability doesn't change the nature of intangibility. There are a lot of examples when living creatures use a ghost form for traveling through material objects.

So, I don't think that we need two types for that.

A6colute said:
Well, passive or active type of ability doesn't change the nature of intangibility. There are a lot of examples when living creatures use a ghost form for traveling through material objects.
So, I don't think that we need two types for that.
Nevermind, it is Intangibility. Based on Non-Corporeal's definition the difference is:

• Being non-corporeal is very different than Intangibility, as an intangible being's body is their true body, it just can't be affected by conventional physical forces. A non-corporeal being does not usually have any kind of concrete, defined form, and can appear in many different forms if they wish, though the destruction of these bodies is of little relevance to the entity behind them.

I have mixed feelings about this.

On one hand, having different types is good for organization purposes.

On the other one, I think that "interacting with stuff that can't be touched normally" encompasses way too much stuff and should be left as something explained on the profiles

It should be both.

Yeah, there's several types of intangibility, for example I can write: elemental intangibility (to not write all the elements nor types of energy), aether/nether (although this can be mixed with spiritual), spiritual, nothingness and transcendence. Mmm, there weren't that much types as I initially though.

I think trying to classify every type of intangibility / non-corporeal existence would be far too complicated and ultimately pointless as it varies from verse to verse. Conversely, trying to classify every way of interacting with each of those non-corporeal types would be an even grater exercise in futility.

I think it would be better to have Types anyway because in debate or in CRT; the feats can have explanations that hopefully gets added to profiles.

I agree, i don't think this is necessary, there are way too many types to try to classify, it should just be explained on the pages.

The last one, rather than just create pre-determinated types is better to just explain how the NPI works, it saves us works, and is better debating wise.

Ryukama said:
I think we should cite examples of these things without confining them into specific types.
This seems like a good idea.

Lightbuster30 said:
Would certain types allow crossovers with each other? Like abstract and NE?
Yes, @Lightbuster30, it is the point. This point is exactly like for Immortality Types where if they have the requirements, then characters gains the Types.

Back