• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

One Piece Chapter 1005: "Devil Child" (Official Release)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Robin being badass as hell this chapter, she rarely participates in an actual fight, so having her get a win against a Tobi Roppo would be great

As for Sanji, yeah him being a sexist and refusing to do anything against a woman is something I hate about him, I’d take Zoro as a character over him every day

Robin being badass as hell this chapter, she rarely participates in an actual fight, so having her get a win against a Tobi Roppo would be great
I know, that's awesome to see.
As for Sanji, yeah him being a sexist and refusing to do anything against a woman is something I hate about him, I’d take Zoro as a character over him every day
Yeah, I said if there were a game like Smash Bros with One Piece females, Sanji would be the sandbag lol

It isn't sexist to refuse to beat up women in the real world. They really are much biologically physically weaker here, so it is just about not being an asshole. But Sanji lives in a fantasy world, so there it comes across as idiotic and insane against strong female enemies.

I loved to see Robin finally doing something.

Also I can agree that Sanji's moral code is extreme, but his tenacity in keeping faith in it is something I like of him as a character.
I think it will be a major point of his personality sooner or later, when he will be forced to break his code to save something (or most likely someone) more important

It isn't sexist to refuse to beat up women in the real world. They really are much biologically physically weaker here, so it is just about not being an asshole. But Sanji lives in a fantasy world, so there it comes across as idiotic and insane against strong female enemies.
Yeah that’s the thing, he’s sexist because he refuses to fight a beautiful women and it’s as shallow as that, as long as the girl is beautiful, he won’t fight her and be at their whim, even if a situation like this, he needs to learn true gender equality and fight women when they trying to kill him

He’s extremely shallow, which is such a shame, because I like his personality whenever it doesn’t concern a woman

He isn't sexist. He doesn't remotely consider women as inferior creatures who are only fit to be domesticated servants. However, he takes his code of chivalry to insane illogical extremes.

Yes, he never hurts ugly women either. He was taught that by the cook who raised him.

He isn't sexist. He doesn't remotely consider women as inferior creatures that are only fit as being domesticated servants. However, he takes his code of chivalry to insane illogical extremes.
Oh I never said that he thinks they are inferior, but he is still sexist because he blatantly thinks they are superior to men

I don’t like how becomes useless the second a woman is involved

Neither do I, but sexist implies that he is a bad person, and he is definitely not. He is genuinely well-intended and heroic. He is just a complete idiot in this area. There is a major difference.

Has Sanji ever hurt a non-beautiful woman? As far as I remember his code encompasses all women.
Didnt he attack Mama? Like I dont think he hurt hurt but iirc he kicked her.

Apparently Oda said he didnt kick her but just defended his sister.

Oda said that Sanji countered Big Bitches attack with his own since Big Mom is a woman of another caliber or something and have to counter her attack with your own (or something like that).

I mean it depends on how its handled, if he just randomly drops it and fuccin punts a bitch then I would definitely dislike that.

But if its clearly shown his inner conflict and him deciding that protecting his “family” is more important id accept that.

Last edited:
Regarding it Sanji chivalry it just ODA being stupid with it honestly
there were better ways of handling without making sanji look like idiotic fool in life or death situtations

So yeah, it does seem Sanji is suggesting his Haki defense would hurt Maria if she hit him hard enough. Though that doesn't exactly make much sense given that she's wearing Brass Knuckles. The only way she'd injure herself is through poor technique and thus damaging her fingers, smh. Still waiting on an official translation since the phrasing is a little weird.

Robin should likely be given "Pseudo Teleportation" on her profile since she just confirmed that she can "bloom her body" anywhere. She basically makes a clone and then makes her "original" body disappear. It's similar to Moriah's ability to swap places with his Shadow. Her power just keeps getting more insane the more we understand it (doesn't exactly nullify her weakness though, unless we find out she no longer takes damage if one of her spawned limbs are struck).

Still wondering where Queen went. Last we saw, he was being grappled by Marco--which was chapter 1000. Yamato vs Queen, thanks.

Jack's definitely being selfish, given that we see him thinking of Raizo/Inu/Neko while saying Maria can't handle them. He's clearly holding a grudge and wont let anyone else make a move on them.

Hoping Maria puts her top back on before she starts fighting. Awkward.

I think the problem with the current scenario is not so much Sanji's refusal to fight women as it is the fact that he'd take so long and get injured badly before calling for help. It is uncharacteristically stupid of him because he generally comes through in clutch situations

Oops, even this translation confirmed that Sanji was going soft even at protecting himself with haki or he would have hurt Maria's fists.
So.. when a Sanji's upgrade? :)

Oops, even this translation confirmed that Sanji was going soft even at protecting himself with haki or he would have hurt Maria's fists.
So.. when a Sanji's upgrade? :)
Why would he get upgraded due to that? The damage could be very minimal to Maria's fist (since Sanji doesn't want to hurt women at all), and hurting someone who's 550 Megatons when he's around the 377 megaton range is something he's already capable off.

Not saying he won't get upgraded in wano, but using this as a reason for an upgrade honestly comes off as kinda desperate.

Why would he get upgraded due to that? The damage could be very minimal to Maria's fist (since Sanji doesn't want to hurt women at all), and hurting someone who's 550 Megatons when he's around the 377 megaton range is something he's already capable off.

Not saying he won't get upgraded in wano, but using this as a reason for an upgrade honestly comes off as kinda desperate.
But he would damage her by just defending himself with haki, not by parrying and not by using his strongest blows against her, that's the difference.
Sanji's way stronger than BM, the same way he was way stronger than Kalifa.
So he definitely needs an upgrade, he scales to Black Maria partially by withstanding blows without using armament haki, then scales even higher with armament haki covering his body (would have hurt her fists), then scales even higher if he had parried her blows, then scales even higher with you know attacking, then scales even higher with diable jambe.

But he would damage her by just defending himself with haki, not by parrying and not by using his strongest blows against her, that's the difference.
Sanji's way stronger than BM, the same way he was way stronger than Kalifa.
So he definitely needs an upgrade, he scales to Black Maria partially by withstanding blows without using armament haki, then scales even higher with armament haki covering his body (would have hurt her fists), then scales even higher if he had parried her blows, then scales even higher with you know attacking, then scales even higher with diable jambe.
All this would mean is Sanji's durability with armament haki is greater than Maria's AP? Since the damage being done to her would only come from the the force of her own punch. This wouldn't scale to his AP at all. I guess his durability without haki would parially scale to maria's fist similar to base Luffy in wholecake against katakuri.

She scales above P1.
Since P1 was called a brat and Sasaki said that he can't even aim to become a calamity, implying that Pay pay is the weakest among Flying six.
I don't think that would be a stronger basis for scaling than just scaling Black Maria to somebody she actually fought.

Pretty bad and extremely sexist chapter overall. The only saving grace was Black Maria's characterization as a "bad girl" as @CinCameron20 puts it.

Sanji doesn't get any boosts. In fact he get's a new weakness on his profile that his haki gets "soft/weak" against women so on top of not attacking his defense buff goes down to.

Sanji said he’s holding back soften his coa, which means if he’s serious against non female his coa Is capable of hurting flying six just used as defense. Look at jinbei he’s defending with coa this chapter but he’s the one who’s bruised and beat up. Black Maria is using steel knuckles too. So which means if he went serious with his coa her steel knuckle would break and then her hands would be damaged as well.

For gods' sakes, it is not sexist for men to not want to brutally beat up women in the real world. It would be extreme bullying to place the strongest male unarmed fighters in the world against the strongest female ones.

However, we have turned so used to fantasy settings that ignore the real world circumstances in order to make women feel more empowered, that some people somehow get upset whenever a fictional character shows some signs of stoic chivalry. (Would they rather have stories about protagonists that are roughly morally equivalent to wife-beaters?)

That said, this IS a fantasy setting where the strongest women are just a tiny bit less powerful than the strongest men, so again, within that artificial system Sanji is behaving like an idiot, especially as it is a war situation.

“People somehow get upset whenever a fictional character shows some signs of stoic chivalry”

Well Sanji being chivalrous is not true in my book, he’s a bad pervert, I mean the dudes wish was to become invisible so he peep on girls while they couldn’t see him, if he wasn’t such a pervert, I may not be bothered by his code

Would they rather have stories about protagonists that are roughly morally equivalent to wife-beaters?
I feel like you are conflating things here. Wife beating for example is made worse by the fact that men typically have a lot of power over their wives. To take a less problematic example, think beating up a subordinate at work - it is much worse than beating up any random schmuck because of the power dynamics at play

way to Strawman sexism @Antvasima
I do not understand what you are trying to say here. Please elaborate.

In any case, for the record, I do not engage in insincere rhetorical tactics. I genuinely believe that it is bullying for real world men to beat up far weaker women.
Well Sanji being chivalrous is not true in my book, he’s a bad pervert, I mean the dudes wish was to become invisible so he peep on girls while they couldn’t see him, if he wasn’t such a pervert, I may not be bothered by his code
That is a good point. However, as explained in the flashback story regarding his upbringing, he is genuinely chivalrous. He is just lecherous on top of that.
Chapter is not sexist. It is just staying true to Sanji's character
True enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back