• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Orcas vs Megalodon

Rules:

2 Orca's (Willing to change to make things fairer)
1 Megalodon
100 meters apart

Other than that SBA
Killerwhales_jumping.jpg

megalodon_warpaint_shutterstock-full-width.jpg.thumb.1160.1160.jpg

Meg: 4 (@Cryo123, @Phoenks, @StekFence, @JustANormalLemon)

Orca: 1 (@King)

Incon: 0

Last edited:
Alright, about time I commented something.

Clearly, the Megalodon has an advantage in size, bite force, and strength.

The orcas have the advantage of numbers and intelligence. Orca's have specific strategies which they employ when killing Sharks to make it easier than it already would be for one alone.

They not only target a Shark's fine to decrease its mobility but work together to flip a shark over (Typically by repeatedly ramming into its sides). They do so because sharks become paralyzed when upside down, and if they remain that way can die from tonic immobility.

I figure a Megalodon's strength would make this fairly hard to pull of, but I think it's possible with the Orca's numbers to exploit a weakness such as the two listed.

Going for the 2 Orcas. Intelligence and strategy hunting will triumph over the big but slow Megalodon. Modern day hunters are underrated.

My vote is the Megalodon.

See, type A killer whales in the artic can grow up to 9.2 meters, while the Megalodon can reach 18 meters. The Orca whales that usually target sharks are usually type C Orcas, which are only 5.2 meters long.

Regardless, here's the thing, size matters, a lot, in the natural world. There's a reason that Orcas in full packs target Humpback whale babies as opposed to the adults, they are too big and heavy to take down, and the average humpback whale is only 16 meters by comparision. Orcas could win, if they had a pack of five, and do what River Otters do against Caimans in wearing them out little by little, but it's more likely that the two Orcas would flee or lose.

Edit: On the otherhand, even if the Megalodon won, it woud probably still die from injuries making hunting near impossible.

The pods can admittedly get pretty large. I heard a case of a large pod taking out a Blue Whale, which is pretty impressive given they're marginally over 20 meters long.

However, how agile is a Megalodon? From what I recall, Orcas usually leave Humpback whales alone because they form a circle (with other Humpbacks) and thrash their tails to scare them away.

If Megalodon's a big slow target, wouldn't they be able to, for example, rip off the Shark's fins like they do with Sharks? If they're able to remove its fins, I would think it's over for the Megalodon despite its large size.

There's also the Orcas method of triggering tonic immobility. Could the Megalodon prevent itself from getting flipped over if the Orcas were working together to flip it over?

Well the Megalodon constantly has to swim to keep pumping ater through its gills, so that tail will still be a major threat to it, and they only go near lone fullgrown humpbacks to distract them to kill their offspring.

As shark's skeletons are made of cartilage, they would be more flexible, so they should still be capable of thrasing around

Orcas are faster, smarter and no the weakness of sharks. Size doesn't matter here cause orcas kill sperm and blue whales.

It continuously moving would prove dangerous (Pretty funny since needing to move in order to 'breath' seems super impractical, lol). Is it possible for the two Orca's to push the Megalodon?

I know that seems like a silly question, but three Orcas were strong enough to push a Blue whale under the water whilst others attacked its head.

Blue Whales possess Class K Lifting Strength, and three were able to overwhelm that Class K strength. While this is 2 Orcas, they're up against a Megalodon, which is generally smaller and less heavy. Meaning it should be possible for Orcas who are faster than Megalodons were estimated to be. They're really good at communication too (they can communicate from really far at that), so it certainly seems like a tactic they'd try against a 'larger version' of Sharks which is something they already effortlessly hunt with the techniques described.

Well a Blue Whale weighs 290,000 to 330,000 lbs, and the Meg could weigh between 66,000 to 143,000 lbs.

The only blue whale attack I saw showed no evidence of them flipping the creature over, and while they do kill Blue Whales, the whale has to hope it flails around enough, while Megalodons could use their jaws, which is a 1 shot.

Edit: I find each Whale moving 96,666.66 lbs when they only weigh like 6,600 pounds themselves (A difference of at least 14 times, and at most 16 times heavier than the whale.)

Well a Blue Whale weighs 290,000 to 330,000 lbs, and the Meg could weigh between 66,000 to 143,000 lbs.

The only blue whale attack I saw showed no evidence of them flipping the creature over, and while they do kill Blue Whales, the whale has to hope it flails around enough, while Megalodons could use their jaws, which is a 1 shot.

Edit: I find each Whale moving 96,666.66 lbs when they only weigh like 6,600 pounds themselves (A difference of at least 14 times, and at most 16 times heavier than the whale.)
They didn't flip it over, but in the link, it's clarified that three Orcas were able to force/push the Blue Whale underwater by force. I imagine two lining up and ramming into the side of the shark would be able to flip it off balance, causing tonic immobility.

They didn't flip it over, but in the link, it's clarified that three Orcas were able to force/push the Blue Whale underwater by force. I imagine two lining up and ramming into the side of the shark would be able to flip it off balance, causing tonic immobility.
Yeah, but they would have to angle themselves well, and somehow avoid getting killed in the procces. Also, was that Blue Whale full grown? It didn't look like it in the video I saw.

The average Orca pod is between 5-30 whales, so even if we assumed only 5 were needed to kill 1 Blue whale (A massive highball), proportioning out the max size of each the Megalodon and Blue Whale, it would take just about 2 whales to fight a Megalodon, but that's forgeting that the Megalodon doesn't just have size but a bite as well, could swim on average about 11 mph, (5.2 times faster than the average blue whale), more flexible.

If we wanted to do a scaling chain, Megalodon (Hunted large whales)>Blue Whale > or = to 5 Orcas >>>>>>> 1 Orcas.
Obviously, the Megalodon was built for this, so there's room to argue that this would mean much, but this is just to visualize what I'm trying to get at.

Megalodon one-shots one of the orcas, but gets severely harmed by the other. To the point that it becomes difficult to fight, though I see the meglodon prevailing more times than not. Speed and intelligence are nice but one bite from a megalodon seals the deal.

Not to mention, the bite force of Orca's is criminally overrated. 19000 PSI is a severe overestimation that has never been officially confirmed. It's real bite force is likely around 3000 PSI or even less. It would barely do anything to Megalodon's thick skin if it didn't attack the gills. And the tactics they use against great whites aren't going to work at all in this situation. Megalodon is too big and dangerous for the orca. The size is a massive advantage in this fight.

Along with this, Megalodon is more stealthy and likely to play with sneak attacks. It isn't as stupid of an animal as most assume it is.

Voting Megalodon.

Yeah, but they would have to angle themselves well, and somehow avoid getting killed in the procces. Also, was that Blue Whale full grown? It didn't look like it in the video I saw.
There were two incidents. In the video linked in the link I gave, it was stated to be a 75-foot whale.

If a lot of people think this is one-sided, If I'm able to I could change the number of Orcas until the match is considered fair.

There were two incidents. In the video linked in the link I gave, it was stated to be a 75-foot whale.

If a lot of people think this is one-sided, If I'm able to I could change the number of Orcas until the match is considered fair.
It's not super one-sided. 3 orcas would probably be 50/50, and 4-5 would kill megalodon with mid difficulty in most cases.

I will go with megalodon here, not only I don't see 2 orcas alone being able to use It1s strategies against It just by them self consistently, tha is bassicaly a smaller blue whale that never stops moving and her a better ability to turn around, not to mention It don't need to get out of the water to breath

It's not super one-sided. 3 orcas would probably be 50/50, and 4-5 would kill megalodon with mid difficulty in most cases.
3 Orcas seems like a 50/50? Should I make it a 3v1 in that case (Assuming that's possible)? I think having a close match would be most interesting.

Well I think with 3 the Orca's would win and it wouldn't be fair for the Meg, they would just bait out its bite while the other two went for the fins.

Back