• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
I've brought this up on the One Piece discussion thread but shouldn't Ace get Explosion manipulation via Hotarubi? He show cased this ability against Teach in thier fight.
X10

Looks just like an application of Fire Manipulation to me. I don't think explosion manipulation is appropriate.

Meh, I don't think the first example actually looks like an explosion.

It looks like Blackbeard is just being engulfed by fire that Ace is creating through the Firefly attack.

Move inward? They don't move inward, they explode from a distance away from Blackbeard and explode on him. And the anime scene doesn't further your point since it's non Canon, we go with the Manga not the anime. Plus Ace's fire has been shown to cause explosions with other attacks as well.

Notice in the first panel that Blackbeard notices the Firefly bullets and they're stationary? Well, in the next panel we see Ace commanding them to move and on the centre panel we see them hitting Blackbeard and some of them are still moving in towards him. There is no explosion. It's just all fire.

Anime filler is non-canon certainly, but the fact that the anime depiction of the manga scene doesn't show an explosion is a point towards my interpretation I think.

If Ace's abilities has caused other explosions then I'd like to see those.

Cleary not the, Ace isn't commanding them to move towards Blackbeard we blatantly see him causing them to explode in front of Blackbeard instead of moving them towards him to set him on fire. If you want to look at a better scan you can look at mine in the OP which shows everything much better and in color. We see an explosion happening, not just set him on fire as you think. It's an explosion, not just fire. The explosion is what catches him on fire not the attack itself.

Again that's a non factor. The anime shouldn't be used in any case given how much different things happen in the anime as compared to the Manga. Literally in the fight Ace absorbs fire that's around him which didn't happen in the Manga.

I'll gather the other scans but someone posted one already here.

> Cleary not the, Ace isn't commanding them to move towards Blackbeard we blatantly see him causing them to explode in front of Blackbeard instead of moving them towards him to set him on fire.

Okay, come on. The things are stationary in the first panel and then they're moving in the next two panels.

How could Ace not be commanding them to move?

What you're seeing as an explosion, I can only see as a mass of fire. And that's what the anime clearly went with as well.

I'm not saying the anime is something that must always be used or consulted. That'd be silly. I'm saying it can be supporting evidence towards interpretations of something when it may be unclear in the original artwork.

> Okay, come on. The things are stationary in the first panel and then they're moving in the next two panels.

Again that's clearly not the case. What's happening is that the fire Flys explode, igniting him on fire from a Distance. Saying that he's simply being lit on fire is quite frankly dishonest whenever the clear thing that's happening here is Ace causing the fire to explode right in front of Teach. And again, this isn't the first time his fire has done this, his Holy Cross also created an explosion upon hitting Banana Rock and his Dai Enkai Entei also caused an explosion when clashing with Teach's darkness.

And once more, we can't pick and choose like that. Either nothing from the anime is alright to use or everything is alright to use. Otherwise I could just as easily use the anime to upgrade the verse with Fujitora's meteorites since they happen like they happen in the Manga.

> And once more, we can't pick and choose like that. Either nothing from the anime is alright to use or everything is alright to use.

Once again you manage to misunderstand me.

I'm not saying we only go by the anime, I'm saying that in cases where it is unclear what is happening in the manga we can look to the anime to see if it makes it any clearer what is happening so that one plausible interpretation can be considered to be more correct than another plausible interpretation.

I'm unconvinced by this but it looks like majority of people agree with you so feel free to add it in whenever a staff member shows up to confirm it.

I actually agree with damage as far as using anime goes. It is secondary canon, so when it adds that is great, when it contradicts, dismiss it.

That said the anime looks like an explosion as well, at least to me. I can kind of understand Damage's view in that there is no blowback but the fireflies are basically compressed fire which then expand. Ace calls it "Popping" which again speaks explosion to me.

Neither in the scans nor in the anime do I see the fireflies actually move and hit BB. they are compressed, then they are not.

So bottom line I vote explosion, but hope whoeever makes the edit makes it clear exactly what it is/is not.

@Dr. Fix; you see the green Fireflys in the middle panel in the page posted in the OP? See how they have a contrail behind them? As in they're thicker at one end with a tapering tail behind them? That indicates movement to me. They're moving towards Blackbeard which is why they have the long, thinning trail behind them.

As for the OP's suggestion I'm neutral. After seeing Damage's point I'm not sure myself.

And I agree with Damage about the use of the anime. If it's supported by the manga, using it shouldn't be much of a problem.

@damage I hadn't noticed that before. if it were black and white it be less visible but as the tails are the first green colour I'm inclined to agree with you know.

So you agree that it is just Fire Manipulation for Ace in that page?

Yea, but I may add light manipulation as a practical application of this ability. Possibly also homing attack & compression if that is a thing.

Back