• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Powers and abilities need more context

Sometimes reading the powers and abilities of a character it's hard to determine what they really do. All Undertale characters seem to have Soul manipulation because the gameplay combat is about the Soul but it's nothing like Bleach Soul manipulation, or random abilities in other universes with Soul manipulation.

That's just an example.

There are some entries where there is "Lightning manipulation" even though the character with the ability has only ever shot a bolt of lightning once. It's saying a lot to put "Lightning manipulation" there when they simply have the capability to make an attack with Lightning (or lightning element). The definition of "manipulation" is usually a lot more deep than that and it's often used very shallow on this website. I'm not saying we need to go make tiers of manipulation, I actually think that would be useless. Just adding more context would be the best thing.

Sometimes there's links leading to feats but often for powers and abilities there is not. Very often. I have found myself on multiple ocassions attempting to source or understand a character's ability to do a thing (even a few times going audibly "HOW?") just so I can understand how it actually affects a match up. Not all speed boosts are born the same. Not all "manipulations" are the same.

Frankly, and I understand the level of work that would need to be done here when I'm about to say this but, every feat should have context. Character can lift X weight? Where? Show me the money. If you're power scaling to another character then cite the other character's feat.

COMPLETE SIDENOTE: Combat speed, reaction speed, and travel speed are different things like striking and lifting strength are and should be distinguished as such.

I prefer to specify what move it comes from (in unertale I would do "Soul Manip via Soul Magic") and then further explain it in notable attacks section.

That's a form of context and we don't often have that.

The notable attacks section isn't used as much, especially in some series that aren't as popular.

Some series don't even have "moves" or "attacks." Like RWBY.

Well, yeah. I either give that or explain it in the powers section.

Agree that it should be expected to be done tough.

Kind of agree. Some abilities may even not make sense at first glance, but once you ask around where that came from and you are given a proper explanation it makes sense. So that little extra step to have all in the page sounds reasonable, at least with the less obvious abilities and stats.

Back