• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Proposing optional separated pages in profiles for Marvel Comics

Eficiente

He/Him
VS Battles
Thread Moderator
Starting with Marvel something I wanted to propose in the whole wiki for our lesser profiles w/ hundreds upon hundreds of abilities & feats (like Rick Sanchez).

Ever saw a page in other wikis where a section in "X" page isn't there at all and instead links to its own sub-page called "X/[said section]" because it's too big or because it can be something that may need constant updates? Well, I believe some of our profiles would benefit from it. While we already have blogs covering all kinds of things they come w/ the issues of only 1 person making them, staying updated as long as said user stays on the wiki or not get updated at all, and most of the time other people doesn't make efforts to update its info. A separated page would last forever, can be edited by anyone and aimed to be updated by anyone.

This is just an example of it, and it can come extremely more in handy when listing what any genius can do with prep in the verse. I only believe that Feats and Notable Attacks/Techniques (to list powers) are the only things worth a sub-page. The standards for this sub-pages would be as simple as to write the comic from which what's being talked about comes from at the end and to usually write things in order of release date, if a specific sub-topic isn't being expanded.

Last edited:
You know what, I fully agree, although it may take long, I think its worth it. That way VS matchups on here will be easier for a lot of people since we have a reason to dump a whole respect thread worth of abilities into a separate profile

I can start working on some for characters like Doctor Strange, Mewtwo, superman and any green lantern

Yes, but those should stay in blogs/sandboxs for a while. Maybe Strange will have one relatively soon.

I was thinking in linking all sub-titles like normal and then a text saying "See here: [link]" where the stuff should be, instead of linking the other pages at the beginning of the profiles. But anything works.

We can start with pages for magic users, cosmic characters and geniuses can come up with new powers on a whim, and later or at times for other characters if people feel like contributing to list the numerous things they can do. I put the Human Torch as an example but only because he got more powers out of anyone in early FF comics I'm reading and his stuff would be a bit annoying add in his profile.

I honestly don't see the problem with adding those powers into the page
Like what's the difference between having all this powers on the page or a blog

I may be misunderstanding what's being proposed, but I don't see why you can't just stick a collapsible on the page with that same information.

Because it becomes too long, making it a pain for people to navigate in the whole page and very unrealistic for anyone to want to update it unless they have a number of things to modify or something notable to do, it just demotivates keep as good as it can be. The proposal is the same as blogs but better.

I don't how a a really long blog linked on the page instead doesn't demoralise either tbh
You're just switching where it's

When was the last time you saw a random user making efforts to update the info in a blog? They don't, it can happen but it doesn't happen. A blog belongs to the user who makes it, which is limited.

Also how many times have you listened about blogs being outdated and nobody actively supporting a verse and others who like said verse being able to do anything about it because "x user was going to do something about it, some day". Again, it's limited, if anyone could contribute things at any time then maybe in the meanwhile certain sentences of relevant info can be already added without everyone waiting.

I believe this is in part a matter of having vision on what's best for the wiki, it's no coincidence that other wikis don't send into blogs when still talking about things that come from the words of their own users.

It being collapsible would avert the length issue though, as those are closed by default. You'd just have a box that's like "open for feats" or something. I feel like that would be preferrable to a separate page for control+f reasons, like if you see a power in P&A and want to see what backs it up, but a subpage is better than nothing.

Well, collapsibles don't solve it when it comes to the time it takes to load the pages and when editting them & navigating through their massive content.

I apologize for being late to the party, as it were. That said, I definitely do agree. We need a way for people to be able to easily find out what a character can do without asking a crap-ton of questions in threads. It will give people better judgement calls and more familiarity.

This will take a while but like anything else here, it can be just be an ongoing thing that we complete over time and not every character is going to need this.

(Btw the same can be done with other large franchises such as DC for example, but that's the story for another day.)

This is a bit of continuation, but works on its own too.
I made the last edit there and finished structuring the sandboxs in the way I feel the pages should exist, so either a hand on that thead or to continue this thread while ignoring the other one would woud be helpful, we can at worst create pages like it while ignoring for now the new additions & fixs I pointed and only add what we got now on the profiles.

Well, I'm not a fan of counting that but most do and in good quality, so that's that.

I don't think anyone's opposed to the concept. I still think it would be better to put it on the page in a collapsible instead of on a separate page, but it seems everyone at least agrees that this sort of resource should exist in some form.

I am personally inclined to agree with Wokistan, and think that our current method of simply using internal tabber sub-sections for long lists of powers and abilities work well for the desktop viewing mode.

They do not work well at all for the mobile viewing mode though, but I have informed the Fandom staff about this problem, and they have said that they will look into if they can fix the error.

Anyway, the One Piece example technically looks pretty good, and we use the same system in the Tenchi Muyo wiki, but we already use tabbers to different pages in the wiki for characters with many different versions, so maintaining two such tabbers on top of each other would likely look awkward and confusing to our visitors.

Then there is the issue that we have to start our infobox-additions project relatively soon, in order to drastically increase our mobile viewing compatibility and Google search prioritisation, so that takes clear priority.

In conjunction with that, we will also have to limit the character quotes to one per regular profile page, so they will have to be moved to sub-pages of their own though.

In any case, the main problem is that this kind of project would be extremely time-consuming, with comparatively limited true payoff, and I personally do not have the time to patrol a much greater amount of daily edits in the wiki than I already do.

Well, as said before we could start with very few pages having this (Dr Doom, Mr Fantastic and Classic Dr Strange at least), and the ones created can stay locked so that only staff may update them. In terms of patrolling edits I believe we should be more strict on linking CRTs on summaries, making all the staff on threads actually look up the edits done when they happen and make regular users link them on the threads or have previously had everything worded in the way they're going to add things instead of their famous interpretations of what most people agreed on the threads.

Again, I do not think that it is at all realistic to start a trend in our page redesigns, that would gradually get increasing numbers of other editors joining in and making mistakes that continuously would have to be corrected. We simply do not have the time for this type of project right now, and there are also the other issues that I brought up. My apologies.

How about we just utilise blog respect threads more, like in the Notable Attacks/Techniques Section, link to a blog post with more feats on each ability. We already have that with some profiles but not enough.

Blogs can only be edited by the creator and administrators/sysops. They are fine for calculations, but for other situations, including long verse explanations, we should probably move their contents to regular explanation pages sooner or later.

Back