• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Question About Timelines

Right now, we do not consider two branching timelines to be separate low 2-C spaces because they shared a common past. This means merging them together cannot be 2-C. However, if a third timeline is present that is totally independent of the other two is merged with one of them after the initial timeline split, and is then merged with the remaining split timeline, would that be 2-C? The third timeline shares no common past with the other two, but is merged with a timeline that did share a common past with another timeline, so what takes precedence here?

Like this (shitty drawing but you get the idea):
image.png

(To be clear, I think it's 2-C since there's still the presence of an independent past, but I'm just looking for confirmation)

Right now, we do not consider two branching timelines to be separate low 2-C spaces because they shared a common past. This means merging them together cannot be 2-C. However, if a third timeline is present that is totally independent of the other two is merged with one of them after the initial timeline split, and is then merged with the remaining split timeline, would that be 2-C? The third timeline shares no common past with the other two, but is merged with a timeline that did share a common past with another timeline, so what takes precedence here?

Like this (shitty drawing but you get the idea):
image.png

(To be clear, I think it's 2-C since there's still the presence of an independent past, but I'm just looking for confirmation)
Your drawing sucks lol

Yes it is 2-C since they don't share the same past.

Should be 2-C yeah

But im not sure branching timeline isn't going to be 2-C or higher anymore. That is only if the branched timeline doesnt have a future that extends infinitely.

Sharing a common past doesnt completely disqualify them but works against it afaik. And as DonttalkTD clarified with Vietthai if a branch has a future that extends infinitely it will still be considered as low 2-C branch but if it is destroyed by causality as it still ties to the past it won't grant tier 2 for that causality domino effect.
So yes even without the 3rd timeline this could still be 2-C

Last edited:
IIRC the branching argument works against 2-C only if destroying the original template universe also subsequently nukes the other new universes branching from it. If it doesn't, it's 2-C, but @Planck69 and @Theglassman12 can elaborate on it.

Honestly tho, the issue depends on case-by-case basis, like most other Tier 2-related stuff.
Yeah exactly this. The same way destroying the beginning point of timeline to cause a paradox to erase the universe is only 3-A

IIRC the branching argument works against 2-C only if destroying the original template universe also subsequently nukes the other new universes branching from it. If it doesn't, it's 2-C, but @Planck69 and @Theglassman12 can elaborate on it.

Honestly tho, the issue depends on case-by-case basis, like most other Tier 2-related stuff.
Oh, that may help my case even more then, thanks. Though just to be clear, even if a split timeline didn't qualify, the scenario I showed in the OP is still 2-C, right?

Oh, that may help my case even more then, thanks. Though just to be clear, even if a split timeline didn't qualify, the scenario I showed in the OP is still 2-C, right?
As long as those alternate timelines don't rely on the existence of the original template timeline, yes, I don't see why this shouldn't be 2-C. Default assumption as per the prior CRT was to assume that the timelines are considered separate unless evidence is shown that they rely on each other to exist.

Back