• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Revision to the speed tiering(yes the speed tiering)

Status
Not open for further replies.
wait, what did I say? I just wanted to fix the FTL+ speed to higher, because it didn't make sense that a character massively FTL+ can't cross a galaxy in a short time (and in fact that it takes more than 100 years)It was not better to tell me what was wrong to fix it,like,what timeframe i am gonna get?lightspeed is the limit in our universe,obviosly i will get a timeframe based on that(traveling 7 times earth in a second is already FTL,so FTL+will logically be on a higher scale,a lot of times higher than FTL)
This is all just based on your personal preference, though, and you're gonna need a lot more than personal preference for a major site-wide revision like this

but who said said character can’t tho if it’s their travel speed?

I was referring to the difference between FTL+, massivelyFTL and massivelyFTL+, they are all only 10 times, when it should be noted that it should be a bigger gap, the latter literally cannot reach another galaxie quickly (in fact it takes thousends of years)

This is all just based on your personal preference, though, and you're gonna need a lot more than personal preference for a major site-wide revision like this

It's not even a personal preference, I'm literally saying that it doesn't make sense that the difference between FTL and other levels is only 10, when at the maximum you can't even cross the galaxy in a short time. It is not a personal preference, besides I am giving a logical timeframe, oh what timeframe do I give? if nothing can go faster than light in our world.

that you notice the difference between FTL+,massivelyFTL and massivelyFTL+,without the difference feeling like,too slow on a cosmic scale
"Too slow" is TOO SUBJECTIVE M8. Way too subjective to warrant a change of this scale.

You didn’t even give a case as to why we need these new speed tiers 🗿. Basing the new tiers off arbitrary values like traveling around the solar system or a galaxy instead of the literal physical constants like the speed of sound and speed of light we already use is kinda dumb

in what way?

It's not even a personal preference, I'm literally saying that it doesn't make sense that the difference between FTL and other levels is only 10, when at the maximum you can't even cross the galaxy in a short time. It is not a personal preference, besides I am giving a logical timeframe, oh what timeframe do I give? if nothing can go faster than light in our world.
"It doesn't make sense" Based on what?

Say it with me fellas: personal preference

(traveling 7 times earth in a second is already FTL,so FTL+will logically be on a higher scale,a lot of times higher than FTL)
No it's not. Traveling across the equator 7.5 times in one second is Light Speed, not FTL.

Obviously disagree with the CRT, though I had seen a suggestion for lightspeed ratings in a previous thread that tried to adjust the lightspeed to FTL names. Admittedly it was just a preference thing, but I believe they suggested Luminal speed instead of Lightspeed. They also suggested Superluminal for FTL which also just sounds way cooler than FTL and is a scientifically used term for faster than light speed.

"Too slow" is TOO SUBJECTIVE M8. Way too subjective to warrant a change of this scale.

In fact it's not, because if you think about it, it would take you years to travel from one galaxy to another, and in fiction it doesn't take years to do that.

The fact that solar systems and galaxies are not physical constants, but physical objects that vary wildly with size.

then use the average, if we accept the average that some planets in fiction must be the size of the earth, and that some solar systems are the size of ours, and some galaxies ours, and some universes the size of ours, Because it wouldn't be the same in this case, I'm also talking about distance, not about... you understand?

In fact it's not, because if you think about it, it would take you years to travel from one galaxy to another, and in fiction it doesn't take years to do that.
HOW THE ****. Does that influence a physical constant?

fiction does not have a set rule for how long it takes to travel galaxies, some characters do indeed take years to travel through it or the universe or whatever

then use the average, if we accept the average that some planets in fiction must be the size of the earth, and that some solar systems are the size of ours, and some galaxies ours, and some universes the size of ours, Because it wouldn't be the same in this case, I'm also talking about distance, not about... you understand?
There is nothing to understand here because everything you just said flies against the basics of how a physical constant works.

The very reason that solar systems and galaxies vary in size is why they are not constants. This is why picking stuff the size of our locale will never work for shit that involves the SI units.

No it's not. Traveling across the equator 7.5 times in one second is Light Speed, not FTL.

Obviously disagree with the CRT, though I had seen a suggestion for lightspeed ratings in a previous thread that tried to adjust the lightspeed to FTL names. Admittedly it was just a preference thing, but I believe they suggested Luminal speed instead of Lightspeed. They also suggested Superluminal for FTL which also just sounds way cooler than FTL and is a scientifically used term for faster than light speed.
I don't even talk about the names, the names stay, what must be changed is the difference between levels,10 times is not a good difference,considering that it will take you days to travel to the closest star system,and thousends of years to travel to the end of the galaxy.

Yeah I agree. I don't care for sweeping changes because of semantics. It doesn't matter what, for example, Sub-Relativistic could mean. We know what it means. Says it right there on the tin. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

fiction does not have a set rule for how long it takes to travel galaxies, some characters do indeed take years to travel through it or the universe or whatever

but in our world it would take longer, in fact everything would take longer because light is the limit

but in our world it would take longer, in fact everything would take longer because light is the limit
That doesn't mean jackshit for physical constants in like, any meaningful way. Duration of the journey doesn't mean anything for what makes up a physical constant.

yeah,thousends of light years,and still 1000 times faster than light takes years to travel that distance,and is supposed to be the maximum speed before going beyond infinite and beyond time
you do know what a "light year" is right?

it means the distance light travels in a year

so if it's thousands of light years, it means that thousands of years are needed for light to travel it

which means that even if it's a thousand times ftl, it'd need years to travel it

you're trying to fix something that has absolutely no issues

There is nothing to understand here because everything you just said flies against the basics of how a physical constant works.

The very reason that solar systems and galaxies vary in size is why they are not constants. This is why picking stuff the size of our locale will never work for shit that involves the SI units.

Bro, how was I supposed to know about that?my original idea was about the distances,not the size of a solar system or a galaxie

Bro, how was I supposed to know about that?my original idea was about the distances,not the size of a solar system or a galaxie
DISTANCES BETWEEN GALAXIES AND SOLAR SYSTEMS ARE NOT PHYSICAL CONSTANTS.

1. THEY ARE NOT UNIVERSAL.

2. THEY DO NOT HAVE A FIXED NUMERICAL VALUE, THEY VARY WILDLY BETWEEN SOLAR SYSTEM TO SOLAR SYSTEM AND GALAXY TO GALAXY. THEY ARE AVERAGED BASED ON WHAT WE HAVE WITHIN OUR LOCALE. THAT AUTOMATICALLY DISQUALIFIES THESE DISTANCES FROM EVER BECOMING A PHYSICAL CONSTANT.

If you studied a little bit more carefully in physics class we would not need to deal with this headache right now.

DISTANCES BETWEEN GALAXIES AND SOLAR SYSTEMS ARE NOT PHYSICAL CONSTANTS.

1. THEY ARE NOT UNIVERSAL.

2. THEY DO NOT HAVE A FIXED NUMERICAL VALUE, THEY VARY WILDLY BETWEEN SOLAR SYSTEM TO SOLAR SYSTEM AND GALAXY TO GALAXY. THEY ARE AVERAGED BASED ON WHAT WE HAVE WITHIN OUR LOCALE. THAT AUTOMATICALLY DISQUALIFIES THESE DISTANCES FROM EVER BECOMING A PHYSICAL CONSTANT.

If you studied a little bit more carefully in physics class we would not need to deal with this headache right now.
if you write me in big caps you are not helping me much to read, in fact you look like you want to kill me with a bat...

By the way, how the hell am I going to know that if my teacher didn't give it to me?i am not in university

if you write me in big caps you are not helping me much to read, in fact you look like you want to kill me with a bat...

By the way, how the hell am I going to know that if my teacher didn't give it to me?i am not in university
Ay mio dios

Your paragraph in OP is literally incomprehensible. I went all Caps not just out of frustration, but because it seems you can't seem to understand neatly thought out and concise paragraphs.

Also, physical constants are like, 8th grade school topics. Not university-level topics.

So how the hell am I going to fix this? Is it still wrong that the difference is 10 times, because for the last time, it takes hundreds of years to travel through the galaxy at maximum speed without going beyond that maximum speed.

So how the hell am I going to fix this? Is it still wrong that the difference is 10 times, because for the last time, it takes hundreds of years to travel through the galaxy at maximum speed without going beyond that maximum speed.
Why exactly are you making an issue out of a non-issue?

Ay mio dios

Your paragraph is literally incomprehensible.

Also, physical constants are like, 8th grade school topics. Not university-level topics.

and they say that I speak worse than I write, and believe me they didn't give it to me (quarantine I think it was the fault)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back