• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Saitama's tier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ugarik

VS Battles
Calculation Group
I'm okay with 5-B Saitama however I don't think we have a reasonable justification for his tier.

"Saitama stated that he could destroy the planet in the webcomic"

This statment was not supported by any databook (correct me if i'm wrong). His best feat so far was only 351.3 pettatons and it's litteraly called "Serious Punch" implying he wasn't holding back very much.

"Murata also stated that Saitama can blow up Earth if he wanted to"

ð£urata is not the author of the canon story so we can't justify Saitama's tier based on his statment

And even if those statments are true it doesn't mean Saitama can do this with one attack

After his fight with Boros, Boros said to Saitama that 'you had strength to spare' so he was holding back significantly.

Saying it's serious because it's called a serious punch is a name fallacy and it's like saying that the collapsing star roaring cannon is implied to be able to destroy a star.

For more evidence, he used a serious punch against Elder Centipede yet knocked down awakened Garou with a casual punch. You can't base Saitama's true power off of people and attacks that are literal fodder to him

Murata generally holds back on making statements without the consent of ONE. It's not like this is an outlier or is contradicted massively either; Saitama's full power is massively above both Boros and Garou

'Blowing up Earth' and 'destroy the planet' generally aren't statements that imply destruction over time.

"Boros said to Saitama that 'you had strength to spare' so he was holding back significantly"

There is 169183 times differesce between Saitama's best feat and planet level base line. I don't know if we can assume he was only using 0.0006% of his power because he was holding back significantly

"Murata generally holds back on making statements without the consent of ONE"

Is there any evidence for this and even if it's true can we assume ONE gave him consent for making that statment?

"It's not like this is an outlier or is contradicted massively either; Saitama's full power is massively above both Boros and Garou"

There's already 290 times difference between Boros' and Saitama's AP which is more than enough to stomp them affordlessly. I know Saitama was still holding back but it doesn't mean he was using only 0.0006% of his full power

You're basing a lot of this on Saitama 'not holding back that much' when in other series you have SSB Goku, who's hundreds of times above baseline universal, going toe to toe with Krillin, who's in the lower half of solar system level, all because he's holding back

I never claimed Saitama couldn't possibly hold back so much power. I said we can't assume Saitama is planet level just because we can't base his true power

I really like the idea of Saitama getting a "At least High 6-A, likely 5-B" Tier.

Regardless, I'll remain neutral here.

Given Murata's extremely heavy involvement in the series, the fact that he probably knows more about the series than anyone besides ONE himself, and that he will not answer any of these sorts of questions without consulting ONE if he doesn't know himself, he's considered reliable WoG.

Okay. Thank you for the evaluation. I think that we can close this then.

Here's another interesting thing. Murata and ONE complained about Tatsu grabbing the meteor from space in the anime because they thought it contradicted her scale of power and that she wasn't that broken. They made no complaints about Saitama and Boros being planetbusters though.

His only feat being that high doesn't mean to much and while it said "Serious Punch" that doesn't mean he was going all out, just that he put some effort into it but considering it didn't damage his hand. I think it wasn't that serious.

The guy statement about him being a Planet Buster is fine IMO, I doubt the creator would allow him to state Saitama can blow up the earth if he didn't want him to be that strong and what Ryukama said makes sense. Plus I'm pretty sure he could do it in one punch considering he casually deflected Boros's strongest move.

Wasn't he capable of beating himself in one punch later in the series or something like that?.

That happened in a VR simulation in the first audiobook. But the simulation likely couldn't replicate Saitama's normal power.

At least High 6-A, Possibly 5-B sounds far more reasonable for a character that is more consistently the former, and only has statements backing up the latter.

How so? He only has two statements. And both are questionable. The first one from Saitama himself doesn't imply he could do it in one hit.

And the second one had dubious applicability.

Meanwhile. Saitama has two High 6-A feats. And 0 5-B feats.

He's Possibly 5-B at the very best.

I'm not a fan of the whole, people saying Saitama is VASTLY!!!! more power. Yes, he is definitely more powerful but without any feats, it's impossible to say how far. Just saying he's Far, Far, Far above them isn't that good considering their are countless characters who are vastly stronger then others but we don't really bump their tier.

However I'm perfectly fine with Saitama being straight up 5-B. He's definitely much stronger then Boros by a significant amount and he stated himself that he could destroy the earth and was stated to be capable of busting the earth so him being solid 5-B isn't impossible.

A statement doesn't need to be backed up by a databook. If the character has no reason to lie about it and is shown to be unquantifiably stronger than surface destroying, it seems plausible.

Someone with heavy involvement in the series confirming this just supports it.

VersusJunkie54 said:
How so? He only has two statements. And both are questionable. The first one from Saitama himself doesn't imply he could do it in one hit.
And the second one had dubious applicability.

Meanwhile. Saitama has two High 6-A feats. And 0 5-B feats.

He's Possibly 5-B at the very best.
'Destroy the planet' implies having enough power to destroy a planet. Crazy I know. You don't use that sort of statement for chipping away at a planet until there's nothing left.

The second one is practically WoG.

And again, Saitama having 'two High 6-A feats. And 0 5-B feats' doesn't contradict the statements, because he is far far superior to the high 6-A feat he performed (pretty sure there's only one? correct me if im wrong)

There's two. First scaling from how much energy Boros CSRC would produce. And the following cloud dispersion that happened after.

Still. With only statements backing a rating up. "Possibly" 5-B is far more reasonable.

Oh ok

I don't see the problem with reliable statements being used to justify a character's tier. We do the same with Garou and he only has one statement, which really isn't that much more credible than the Murata one alone.

Except that that was a direct statement from ONE. The originial author. Murata handles the manga. In any case. Statements should typically have a "likely" or "Possibly" added onto the tiering if there are no feats on the level of that statement backing them up.

Assaltwaffle said:
A statement doesn't need to be backed up by a databook. If the character has no reason to lie about it and is shown to be unquantifiably stronger than surface destroying, it seems plausible.

Someone with heavy involvement in the series confirming this just supports it.
This and the fact that the anime adaptation that ONE had involvement in flat out has Saitama as a planetbuster. With ONE and Murata apparently being okay with this, unlike other instances of the anime where they've complained about characters becoming stronger than they should be.

VersusJunkie54 said:
Except that that was a direct statement from ONE. The originial author. Murata handles the manga. In any case. Statements should typically have a "likely" or "Possibly" added onto the tiering if there are no feats on the level of that statement backing them up.
I'm aware of who ONE and Murata are. Point is that a statement from Murata is almost as reliable as a statement from ONE.

I don't get why people have an issue with reliable statements being used when there's absolutely nothing contradicting said statements

Reminder that Murata literally doesn't answer questions he doesn't know and tells people to go ask ONE in that case.

I mean, we accept Cell as a 4-B via statements and guides. I don't see why 5-B Saitama wouldn't be acceptable.

I am personally fine with "Possibly 5-B" for Saitama, but a definitive rating seems like a bit much.

I think one statement in series, one WoG statement, one feat in the anime (which the creators had input on and apparently didn't think contradicted how powerful he was in the original), one guidebook statement, and another guidebook statement all saying the same is fine enough to rate him as that. Why's Cell 4-B then?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back