• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Simple question about ability layers

Rikimarox2

He/Him
So, in a novel I'm reading, a character has a thing that allows him to resist mental interfering shit (Mind manip, fear manip, empathic manip, etc...), but only if the rank of his magic is equal to the opponent, or if the opponent is lower. His mental barrier is affected by his magic level, btw.

There are ranks from F- to SSS+

If both the dudes are Rank B, then the Mc will be able to resist any type of mind manip the opponent throws. But if the opponent is one level higher (B+), then he cannot resist it and gets affected.

Can these levels be considered layers?

Technically? Is this like a rare case or smth?
Nah, case like this is not exactly rare. So, the rank can be treat as layers unless I don’t know… there something disapprove this notion like some kind of anti feat or there being inconsistentency for it.

Naw there's no technicality. The very definition of layers is bypassing resistances and shit. Assuming there are + for each rank, the layering would be like

F < F+ < D < D+ < C < C+ < B < B+ < A < A+ < S < S+ < SS < SS+ < SSS < SSS+

For a B rank, it'd be like 6 or 7 layers of resistance. (I put the or because I'm confused as to whether or not the weakest in a layering scaling chain still has one layer, technically it's only 6 layers, but should the F rank be considered a single layer, then B would be 7 layers)

So yeah this counts.

It has a plus and a minus :3

I'm gonna have way too much fun with this, if these are considered layers.

Back