• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reppuzan

VS Battles
Retired
I've noticed that a bunch of horror film antagonists have "Slasherporting" as a power.

To me it sounds more like a cinematic technique and a trope rather than an actual power. Does anyone want to provide input on this?

Unless it has been shown to be an actual ability, it probably shouldn't be added.

I'd add to that the Broadway Force and Breaking the Fourth Wall doesn't sound like actual abilities, but just things that happens due to the medium. We never seriously used either of these abilities serioulsy in debates as far as I'm aware.

@Saikou

The reason why I'm bringing it up is the fact that it did in fact appear on a VERY long-winded Batman vs Jason thread to my annoyance.

I would agree that slasherporting is not a real ability but like everyone says a true or cinematic effect but one question. In mortal Kombat X didn't Jason have slasherporting as an ability he could use. Does anyone remember teleporting in that game, if not we should remove that ability form Jason and other profiles.

The real cal howard said:
Jason has it as a canon ability tho...
I haven't seen the jason movies in a long while, was he able to teleport hi sled in a closed room befor win any of the movies? I vaguely remember something in Jason X

Grudgeman1706 said:
The real cal howard said:
Jason has it as a canon ability tho...
I haven't seen the jason movies in a long while, was he able to teleport hi sled in a closed room befor win any of the movies? I vaguely remember something in Jason X
According to one of the canon novels, he can literally teleport (Or at least that's what I recall reading on TVTropes).

One thing I am wondering though, is "slasherporting" really notable as its own unique power?

What difference does it have from regular teleportation, other than the fact slashers use it?

If someone like Jason has shown to be able to teleport as suggested, then his power should probably just be listed as teleportation in my opinion.

I mean, we don't classify a power as an entirely new ability just because a certain group of people also have it. We wouldn't rename shapeshifting "bus-shaping" if a bunch of bus drivers in fiction happened to have the power.

@Ryukama agreed, however not everyone has teleportation as an actual power.

As reppuzan stated, slasherporting is an actual trope in movies or shows, not an actual power. examples include Michael Myers or leatherface

Other characters listed to have slasherporting(except Jason) should have it removed unless specifically stated to have teleportion as a power like Jason or another notable teleportion slasher Freddy Krueger who do have teleporting powers.

I get that. What I mean is if a slasher does have teleportation as a canon power and not just a plot convience/trope, it should just be named teleportation.

Slasherporting seems more like a trope more than an actual ability. Shouldn't be used in profiles. and who ever has it on their profile should have it removed.

@Blue I agree, however as me and Ryu stated anyone who has concrete proof of actual teleportation should just have their profiles of it changed to normal teleportation.

Right I noticed that. So just switching it to teleportation should be fine however. If the character in the movies just happens to appear right next to the characters or something without any real explanation or such it should not even be labeled in the profile. it is just done for horror effect. Most people seem to see it that way too, so there's not much more discussion to be done correct?

The only question left is, which profiles need this change, I've checked the Michael Myers and leatherface page and they don't have that listed, but who else has it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back