• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

SNK Revival and Revamp Pt. 1: Fatal Fury and Art of Fighting

SamanPatou

VS Battles
Administrator
It was in my plans since a long time, and this thread acted as a kickstarter.
We're going to clean up the SNK franchises, making some split between KoF and the original series and maybe sort some stuff out along the way.

Obviously, we had to start where it all began: Fatal Fury and its cousing Art of Fighting, as they share the same world.
This first thread is to finalize the creation of the profiles for FF and AoF versions of characters such as Terry, Geese, Ryo, Mai etc..., and set up the stats that would be given to characters who only exist in these series. The current files will be turned into "KoF" versions, purified from references to FF and/or AoF and handled at a later time.
There's also going to be a dedicated verse page, so for starters I'm going to make a quick rundown of the games that compose the series, and some further notes, but first let me clear some things, bearing in mind that we'll soon discuss about sources and whatnot.

The FF series has several games that follow the concept of "Dream Match", which has also been applied to the KoF series. These games don't have a plot, and are basically enhanced versions of previous ones meant to be "Everyone is here"-like of games, featuring characters that weren't in the previous game, are dead or etc.. Since they don't have a story, feats and moves in here can be safely considered either what ifs or further detailing of the characters' capabilities, since nothing else elsewhere goes against them. In the list below, they are marked by indent bullet points.

Buriki One features Ryo Sakazaki under the alias of "Mr. Karate II", a concept that would also be used for Neo Geo Battle Coliseum, a crossover game. Official websites such as the one for the Neo Geo Complete Box and the one to celebrate the 15th Anniversary of FF don't make any mention of Buriki One, and the game itself runs on its own plot without any connection with other games.
For this reason, Buriki One is to be considered its own canon, and the Ryo appearing as a guest has to likewise be considered a "Buriki One" version.

Fatal Fury Wild Ambition is practically a remake of the first FF, unrelated to the main series and kind of ininfluential for the actual main series, so it will not be considered as well.
Same goes for the pachinkos, btw.

Garou Densetsu 15th Anniversary ~Memories of Stray Wolves~, is a short anime story released with the soundtrack CD for the 15th anniversary of the series. The entire product is official SNK and the movie tells the events of the game, with some clarification. Nothing contradicts the established story, it just sheds some light on muddy events. And as said, the product being official makes it canon.

And now, let's see the series:
The Art of Fighting series takes place 10 years prior the first FF, and goes on only for three games, AoF 1, 2 and 3.
  • Fatal Fury
  • Fatal Fury 2
    • Fatal Fury Special
  • Fatal Fury3
  • Real Bout Fatal Fury
    • Real Bout Fatal Fury Special
    • Real Bout Fatal Fury 2: The Newcomers
  • Real Bout Fatal Fury Special: Dominated Mind
  • Garou: Mark of the Wolves

Now, onto the files. I decided to begin by making drafts for Terry, Geese, Ryo and Robert, basically the four most important ones, but others will follow once the revision is done. Terry still needs some refining, such as resizing the images, finishing the NA&T list and making some small tweak to the fighting style description, but since most of the stuff is already there, I thought it would have been a good idea to just start the CRT in the meanwhile.
This is the sandbox containing the drafts.

Next, I'm going to present some stuff:

Blogs:
Stats:
  • AP, SS and Dura: The characters smashing a large wall in 7 hits (not accounting boosted attacks) is the highest feat I could find, and is held on by a number of other things.
  • LS: Cheng throwing a statue, he isn't anything impressive physically speaking and not even AP-wise, and since every character is muscle-based, with some UES shenanigans based on ki, I'd say it's fine to scale them all to him.
  • Speed: Generic Superhuman combat speed and reactions out of scaling to people attacking at such speed (Ryo, Robert and B. Jenet), Bob Wilson doing a weird feat of catching fire while spinning to perform a spinning kick, and Cheng ramming you with his van. The latter could probably be calced if we were to find footages of characters blocking the attack once the van appears on screen, if possible, but I just couldn't find any.

And that covers everything important, I think.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if this belongs here or if I should ask someone to find a way to calc it for me, but Garou: Mark of the Wolves's boss fight against Kain ends with cutscenes depicting the building they're at falling apart, likely due to the fight.
I'm not sure if Garou: Mark of the Wolves is within FF and AoF canon since continuity problem is more frequent for 80s and 90s games. (You can say that dealing with canonity of these games should be with caution and Wikipedia is not always reliable regarding this) But no matter if it is within said canon, it should be calculated. Too bad Goose may not scaled to this feat no matter what.

Anyway, SNK, which is once one of the stars in the gaming history, finally received some love.

everything looks good well done though i want to ask something
are the resources saved on an timemachine or an archive? since this stuff is quite important and can go off the face of the internet at any moment if it's too much of a hassle for you i can do it
Yes, every website and manual has been saved on web archive

I'm not sure if this belongs here or if I should ask someone to find a way to calc it for me, but Garou: Mark of the Wolves's boss fight against Kain ends with cutscenes depicting the building they're at falling apart, likely due to the fight.
I considered it, but the feat has several issues:
  • We don't really know if the collapse is really caused by the battle
  • We don't know how many hits and attacks were needed to cause it
  • We don't know what has been struck, since the building is progressively breaking down, instead of having been destroyed in a single hit, meaning that the fighters could have damaged the foundations, compromising its stability.

I'm not sure if Garou: Mark of the Wolves is within FF and AoF canon since continuity problem is more frequent for 80s and 90s games. (You can say that dealing with canonity of these games should be with caution and Wikipedia is not always reliable regarding this) But no matter if it is within said canon, it should be calculated. Too bad Goose may not scaled to this feat no matter what.
Garou's indeed canon, the story is a direct sequel to Real Bout, there are recurring characters, their quotes check out and every website lists it as a sequel.

Also, I have added the following bit to the op, which I have forgot to put in there yesterday:
Garou Densetsu 15th Anniversary ~Memories of Stray Wolves~, is a short anime story released with the soundtrack CD for the 15th anniversary of the series. The entire product is official SNK and the movie tells the events of the game, with some clarification. Nothing contradicts the established story, it just sheds some light on muddy events. And as said, the product being official makes it canon.

Cant say much against these as far as i checked

Though what if the stages changing between rounds will have people be against it in the future for whatever reasons? I seen some off site before complaining on that not being legitimate or such

Though what if the stages changing between rounds will have people be against it in the future for whatever reasons? I seen some off site before complaining on that not being legitimate or such
Then we'll debate them.
I personally don't see anything wrong with them other than incredulity, it's a recurring factor in many games (in the blog I only mention story-related games), with a lot of details in them and no contradiction with anything else.

Looks good. Gotta ask, are the OVAs for Fatal Fury canon? I remember some decent feats in those.
No, they've been made by third parties and follow their own stories, without any connection to the games, and viceversa.
I'll probably make files for them someday. (Unless someone such as Tonygameman wants to do it first, I just read it),

Maybe the last bump, since many people, staff included, gave their agreement.

I'm about to finish the verse page, and I guess that once it is ready, I can start publishing the content of this thread.
I feel that it is time to do that. Also, I have removed [[Category:Art of Fighting]] in KoF Takuma Sakazaki's profile since AoF Takuma will have his own profile. The same should be applied to all the previous composited AoF+KoF profiles.

Everything's been taken care of, and the four profiles are online.
I'll make several other files for these two series, before passing on to the next one, which most likely will be Samurai Shodown.

I know you know, but for the record and everyone's information, I still believe the evidences brought up don't hold on, as it was only based on SNK Heroines artbook that mentioned the origin series of the characters, something pretty obvious that every crossover does, and same goes for the references to their past, this also happens in every crossover.

Im aware, tho that still needs to be handled since last time was said after snk verses are handled, the cross scaling needs to be taken care of as well since that will be brought up again

I can wind up a note on the Samsho verse page once it is created, and add something similar the day I revise KoF.

Back