• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Solo leveling speed upgrade

In the novel, Jin woo saved Igris from the Breath of destruction which was described as a " blinding ray of light " moving at the speed of light and Jin woo react and outspeed said attack.

https://imgur.com/a/AYR3lf8

Of course, it is EOS Jin woo in the novel.

Would we just say Jin-Woo is light speed? Because I don't see a way to calc him intercepting the Breath as we have no idea on the distance he crossed to do so.

Question is whether there are anymore mentions of light speed or lesser speeds being his limit ever since he became a full Monarch?

AnonymousBlank said:
Would we just say Jin-Woo is light speed? Because I don't see a way to calc him intercepting the Breath as we have no idea on the distance he crossed to do so.
Question is whether there are anymore mentions of light speed or lesser speeds being his limit ever since he became a full Monarch?
The attack called Breath of destruction which is basically the strongest attack of Antares, the Monarch of destruction can erase anything from existence.

It is described in the novel as you see as a ray of light which is stated to be light speed and that attack was lauched toward Igris which Jin woo react, outspeed and block it in time with only his left arm being permanent damaged.

It is a novel text dude, not a manga where you can pixel calcul lol.

But Jin woo wasn't present there and he just came in time to save Igris, meaning he was faster than that attack.

That is barely FTL, not just light speed.

Yes, it is when he became a Full Monarch but still inexperienced and when he faced the final villain for the first time.

I know what it does.

I did read the excerpt. I am asking because it is possibly an outlier if Sovereign Jin-Woo was said to be moving at top speed but was something less than light speed like lightning or breaking the sound barrier etc. A single feat isn't enough when he has plenty of opportunity for other feats so I am curious as to whether he has anymore descriptions of his speed since his resurrection.

We don't need images to calc how fast he is. So long as there is some mention of a distance and time we can calc speed.

Was this not during his second fight with Antares? Or am I confusing the two Antares fights? I'm gonna have to go reread the novel tbh. Been a while.

Simply being called a "Ray of light" isn't always enough proof of light speed unless there's more context.

DarkDragonMedeus said:
Simply being called a "Ray of light" isn't always enough proof of light speed unless there's more context.
The context is simply as it is describing in the novel as being at the speed of light as clearly mentioned there. The Monarch of destruction strongest attack is basically a ray of light called breath of destruction which has existantial erasure hax in it and stated to erase anything of the universe, also stated to be light speed.

Same way several novels does and how Black clover is accepted as well under those context.

AnonymousBlank said:
I know what it does.
I did read the excerpt. I am asking because it is possibly an outlier if Sovereign Jin-Woo was said to be moving at top speed but was something less than light speed like lightning or breaking the sound barrier etc. A single feat isn't enough when he has plenty of opportunity for other feats so I am curious as to whether he has anymore descriptions of his speed since his resurrection.

We don't need images to calc how fast he is. So long as there is some mention of a distance and time we can calc speed.

Was this not during his second fight with Antares? Or am I confusing the two Antares fights? I'm gonna have to go reread the novel tbh. Been a while.
How it is an outlier since Jin woo is basically the strongest in the show lol and it is at the final fight after he became the full Monarch without any system limitations on him. He doesn't have any descriptions like system after he became the Full Shadow Monarch as the system simply disseapear and his limitations are completely released.

The feat is clearly stated to be light speed on the novel and he clearly interceped it, no matter how you spin it.

He fought him the first time when he was inexperienced and the second and final time where he basically solo him along with the others Monarchs alone after the time reset for 27 years.

Oh yeah, I did see the "Speed of light" statement. I'm neutral, but prefer input from some calc group members perhaps.

DarkDragonMedeus said:
Oh yeah, I did see the "Speed of light" statement. I'm neutral, but prefer input from some calc group members perhaps.
How neutal, that feat is performed by basically the strongest character of the series at the final part of the novel when he literally become a God lol in his own verse. It isn't done by some fodder in case someone scream outlier here.

How can you calcul something stated on a novel with a text? Speed is just described and the nature of the attack " ray of brilliant light " notice brilliant light is used. The context of the attack is perfectly clear.

We literally does that for several verse when they state that their light is light speed lol, for example Black clover ( one I know ) and it is a manga, not a novel.

Just going to point out, that "Speed of Light" is a common hyperbole, but given that this is the strongest character in the verse, I don't think it would be too much of an outlier.

DarkDragonMedeus said:
Just going to point out, that "Speed of Light" is a common hyperbole, but given that this is the strongest character in the verse, I don't think it would be too much of an outlier.
How that is a hyperbole since it is an attack from basically the God tier of the series and described as such, attack also described as a ray of brilliant light once again lol. And boy by strongest, he is basically by far the strongest as all the others beside Jin woo are fodders to him.

Explain under those circumstances.

With your stance, several verse deserve to be downgraded speed wise when they are a mention of light speed in novel like series or any type of speed description in light novel.

Don't forget that Solo leveling original material is that light novel with those texts.

I never said it was a hyperbole, I was simply noting it. The standards are case by case. I'm leaning towards it being light speed however.

DarkDragonMedeus said:
I never said it was a hyperbole, I was simply noting it. The standards are case by case. I'm leaning towards it being light speed however.
It would be a hyperbole if it was done by a fodder for me in that verse where God tier doesn't show same level of speed

Not the clear God tier of the verse himself which is tier far above of the rest and it is basically his strongest attack, you get the context now? No one is faster and stronger than that dude in that verse except of course EOS Jin woo.

So don't worry, no one get the scaling except 2 persons which happen to be the God tiers of their respective verse.

Yeah since it is done by him alone, hardly it is a hyperbole.

@Dragon

Pretty sure it being light speed is a guarantee when it gets called light three times, a ray twice, blinding twice, stated to be SoL and even burns Jin-Woo (who resists EE so that can be ignored). Only issue is it being called flames but since it's speed was stated, it should be fine.

@Dooyo

Are you purposely misinterpreting what I post? I am asking for other speed feats Jin-Woo has after becoming a Sovereign. The novel describes what happens, not the system. It very much can be an outlier for Jin-Woo if is shown to struggle with slower attacks despite being a Sovereign. And because you will no doubt misinterpret what I say once again despite my clarifications, let me say it explicitly. I am not saying this is an outlier. I am asking for other speed feats from Sovereign Jin-Woo to check if it's an outlier.

AnonymousBlank said:
@Dragon
Pretty sure it being light speed is a guarantee when it gets called light three times, a ray twice, blinding twice, stated to be SoL and even burns Jin-Woo (who resists EE so that can be ignored). Only issue is it being called flames but since it's speed was stated, it should be fine.

@Dooyo

Are you purposely misinterpreting what I post? I am asking for other speed feats Jin-Woo has after becoming a Sovereign. The novel describes what happens, not the system. It very much can be an outlier for Jin-Woo if is shown to struggle with slower attacks despite being a Sovereign. And because you will no doubt misinterpret what I say once again despite my clarifications, let me say it explicitly. I am not saying this is an outlier. I am asking for other speed feats from Sovereign Jin-Woo to check if it's an outlier.
Then you can be assured, there isn't any as it is the final battle where he is basically the strongest and fully the Shadow Monarch but still inexperienced ( still far above anyone except one and you guessed, it is Antares ) That light attack effect upon the target is burning it from existence yeah.

Basically, that is his best and ONLY speed feat as he became the Souvereign.

And lastly forgot the system, after he became the complete souvereign or the Shadow monarch, the system was erased forever and there aren't any limiters on Jin woo anymore on his stats, mana, stamina, abilities, etc.

That system by the way was just a mere fragment of the Shadow Monarch powers in order to prepare Jin woo.

Outlier = Outside of normal feats, so being a God-Tier makes this a non-issue

Hyperbole = Exagerration or flowery language, since this statement is all we have and there is no more details, this probably is hyperbole.

SomebodyData said:
Outlier = Outside of normal feats, so being a God-Tier makes this a non-issue
Hyperbole = Exagerration or flowery language, since this statement is all we have and there is no more details, this probably is hyperbole.
How it is a hyperbole once again when the attack is described as both brilliant light and at light speed in the novel? He is a higher God being by the way capable to destroying planets

And that is the strongest attack from the God tier of the entire verse in the final battle? What do you need more in a novel format lol

If you see that as a hyperbole despite the novel stating clearly the opposite, then any light speed stated in any medium particulary a novel is hyperbole as well, you have to be consistent.

Outlier means inconsistent feat that doesn't belong. So a god tier performing the best feat in the verse makes the thing not really an issue.

First things first, you need to stop quoting people when they post walls of text. It clogs the thread and makes it harder to read.

Second, he has multiple fights since becoming Sovereign and he can have different descriptions for his actions which is why I ask for anything else. There is no way the BoD is the only description of speed when Jin-Woo flexed on 3 Sovereigns and had multiple parts to his fight with Antares and the final one in the Chaos World. The other Sovereigns were also able to react to him after he resurrected so his previous form's speed feats are also relevant.

I have read the novel so I am aware of how the system works. Also it isn't removing his limits, it is removing the limits placed on his access to Ashborn's power.

AnonymousBlank said:
First things first, you need to stop quoting people when they post walls of text. It clogs the thread and makes it harder to read.
Second, he has multiple fights since becoming Sovereign and he can have different descriptions for his actions which is why I ask for anything else. There is no way the BoD is the only description of speed when Jin-Woo flexed on 3 Sovereigns and had multiple parts to his fight with Antares and the final one in the Chaos World. The other Sovereigns were also able to react to him after he resurrected so his previous form's speed feats are also relevant.

I have read the novel so I am aware of how the system works. Also it isn't removing his limits, it is removing the limits placed on his access to Ashborn's power.
You mean the 3 souvereigns that he casually beat after becoming a full Shadow monarch? Lol that was a stomp dude.

He only has 2 fights with Antares, the second and last true fight, he solo alone all of them including Antares in the Chaos World for 27 years no stop, clearly showing that he got stronger and cemented at being the strongest at the end of the series.

If you read the novel then why asking about the system? It was removed after he got access to the full power of Ashborn, previously with the system, he only had access to a fragment hence why I said that the limiters of those powers were off.

Including obviously his stats

SomebodyData said:
A lot of attacks are described the same way, heck most generic energy attacks are described or shown as a beam of brilliant light.
We actually have a guide for this, so we're consistent.
Are they described as the speed of light as well? That is the main important point here beside the ray of brilliant light which is also present.

How do you want it to be described in a novel format? That is my question to you all this time

Remember, novel format.

You either have speed of light or you don't in a novel for any light attack, speed description is what matters in a novel format more when it isn't vague but explicit like the " speed of light ".

The intent of the author in the novel was clear toward the speed of that attack from that God tier.

AnonymousBlank said:
@Dragon
Pretty sure it being light speed is a guarantee when it gets called light three times, a ray twice, blinding twice, stated to be SoL
Just coming here to reiterate that only 2 of these are actual evidences for light speed. Being called light and a ray is not evidence at all.

ProfessorKukui4Life said:
AnonymousBlank said:
@Dragon
Pretty sure it being light speed is a guarantee when it gets called light three times, a ray twice, blinding twice, stated to be SoL
Just coming here to reiterate that only 2 of these are actual evidences for light speed. Being called light and a ray is not evidence at all.
It is when the speed of said ray of light was highlighted in the novel.

Hightlighted in an explicit way, not a vague way.

Vague way of description of speed in novel is: extremelly fast or god speed, unquantifiable in novel format text.

Explicit way of description of speed in novel is: speed of sound, speed of lightning and speed of light when a feat is performed and described as they are quantifiable in a novel format text.

The attack is called light, acts like light being blinding and as someone one mentioned earlier burns as well. The attack is also stated to be at the speed of light. So, I don't think its speed should be a issue.

@SD, Medeus, and Julian

Thank you for helping out.

Yeah, this is over

https://www.readlightnovel.org/solo-leveling/chapter-269

Here is also plus for this case, this is the second last chapter of the Novel, after the epilogue and the side stories where Jin woo is basically the strongest by far.

"Soo-Hoh's eyes grew wider as they caught the sight of the man's palm closing in on his face faster than the speed of light.

The boy squeezed his eyes shut.

And soon, the light completely blinded him."

Basically Soo Hoh is Jin woo son which inheritated some of the Shadow powers and his Father created a Dungeon for him and in that Dungeon, he was basically the final boss, playing with him lol.

EOS Jin woo is indeed portrayed at the novel at being FTL at the very least, now there is no doubt anymore. ( not that there were even before )

@Kukui

Being stated to be the speed of light should also be pretty good evidence especially in a text-based verse, where it's not really possible to determine a lot of combat speed feats without using those kinds of statements.

YungManzi said:
@Kukui
Being stated to be the speed of light should also be pretty good evidence especially in a text-based verse, where it's not really possible to determine a lot of combat speed feats without using those kinds of statements.
Exactly, it is literally impossible to do it in text novel based verse, you only have statement to go for and only that which is the point of a text based verse novel. And statement has to be explicit, not vague, here they are explicit fortunately.

Pseudo-Shadow Monarch Jin-Woo has a feat where he managed to dodge magical lightning with effort against the Demon King, but there were concerns that it is an outlier. If FTL is possible with very high stats then this should be a reasonable upgrade.

Lightning Dodging Feat

Along with that hair-raising yell, a chill-inducing beam of blue light enveloped the Shadow Soldiers .

Kwa-bzzzzzzzzzz!!

'… . Lightning?!'

Jin-Woo's eyes widened from sheer surprise .

Soldiers getting swept up in the blue electrical storm disintegrated in an instant, while those that managed to avoid instant death stood still in their spots as if they were frozen solid .

'… . It's not regular lightning . '

Lightning bolts containing horrifying destructive power, as well as side-effects of stunning their targets, fell all over the place . And of course, one of these blue-coloured electrical storms also headed for Jin-Woo as well .

Cra-ckle!!

Quite unlike his Shadow Soldiers, he didn't receive a single lick of damage, however .

All burn-related damage was absorbed by the 'Wind Robe' he currently had on, and . . . .

[You have resisted abnormal status with the effects of 'Buff: Immunity' . ]

… . As for the lightning's stun effect, his abnormal status immunity buff dealt with it .

Jin-Woo dashed towards Baran right away . If he didn't stop the boss's AOE magic right now, there was a good chance that the flow of battle would shift away from his favour .

Baran's glare landed on Jin-Woo .

Gahaaaaahk!!

Another ear-screeching yell exploded out from the boss's wide open mouth, and blue streaks of lightning rained all around Jin-Woo .
Crackle, crack, crackle!!

However, Baran flinched grandly upon realising that the concentrated lightning attacks had no effect on Jin-Woo .

'… . . !!'

He sensed the boss's agitation quite clearly .

Utilising the skill 'Dash' that had reached the maximum achievable level, Jin-Woo closed the distance in the blink of an eye and jumped up high in the air . Baran also unsheathed its sword .

Jin-Woo's reverse-gripped 'Baruka's Dagger' and the Demon King's blade, infused with bluish flames, clashed face to face .

BOOM!!

A huge explosion of noise spread out; Baran was shoved off the Sky Dragon, while Jin-Woo was flung away by the rebound as well .

Jin-Woo stopped rolling on the ground and got up at the same time as Baran . They glared at each other only for a brief moment .

Both of them dashed towards each other with everything they had almost out of pure instinct .

Gaaaaaahk!!

Baran spat out more blue sparks from his mouth .

Craaaackle!! Crack!!

Countless blue-coloured rays of light crashed down on him . Jin-Woo continued to run forward while believing in the defensive properties of the robe, but then, he sensed something was off .

'… . It's getting hotter?'

>When he glanced back, he realised that the end of the robe was on fire . He quickly threw off the robe .

'I guess that's as far as the robe can protect me . '

In the end, it was an artefact crafted by humans . It had already performed its job quite admirably up to this point, so he felt no regret . From here onwards, Jin-Woo had to take care of things o
his own .
He swallowed his saliva .

Gaaahhhhak!!

As if it had sensed that an opportunity had arrived, the intensity of the blue sparks crackling within Baran's mouth increased by a notch . Jin-Woo heightened his senses as much as he could to get ready .

'I can do this . '

No, he simply had to do this .

With time slowing down substantially in his perspective, Jin-Woo calmly evaded each and every single one of the blue arcs of lightning flying right at him .

'… . Why is this happening?'

Craaackle!

As Baran's figure got closer and closer, Jin-Woo began recalling his memories of the Demon's Castle one by one . Even during that, he still managed to evade the blue lightnings .

Craaaackle!!

His heart was beating quite gently right now .

Ba-dump, ba-dump, ba-dump . . . .

Jin-Woo dodged all of Baran's attacks by a truly paper-thin margin, and eventually, stood before the Demon King .

ShadowWhoWalks said:
Pseudo-Shadow Monarch Jin-Woo has a feat where he managed to dodge magical lightning with effort against the Demon King, but there were concerns that it is an outlier. If FTL is possible with very high stats then this should be a reasonable upgrade.
Lightning Dodging Feat

Along with that hair-raising yell, a chill-inducing beam of blue light enveloped the Shadow Soldiers .

Kwa-bzzzzzzzzzz!!

'… . Lightning?!'

Soldiers getting swept up in the blue electrical storm disintegrated in an instant, while those that managed to avoid instant death stood still in their spots as if they were frozen solid .

Lightning bolts containing horrifying destructive power, as well as side-effects of stunning their targets, fell all over the place . And of course, one of these blue-coloured electrical storms also headed for Jin-Woo as well .

Cra-ckle!!

Quite unlike his Shadow Soldiers, he didn't receive a single lick of damage, however .

All burn-related damage was absorbed by the 'Wind Robe' he currently had on, and . . . .

… . As for the lightning's stun effect, his abnormal status immunity buff dealt with it .

Jin-Woo dashed towards Baran right away . If he didn't stop the boss's AOE magic right now, there was a good chance that the flow of battle would shift away from his favour .

Gahaaaaahk!!

Another ear-screeching yell exploded out from the boss's wide open mouth, and blue streaks of lightning rained all around Jin-Woo .

However, Baran flinched grandly upon realising that the concentrated lightning attacks had no effect on Jin-Woo .

'… . . !!'

Utilising the skill 'Dash' that had reached the maximum achievable level, Jin-Woo closed the distance in the blink of an eye and jumped up high in the air . Baran also unsheathed its sword .

Jin-Woo's reverse-gripped 'Baruka's Dagger' and the Demon King's blade, infused with bluish flames, clashed face to face .

BOOM!!

A huge explosion of noise spread out; Baran was shoved off the Sky Dragon, while Jin-Woo was flung away by the rebound as well .

Jin-Woo stopped rolling on the ground and got up at the same time as Baran . They glared at each other only for a brief moment .

Both of them dashed towards each other with everything they had almost out of pure instinct .

Gaaaaaahk!!

Craaaackle!! Crack!!

Countless blue-coloured rays of light crashed down on him . Jin-Woo continued to run forward while believing in the defensive properties of the robe, but then, he sensed something was off .

>When he glanced back, he realised that the end of the robe was on fire . He quickly threw off the robe .

In the end, it was an artefact crafted by humans . It had already performed its job quite admirably up to this point, so he felt no regret . From here onwards, Jin-Woo had to take care of things o
his own .

Gaaahhhhak!!

As if it had sensed that an opportunity had arrived, the intensity of the blue sparks crackling within Baran's mouth increased by a notch . Jin-Woo heightened his senses as much as he could to get ready .

'I can do this . '

With time slowing down substantially in his perspective, Jin-Woo calmly evaded each and every single one of the blue arcs of lightning flying right at him .

Craaackle!

As Baran's figure got closer and closer, Jin-Woo began recalling his memories of the Demon's Castle one by one . Even during that, he still managed to evade the blue lightnings .

Craaaackle!!

Jin-Woo dodged all of Baran's attacks by a truly paper-thin margin, and eventually, stood before the Demon King .
Also more.

https://imgur.com/oiEzP39

Not an outlier as when he is Full Shadow Monarch, his power is on a different dimension compared to when he was a pseudo Shadow Monarch. Full Shadow Monarch Jin woo is FTL and EOS Jin woo who become even stronger to the point that all Rulers are scared of him is FTL+ and he has a feat on that level at well as posted by me above.

ShadowWhoWalks said:
Lightning Dodging Feat

Kwa-bzzzzzzzzzz!!

'… . Lightning?!'

Cra-ckle!!

Gahaaaaahk!!

'… . . !!'

BOOM!!

Gaaaaaahk!!

Craaaackle!! Crack!!

his own .

Gaaahhhhak!!

'I can do this . '

Craaackle!

Craaaackle!!

I am carefully reading the novel to see if they forgot to add some of his abilities and hax and resistance on his profile as well, after all they are 270 chapters of the novel.

If you are more advanced than me, can you makes a thread to recall all of that by your memory and see if they forgot to add something?

Narrator also described EoS Jin-Woo attacking his son at "Faster than the speed of light".

""….Dad?!"
The mystery man smirked gently.
"Still too early."
Soo-Hoh's eyes grew wider as they caught the sight of the man's palm closing in on his face faster than the speed of light.
- Ch 269

Also just wanna mention that "lightning" magic in SL was described as having destructive power of Fire magic and speedy nature of Light magic.

XBlake123 said:
Narrator also described EoS Jin-Woo attacking his son at "Faster than the speed of light".
""….Dad?!"
The mystery man smirked gently.
"Still too early."
Soo-Hoh's eyes grew wider as they caught the sight of the man's palm closing in on his face faster than the speed of light.
- Ch 269

Also just wanna mention that "lightning" magic in SL was described as having destructive power of Fire magic and speedy nature of Light magic.
Yeah, I noticed that as well, now there is no doubt anymore that EOS Jin woo at the very end of the novel is at least FTL.

About the lightning feat, what matter is how it is described in the novel about its speed, it is stated to be lightning speed? speed of light?

XBlake123 said:
Still not sure why Jin-Woo is rated only Supersonic in all keys when he literally reacted and evaded multiple lightning bolts of Baran and manhwa further showed Baran literally creating storm clouds which were raining down lightning
https://i2.wp.com/jaiminisbox.com/r...-0_5d79377105539/14.jpg?quality=100&strip=all
https://i1.wp.com/jaiminisbox.com/r...105539/15.jpg?quality=100&strip=allSupersonic, MHS and finally FTL goes well with the consistent scaling of his leveling up.
That is because few know the novel here. ( granted I was the same lol )

Several of his abilities, hax and resistance is missing as well.

When we finish for Jin woo, the others characters are next.

I agree with FTL Sovereign Jin-Woo. Are there any other lightning users besides Baran? If we say Baran is MHS then Igris, Hae-In and the other S Class and up scale as well since she fought Igris with Baran's sword and won.

Back