• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Some Garfield feats

It looks good to me except the fire manip. He doesn't normally have Peruvian Death Peppers on him so he likely can't do that normally.

The gravity manip is also pretty shaky. The picture could just be upside-down, or better yet, he's just strong enough to hold himself up like that.

"You can't have the lasagna, Garfield."

"Oh, yeah?"

Garfield kicks, but Jon backflips to dodge it, defying the laws of physics

This one is an outlier. Additionally, it cannot actually be proven that a continent was sunk, just that a room was flooded.

This guy doesn't die. He shows up in other comics as a reoccurring character. The comment is a joke. I doubt he's even knocked out, because toon physics durability, but that can't be proven either way.

The feat of manifesting things from his dreams is likely an outlier, guys. Gag feats are not necessarily consistent with a character's actual abilities. If you can produce other examples of this happening, then it's not an outlier, but given how he doesn't simply manifest lasagna whenever he's hungry, I'm thinking this is not actually something he can do outside of a gag.

Sorry, but I gotta stick to my principles when it comes to wank, guys.

CinnabarManx421 said:
Anyone else got an opinion on the Fire Manip and Gravity Manip not being legit either?
Okay, guys? The general rule of thumb for comedy toon characters is that if the power isn't demonstrated multiple times, it's a one-off gag feat and thus an outlier.

That honestly just keeps the wank down. Otherwise we'd have a godlike Garfield which is nothing like the original is actually portrayed. We are going for accuracy here, after all.

Well the problem with those isn't that they're outliers, it's that the fire manip relies on an object he doesn't normally have and the gravity manip is not at all clear that he's manipulating gravity.

HeadlessKramerGeoff777 said:
Then wouldn't most of his abilities be outliers?
That is the fate of one-off gag feats in general—consistency is sacrificed for a discardable joke. Just because one time in a comic Garfield ate the planet (I'm not saying he did, this is an example) does not make him planet level, because that would be a huge outlier to everything else we see of Garfield.

Basically, just ask yourself "does this fit with what Garfield regularly does?"

No, just because he doesn't use them often doesn't mean they are outliers. That's not how outliers work. Them not using it repeatedly does not contradict them having it. Go look at the bugs bunny profile, just cuz a gag character only uses an ability once does not mean they do not have it. They are not "outliers"

The death pepper is just incredibly specific, not an outlier. Same with the gravity. They are just incredibly limited, but that does not mean he does not have them, just that he doesn't walk around with a pepper and hanging upside down isn't exactly a useful ability

Back