• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Sonic Optional Equipment

Jinsye

She/Her
Mario has the same problem, but Sonic will require me to explain my points in-depth a bit more since this has been brought up multiple times.

WISPS SHOULD NOT BE STANDARD EQUIPMENT
Well. That's the thesis out of the way, so let's delve into why this should be.

To quote the Standard Equipment page:
Standard Equipment refers to a set of items that a character can be expected to have on hand at any time.
The Wisps do not qualify for this. Sonic does not have access to the Wisps at all times, with the one exception being Colors. The Wisps simply being in most Sonic games doesn't necessarily mean they are standard.

In pretty much every game they are in, Sonic has to go out and find the Wisps. They are not in his default arsenal, and he can't just whip out a Wisp at any time necessary. It is completely and entirely reasonable to have a VS Match where he simply doesn't have any Wisps on him.

"Standard equipment" does not mean "he can use it in multiple games". It means it is something that he is expected to have on him at any time, and if he had a Wisp on him at any time he wouldn't need to actively go out and seek them.

Plus, Sonic Frontiers just further backs this point because the Wisps just straight up do not appear in Sonic Frontiers and he never has them on hand at any point. So saying that he always has Wisps on hand is wrong.

That should be simple enough.

TLDR: The definition of standard equipment is "He has this on him at all times", and Sonic very clearly does not have the Wisps on him at all times as he has to actively search for them before using them up. Him being with Wisps in his possession is not his default state, thus it shouldn't be considered for standard equipment no matter how many games the Wisps appear in.

In pretty much every game they are in, Sonic has to go out and find the Wisps. They are not in his default arsenal, and he can't just whip out a Wisp at any time necessary. It is completely and entirely reasonable to have a VS Match where he simply doesn't have any Wisps on him.
Deboonked by Runners
Dr. Eggman: I won't forget this, Sonic![Eggman leaves.]
Sonic: Bad luck, Eggman! You can keep trying as many times as you like, but nothing's gonna change!
Yellow Wisp: ※○△✕ ✕○△※
Tails: He's thanking you for saving the Yellow Wisps, Sonic!
Sonic: Hey, my pleasure! But we still need to figure out what we're gonna do with you guys...
Tails: Well, you remember that Yellow Wisp we spoke to earlier? He said they wanted to come with us on our adventure. How about we bring them along, Sonic?
Sonic: Why the heck not? The more the merrier!
Yellow Wisp: ※△○✕ ✕○※□
Tails: He says thanks, and they'll do whatever they can to help! I think we've found ourselves a useful new ally!
Dr. Eggman: Gnnngh! Two defeats in one day... Time to head home and rethink my tactics...[Eggman leaves.]
Sonic: More like time to stop trying to kidnap our pals! Get outta here! And stay gone! Now, time to ask those Wisps about that mysterious light...
Tails: No need, Sonic - I already checked. They said it was one of the other Cyan Wisps. And he's super-sorry for giving Ricky a fright... ...And because they don't want to frighten any more Animals, they'd like to come with us on our adventure! Sounds good to you, Sonic?
Sonic: It sure does! Welcome to the gang, little Wisps!
Cyan Wisp: ※△○✕ □○△✕
Dr. Eggman: I can't believe you put a stop to my beautiful Wisp-enslavement plan! No matter! On to the next fiendish scheme! I'll get you next time, Sonic![Eggman leaves.]
Sonic: Whatever, Eggbreath. I've heard it all before! Try me when you get some new material!
Tails: What are we going to do about these Indigo Wisps, Sonic?
Knuckles: I was thinking they could come along with us. What do you say?
Sonic: Sounds good to me! Now that Eggman's found their hiding place, maybe they'll be safer with us anyway...
Tails: I was thinking the same thing. So, guys - how about it?
Indigo Wisp: ※○✕✕ ○○※△!
Tails: They say they'd love to join us! Here's to the beginning of a beautiful friendship!
Frontiers is the exception. Sonic has no equipment in that game because he just on a unprompted roadtrip as seen in the third Tailstube.

I haven't played Sonic Run. Isn't it an endless runner? I don't think "they should come along with us on our adventure" means "Sonic always has them on him at all times in any game in the future.". That's an extrapolation.

In every other instance, Sonic has to find the Wisps to use them.

In Generations, the Wisps don't even appear outside of the Sonic Colors throwback iirc.

Lost World, Sonic has to find Wisps to use them.

Forces, I don't think he even has one of those Wisp guns that the rest of the resistance uses.

Frontiers, no equipment at all.

A single statement of "Yeah we should bring these Wisps along with us for this adventure" does not suffice for the criteria of "Has this on his person at any time."

He literally does. He uses the White Wisps for the boost.
That's not a Wisp gun. Sonic only uses the White Wisps in Forces and he doesn't even have them on person, once again. He needs to break them out of Wisp Capsules, that isn't "standard equipment" by any means.

Using Forces as evidence that he has every Wisp as standard equipment doesn't sit right.

Sonic doesn't use the other Wisps because he doesn't need to. In the partner stages he can even grab em together with the Avatar. Also the Wispons were made by Sonic's friends when he was in jail, it's not like he had the chance to use them (Plus Sonic doesn't use guns in character)

There's also the Sonic x Wisps Sonic Channel cover stories as well

This seems like a really poor debunk/attempt at a downgrade, you just have been asking evidence of games you didn't play instead of debunking anything

To the Wisps, Sonic is their “hero,” “comrade-in-arms,” and “best friend.”

He’s the hero who freed them from Eggman’s clutches, and they love him dearly, but he’s also their comrade-in-arms who fought with them against Eggman with their “color power”…

And after the battle, they are best friends, playing together when they meet and rushing to the aid of each other whenever something happens. They may not be able to communicate without a translator, but they can always communicate with each other in their hearts.

…They’re short of simply saying out loud that they love each other!

So, Wisps and Sonic have a very good heart-to-heart relationship.

The Wisps will continue to live happily and peacefully on their home planet and on Sonic’s planet, and will be of great help to Sonic and his friends when things get less peaceful.

Reactions: JED
Honestly, I agree with OP here.

The Wisp's, while a recurring piece of equipment, aren't quite common enough imo to be considered part of Sonic's Standard Equipment.

The running game is the only game as far as I know that brings up the idea of Sonic carrying Wisp's into stages. Any other time, Sonic has to pick them up to use them- And the likelyhood they would appear in a arena that Sonic would be in during a VS battle on here is very much unlikely. Giving Sonic the wisps would be like giving him Chao because he own's them across a few games, or giving him Caliburn because during a entire game, he has the sword with him. I would advise that Wisp's be moved to be it's own category for Sonic (something along the lines of With Wisps:).

That being said, I also kind of question having Chaos Emeralds on his Standard Equipment due to him losing them so often, but, that's for another thread.

This seems like a really poor debunk/attempt at a downgrade, you just have been asking evidence of games you didn't play instead of debunking anything
The main problem here is that your evidence doesn't mean much of anything really.

The panel for one thing does not prove that they are standard equipment. It says that they are comrades in arms and will be happy to assist Sonic during times of trouble.

The latter part could be taken to mean as standard equipment; but is far too vague on it's own to definitively say "He has Wisps on him at all times" when he demonstratively does not. In multiple occasions. It could very well just mean that they would assist if Sonic asks, which also doesn't mean standard equipment.

Sonic doesn't use the other Wisps because he doesn't need to. In the partner stages he can even grab em together with the Avatar. Also the Wispons were made by Sonic's friends when he was in jail, it's not like he had the chance to use them (Plus Sonic doesn't use guns in character)
One, he picks them up from the stages. Aka he does not have them by default. Aka they are not standard equipment.

Two, then we can't use Forces as evidence that Wisps are standard if he never uses them. It's not really on me to prove that the Wisps do not fit the qualifications for standard equipment, it's up to you to prove that they do.

The evidence that the Wisps are standard equipment and he has them on hand at any time is absolutely not sufficient, since more often than not he has to find the Wisps to use them rather than just having on his person at all times.

It can't just be half and half. For it to be standard equipment you need to prove that Sonic has the Wisps on him by default most of the time.

Since right now you just have Colors, Lost World (does not have them by default and has to find them to store them) and Runners (also does not have them by default and has to save them to use them).

Instances of Sonic just not using the Wisps are Generations (doesn't have them by default, only appear in specific stages), Forces (does not use any Wisps except for the white wisps, doesn't have them on his person by default), Frontiers (does not use any Wisps period)

So you have three cases of Sonic using Wisps throughout most of the game, two of them he doesn't have them on his person by default and still has to search for them and he never carries Wisps over to the next game.

That is not enough to prove that he has them under his belt at all times.

Back