• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Squall Leonhart possible abilities and magic additions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was playing Final Fantasy 8 a while ago and it got me thinking about Squall's profile on here and thought it could use a solid update. Currently his powers/abilites read as follows:

Superhuman Physical Characteristics, Non-Physical Interaction, Master Gunswordsmanship, Magic, Can draw magic from foes, Summoning, Energy Blasts, Elemental Manipulation (Of the Fire, Ice, Lightning, Water Manipulation, Water, Wind and Earth variety), Barrier Creation, Levitatio, Telekinesis (Able to call down meteors), Petrification, Poison Manipulation, Time Manipulation (In the variety of speeding himself up and slowing down/stopping his targets), Gravity Manipulation, Status Effect Inducement, One Hit Kill (Via Doom)

Not a bad skill set of powers but when you look further into the game, their should be far more to his abilites then what is currently listed. His summons or Gaurdian Forces also in this game also give him access to more magic spells and various resistances, as well as effect his stats. Furthermore we also need to dive more into the abilities of "Drawing" and "Junctioning" and what these do, and how it should translate onto his profile. Without further ado, let's begin.

Gaurdian Forces:

Let's start off with Gaurdian Forces and the powers that come from them. Squall has the spell "Doom" listed on his profile here as his One Hit Kill. This spell comes from the Ice based Guardian Force known as Shiva. Shiva is one of two Gaurdian Forces Squall has at the start of the game. The other is "Quezacotl" a lightning based Gaurdian Force who gives Squall the ability called "Card", this spell allows him to turn enemies into Triple Triad cards which counts as a form of Transmutation. Gaurdian Forces in general have a direct affect on your stats and are related to a characters' growth, which is what the "Junction" system is meant to represent when Squall and co Junction Gaurdian Forces. In other words Junctioning Gaurdian Forces could count as a form of Statistics Amplification due to the fact that the directly increase a characters' growth in Power, Speed, Defense, Etc. Gaurdian Forces also give various resistances to certain magic and effects depending on who you have Junctioned meaning Squall should also have Resistance to Status Effect Inducements via Junction.

The Brothers' Gaurdian Force isn't listed as one of his Gaurdian Forces under Notable Attacks/Techniques but they are tied directly to Squall's Lifting Strength, so it's only fair that we put the abilities gained from being Junctioned to them. One of those abilities is te spell "Defend" which grants Immunity to Physical Attacks and halves the damage of Magic.

Lastly we have "Eden" Squall's Gaurdian Force that gives him his 3-C rating. This Gaurdian Force has previous abilities as the ones above but also Grants the person junctioned to it a skill called "Devour" according to the offical description in Final Fantasy 8 this ability reads as "Devour Monsters" this allows the user swallows a weakened opponent whole, treating them as being removed from the battle, and sometimes granting the eater some sort of benefit. This falls under the description of Biological Absorption. Hi Lastly before we end the section of Gaurdian Forces Eden's notable attack is called "Eternal Breath" the attack warps the target to a different dimension and causes space itself to fold as Eden targets the opponent. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRtzPeuIoik this should give Squall Spactial Manipulation. That's all for Gaurdian Forces for now, their are a total of 27 Gaurdian Forces within the game but since those were the only ones on his profile here, I decided to just stick with those for now and discuss possibly adding his other Gaurdian Forces later in another CRT.

Summary: Summons play a pivitale role in Final Fantasy 8 way more so than any other Final Fantasy game. They are directly responsible for leveling up and giving power ups to your stats. Gaurdian Forces are also Elemental based which when junctioned they will naturally give squall resistance based upon the element of the Gaurdian Force, based upon those things alone. Junctioning Gaurdian Forces should give Squall Statistics Amplification as well as Resistance to Status Effect Inducment. Gaurdian Forces also give Squall various magic, which in turn count under certain poweres and abilities detailed on this thread, I will list the following powers he gains from being Junctioned to Gaurdian Forces: Transmutation-via the spell "Card" (Can turn opponents into Triple Triad Cards) this spell comes from "Quezacotl". Immunity to Physical Attacks and halves the damage of Magic-via the spell "Defend", this comes from The Brothers Gaurdian Force. Biological Absorption-via the spell "Devour" (Allows the user swallows a weakened opponent whole, treating them as being removed from the battle, and sometimes granting the eater some sort of benefit.) This spell comes from from "Eden". Spactial Manipulation-via Eden's Eternal Breath Attack (Warps the target to a different dimension and causes space itself to fold as Eden targets the opponent.)

Magic:

Let's move on to Magic, this one is realitvely short. As brought up in a previous revision thread almost one year ago (https://vsbattles.com/vsbattles/1495366). FF8 uses what's called "Para-Magic" this is a type of Magic that can be used by ordinary humans, according to the description found in the tutorial:

Magic used by ordinary people is actually "para-magic." In essence, it is a technique which involves controlling energy. That description comes directly from the tutorial of the game. Everyone in Final Fantasy 8 should in turn have Energy Manipulation listed on thier profiles since they are literally manipulating energy to copy magic spells.

Summary: Magic in Final Fantasy 8 should be listed as Energy Manipulation due to the tutorial of the game stating the difference between Magic used by Normal Humans and sorceresses such as Ultimecia and Rinoa.

Drawing:

One of his most important skills is the ability to siphon magic away from his foes and can do one of two things with them, Stock them, or Cast Them. Casting is quite simple being able to cast the very magic that was Drawn and use it instead. Stocking is simply just reserving the magic drawn and saving it for a later time, while cast is using said abilities that were siphoned. While this ability is listed on his profile it's not highlighted or clarified upon, so to make things more clear. Drawing should explained as Power Absorbtion and Power Mimicry

Summary: Drawing is basically is literally described as siphoning magic from enemies and either using it out right in combat or save it for Junctioning. Basically Power Absorbtion and Power Mimicry combined into one technique when you draw the ability away and use that ability out right in casting.

Magic Attacks:

In regards to Magic, I'm not exactly sure what the rules are when applied to Final Fantasy characters' magic capabilites but I'm just going to add this video here which demonstrates all learnable magic in Final Fantasy 8 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLpkC8vStCk (Tried to use the video link but it wouldn't work for some reason. Anyway this showcases all available and learnable magic in Final Fantasy 8. So I request that spells showcased in the video would be added to his profile under his noteworthy magic such as Fiagra, Blizzaga, Thundaga, Aeroga, Esuna, Cure, Regen, Death, Demi, Aura, Silence, Sleep, Scan, Shell, Reflect, Bio, Pain, Stop, Meteor, Meltdown, Holy, Ultima, and Apocolypse.

These spells would also give him the following abilities to list: Power Nullifcation via Silence, Sleep Manipulation via Sleep, Resistance to Sleep Manipulation via Junction, Death Manipulation via Death Spell, Resistance to Death Manipulation via Junction, Healing via Cure and Regen, Holy Manipulation via Holy, Information Analysis via Scan, Attack Reflection via Reflect, Statistics Reduction via Meltdown, and Can Bypass Convintenial Durability with Demi.

Junctio:

Summary: Junctioning is the other important aspect when it comes to FF8's combat. It allows the Junctioner to increase statistics based upon Gaurdian Forces one has at their disposel. Junctioning magic is another way The Final Fantasy 8 cast can Resist Status Effects Inducments and powers. Junctioning can Augment natural resistance even further and depending on how much you juntion magic. In some cases you can become immune to certain attacks and effects as demonstrated by the video displaying all notable magic in Final Fantasy 8 that I posted earlier in the discussion thread.

In conclusion I'm requesting that the following abilities be added to Squall's profile: Transmutation, Resistance to Transmutation via Junction, Statistics Amplification via Junctioning to Gaurdian Force and various magic spells, Resistance to Status Effect Inducement via Junction, Immunity to physical attacks and reducing magical damage via "Defend", Biological Aborption via Devour, Energy Manipulation, Power Absobtion and Power Mimicry (Drawing and Casting Magic falls under both of these desciptions), Spactial Manipulation, Power Nullifcation via "Silence", Sleep Manipulation via "Sleep", Death Manipulation via "Death", Resistance to Death Manipulation (Can Junction the spell Death to increase resistance) and Healing and Regenerationn via "Curaga" and "Regen", Holy Manipulation via "Holy", Resistance to Holy Manipulation (Can Junction the Holy Spell), Statistics Reduction via Meltdown, Can bypass Convential Durability with Demi, Attack Reflection via "Reflect" and Information Analysis via "Scan". I also request that "Drawing and Junctioning "be added to his notable attacks under a proper description. Here is an example given by user "Friendlysociopath" in his Content Revision Thread.

Draw and Stock/Cast: Squall can absorb the energy from an opponent to recreate their abilities. He can use this absorbed energy offensively to use the same ability on an opponent or he can Junction it to become resistant/immune/strengthened by it.

Junction: Able to increase his statistics from Gaurdian Forces and grant himself resistance/immunity/strength to effects of magic and energy.

Here are also Magic Spells that should be under his profile under notable techniques-Magic, with proper descriptions for each spell.

Blizzaga: Summons a massive ice meteor and throws it at a foe dealing heavy ice damage

Thundaga: Strikes the foe with a barrage of lightning bolts dealing heavy lightning damage.

Aeroga: Summons a burst of wind around the foe then strikes the foe to deal heavy wind damage

Esuna: Removes Harmful status effects.

Curaga: Can restore a large amount of his HP.

Regen: Squall can grant himself or others Regenerationn.

Death: Squall summons a reaper from a small void, and the reaper strikes the foe with its scythe, instantly killing them unless they are able to dodge it or have reisistant or immunity to instant death attacks.

Demi: Crushes the foe in an orb of gravity and reduces their HP by half.

Aura: A spell that allows Squall to access his Limit Break state freely.

Silence: Prevents the foe from casting spells.

Sleep: Puts the foe to sleep.

Scan: Scans the foe revealing the target's weaknesses, HP, and level.

Shell: Creates a barrier that increases magic defense

Reflect: Generates a barrier that reflects Magic Attacks

Bio: Strikes the foe with many poison orbs dealing poison damage and inflicting poison status ailigment.

Pai: Prevents the foe from attacking

Stop: Stops time for an enemy.

Card: Squall can transmutate his enemies and turn them into Triple Triad Cards, leaving them defenseless.

Meteor: Squall transports the foe to another dimension and causes them to get bombarded with meteors for a brief period of time.

Meltdown: Shoots a powerful wave of scorching air dealing fire and wind damage, and reduces the foe's defense.

Holy: Squall bombards the foe with a barrage of light orbs deals heavy light damage

Ultima: Squall draws in large amounts of magical energy and unleashes in a massive explosion upon the enemy, dealing massive nonelemental damage.

Apocolypse: Drawn from the sorceress Ultimecia. It is the single mightiest offensive spell, creating magical sigils that erupt in a catastrophic burst of light, dealing twice the damage of Ultima, which was thought to be the strongest spell by most magic users.

For more detailed explinations in regards to my justification what I went over and visit the Final Fantasy wiki to learn more (https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Guardian_Force#Junctionable, https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Junctio, https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Draw_(Final_Fantasy_VIII)#Mechanics) If I make many mistakes or violate anything please forgive me as this is my first Content Revision Thread. Thanks for reading and have a good one.

Agree:(3) Blackcurrant91, Dark649, CrimsonStarFallen

Disagree:

I highly agree with these changes, I've put at least 200 hours into the game as well. He should have 'resistance to Status Effect Inducement via junctioning' 'death manipulation (via Death spell) and resistance to it by junctioning' he can junction 100 dooms or deaths to get 100% resistance to it and it's not included in Status effect inducement. Holy Manipulation and resistance? He should have 'power Nullification ' (via 'silence') and resistance to it. What about 'attack Reflection with 'Reflect'?' There is probably way more.

He could have Durability negation (via Demi, does fixed amount of damage to an enemy) and Meltdown (makes his enemies defense stat 1) basically makes his strikes do more damage.and Death spell.

Very minor correction as well, it's Eden that provides the ability 'mad rush' not ifrit, you pretty much don't get it till the end of the game.

Blackcurrant91 said:
I highly agree with these changes, I've put at least 200 hours into the game as well. He should have 'resistance to Status Effect Inducement via junctioning' 'death manipulation (via Death spell) and resistance to it by junctioning' he can junction 100 dooms or deaths to get 100% resistance to it and it's not included in Status effect inducement. Holy Manipulation and resistance? He should have 'power Nullification ' (via 'silence') and resistance to it. What about 'attack Reflection with 'Reflect'?' There is probably way more.
He could have Durability negation (via Demi, does fixed amount of damage to an enemy) and Meltdown (makes his enemies defense stat 1) basically makes his strikes do more damage.and Death spell.

Very minor correction as well, it's Eden that provides the ability 'mad rush' not ifrit, you pretty much don't get it till the end of the game.
Really? Huh, I could have sworn it was Ifrit who gave Mad Rush. Well thanks anyway, I could also see him having those abilities as well. but will definetly have to chat with the knowledgeable members of Final Fantasy to see what might happen in regards to the magic video I posted.

You have to visit their message walls, be polite, and link to this thread.

Preferably focus on any staff members.

Yeah I noticed that too, there are alot of things the FF8 profiles are missing.

Another interesting thing you can do with junctioning system is junction deaths to your status attack to give your attacks a change to instantly kill the target.

Blackcurrant91 said:
Another interesting thing you can do with junctioning system is junction deaths to your status attack to give your attacks a change to instantly kill the target.
Attacks as in your normal attacks?

Can you write a summary of your points?

I think basically Bware wants to add the draw system and junction system to squalls profile. This would give squall and potentially other characters in ff8 resistances and ignoring durability.

The draw system basically gives them power absorption/copying. There are a few other examples OP wants to add. I was thinking of doing a full CRT for the junction system for ff8 characters.

Antvasima said:
Can you write a summary of your points?
Yeah, I'll be sure to write a summary as well as clean this up to make it easier to understand.

Antvasima said:
Okay. Thanks.
The edits and summaries have been added. Also I saw that you were listed as a knowledgeable member. May I have your opinon on this?

Your first post is too long and messy for me to have the time to read it. If you write a summary I can try to help out.

Transmutation, Resistance to Transmutation via Junction, Statistics Amplification via Junctioning to Guardian Force and various magic spells, Resistance to Status Effect Inducement via Junction, Immunity to physical attacks and reducing magical damage via "Defend", Biological Aborption via Devour, Energy Manipulation, Power Absobtion and Power Mimicry (Drawing and Casting Magic falls under both of these desciptions),

Space-Time Manipulation, Power Nullifcation via "Silence", Sleep Manipulation via "Sleep", Death Manipulation via "Death", Resistance to Death Manipulation (Can Junction the spell Death to increase resistance) and Healing and Regenerationn via "Curaga" and "Regen", Holy Manipulation via "Holy",

Resistance to Holy Manipulation (Can Junction the Holy Spell),
Durability Negation via Meltdown, Can bypass Convential Durability with Demi, Attack Reflection via "Reflect" and Information Analysis via "Scan"

Transmutation (via Card ability) I'm not to sure how you can junction to resist transmutation, can you clarify Bware?

Statistics amplification (via junctioning spells to his Guardian Forces and various spells)

Resistance to Status effect inducement (via junctioning appropriate spells to his Guardian Forces, this includes Death Manipulationand Holy Manipulation)

Side note death resistance works on a 3-C scale due to resisting level 5 death from Omeaga Weapo

Invulnerability (via Defend ability. Provides immunity to next physical attack recieved. 50% magic DR as well)

Biological Absorption (via Devour ability)

Energy Manipulation (can manipulate energy to replicate various spells normally only available naturally to sorceress)

Power Absorption (via Draw) on a side note here this works on a 2-C scale as you are able to draw spells from Ultimecia

Spacial Manipulation (via Eden, folds space to put the enemy in range of it's attack)

Power Nullification (via Silence)

(sleep manipulation is included in status effect inducement which is already on his profile)

Healing

Durability Negation (via junctioning Death to his physical strikes he can give his blows a chance to instantly kill the target. Meltdown, Demi)

Information Analysis (via Scan)

Attack Reflection (via Reflect) this scales to 3-C due to reflecting spells from Ultemecia

Under Noteable Abilities

Draw and Stock/Cast: Squall can absorb the energy from an opponent to recreate their magical abilities. He can use this absorbed energy offensively to use the same ability on an opponent or he can Junction it to become resistant/immune/strengthened by it.

Junction: Able to increase his statistics from Gaurdian Forces and grant himself resistance/immunity/strength to effects of magic and energy.

https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Magic_(Final_Fantasy_VIII) as a list of his spells and their effects, I don't think they need to be listed individually as they are relativley the same across the series.

Also and this one is important to me, under Weaknesses can we remove 'Squall must be hard pressed to use his limit break' this just isn't true as he has access to a spell that lets him use it whenever he wants.

This is probably really messy and I tried to keep it as short as possible sorry.

Blackcurrant91 said:
Transmutation (via Card ability) I'm not to sure how you can junction to resist transmutation, can you clarify Bware?
Statistics amplification (via junctioning spells to his Guardian Forces and various spells)

Resistance to Status effect inducement (via junctioning appropriate spells to his Guardian Forces, this includes Death Manipulationand Holy Manipulation)

Side note death resistance works on a 3-C scale due to resisting level 5 death from Omeaga Weapo

Invulnerability (via Defend ability. Provides immunity to next physical attack recieved. 50% magic DR as well)

Biological Absorption (via Devour ability)

Energy Manipulation (can manipulate energy to replicate various spells normally only available naturally to sorceress)

Power Absorption (via Draw) on a side note here this works on a 2-C scale as you are able to draw spells from Ultimecia

Spacial Manipulation (via Eden, folds space to put the enemy in range of it's attack)

Power Nullification (via Silence)

(sleep manipulation is included in status effect inducement which is already on his profile)

Healing

Durability Negation (via junctioning Death to his physical strikes he can give his blows a chance to instantly kill the target. Meltdown, Demi)

Information Analysis (via Scan)

Attack Reflection (via Reflect) this scales to 3-C due to reflecting spells from Ultemecia

Under Noteable Abilities

Draw and Stock/Cast: Squall can absorb the energy from an opponent to recreate their magical abilities. He can use this absorbed energy offensively to use the same ability on an opponent or he can Junction it to become resistant/immune/strengthened by it.

https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Magic_(Final_Fantasy_VIII) as a list of his spells and their effects, I don't think they need to be listed individually as they are relativley the same across the series.

Also and this one is important to me, under Weaknesses can we remove 'Squall must be hard pressed to use his limit break' this just isn't true as he has access to a spell that lets him use it whenever he wants.

This is probably really messy and I tried to keep it as short as possible sorry.
I don't think the weakness of being hard pressed to use Limit Breaks should be removed out right, just stated that he can bypass it. That spell can be found under Noteworthy magic I have listed. Also I had assumed that juntioning that spell would give him resistance to transmutation but I went into the game to test it and it appears I was wrong. Also slight correction Ultimecia is Low 2-C not 2-C so more so on a Universal+ scale not Low Multiversal. Also Thanks for the help man, I appreciate it.

You can also add the abilities used directly by the GFs. Kinda like, "Smite via Odin's Zantetsuken". Perhaps, Confuse could qualify as Mind Manipulation, given while not complex or refined, it still messes up the mind of the target.

I'd add a couple of things regarding the Silence Status, I can't recall well in FFVIII but in other installments it disables any ability that require the use of your voice, speech or chanting, such as Summoning, Singing, Prayers, Speechcraft, etc.

Meltdown would work as Statistics Reduction given it reduces Vitality to 0, which could translate into messing the opponent's physical defenses.

Well Squall does have a total of 16 different Gaurdian Forces, only 5 of which are on his profile here. Ifrit, Shiva, Quezacotl, The Brother's and Eden. If we add Oden then we'd have to add all the others which I'm ok with but we'll see what the others think of it. Also if it messes or even reduces the opponents defenses wouldn't that be more Durability Negation since it's really just focusing on the opponents defense rather than reducing all stats?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back