• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Star Wars Discussion Thread Canon/Legends- Episode V Attack of the Fanons

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Jedi of the prequels were already beginning to grow weary of the Senate's corruption, but the Civil War really pushed them over the edge. In Legends, at least, they even stopped listening to The Force to an extent.

That's exactly the type of thing Qui-Gon was against, so it's telling that his relationship with the council was distant.

The Jedi of the prequels were already beginning to grow weary of the Senate's corruption, but the Civil War really pushed them over the edge. In Legends, at least, they even stopped listening to The Force to an extent.

That's exactly the type of thing Qui-Gon was against, so it's telling that his relationship with the council was distant.
That Kanan video I linked above really explains how well Kanan did as an "ideal Jedi" during the Imperial Era. That shit was what Qui-Gon was talking about. He would have been proud of Kanan.

They definitely had more holistic views on the Force than most other Jedi (or at least Kanan did after his blindness).

everytime i watch this, i feel like grievous wasn't really bad. (sure he was evil in the end) but at the beginning he just wanted to stop the huk from enslaving worlds, even if it meant wiping them it.

If only the jedi knew what was actually happening (but then again we're the writers so we have to make this happen in order to ensure what happens later aka the clone wars etc)

everytime i watch this, i feel like grievous wasn't really bad. (sure he was evil in the end) but at the beginning he just wanted to stop the huk from enslaving worlds, even if it meant wiping them it.

If only the jedi knew what was actually happening (but then again we're the writers so we have to make this happen in order to ensure what happens later aka the clone wars etc)

Grevious had so much potential as a villain. Not only was he really scary in his first 2003 appearance (which I wish was true for TCW as well), but the lore behind him joining the separatists was really well done imo.

Too bad his moment of glory was just that, a moment. He went downhill starting in ROTS imo.

Grevious had so much potential as a villain. Not only was he really scary in his first 2003 appearance (which I wish was true for TCW as well), but the lore behind him joining the separatists was really well done imo.

Too bad his moment of glory was just that, a moment. He went downhill starting in ROTS imo.

i like legends grievous over canon. i take legends over canon anytime. it had so much lore. (except the yuzhan vong, i heard that stuff made people distrust the jedi. and too bad lukes descendent cut himself from the force by taking deathsticks)

I am the law. I am the ******* Senate actually.

tenor.gif

Legends Grievous is an absolute ******* monster. Considering his only Ls that I can remember are against Obi-Wan, Mace and Dooku (in a sparring match), that's not that bad of a Loss Record.
Grievous in the Clone Wars Multimedia Project was like the Lord Nyax of the prequels. Such a shame that TCW ruined what made him great.

Grievous' confrontations with other Jedi were like the Vong Slayers' first confrontation with Jedi. His unorthodox methods of fighting, prior knowledge (via Dooku) and analytical power gave him an edge against anyone. He straight up analyzed the most unpredictable lightsaber style mid-fight against Mace while using Makashi-if that's not a sigma male grindset, I don't know what is.

Rey actually does struggle with some things, I wouldn't call her quite Mary Sue category. Also, even if she was; I personally think Mary Sue characters are overhated but that's just me I guess.

I feel it would have made more sense if she just beat up Kylo at the end without displaying any high-level force powers.

I don't really care that much, but still.

I meant TFA. That's why I said it made sense for her to beat up Kylo. The high-level Force stuff was referring to telepathy.

Also, she didn't get around to reading them, IIRC, and was defeated by Kylo due to being weakened. But that doesn't really matter because she'd already grown to his level in the last movie, so it makes sense.

the issue is Mary Sue's are not characters that are overpowered they are self-inserts where the story bends around the character to Justify them.

you can have a character that has no character development and is the strongest person in the series and they would still not be a Mary/Gary Stu.

In any case, I don't care much about How strong Rey is or isn't because her story has very little to do with her strength and entirely on finding her place in the galaxy, the same thing with Anakin even though we know he has trained we never see it on screen because Anakin's training has nothing to do with her his story, in contrast, Luke story from the get-go was becoming a Jedi like his father and at the time we had no idea what Jedi even did so it was far more important to have those moments to explain the force and establish a baseline, even then it barely lasted a short montage.

also, the force is very much a soft magic system so ehhhh

I meant TFA. That's why I said it made sense for her to beat up Kylo. The high-level Force stuff was referring to telepathy.

Also, she didn't get around to reading them, IIRC, and was defeated by Kylo due to being weakened. But that doesn't really matter because she'd already grown to his level in the last movie, so it makes sense.
Oh ok I understand, although I'm pretty sure she did read some of them, that's how they knew about exegol right?

I'm not saying I disagree with general issues with Mary Sue/Gary Stu protagonists, only that I dislike modern society and certain political people and how excessive they are at hating them. I don't have problems with characters who are basically a female Jesus in a lot of ways, and agree it's more or less the self insertive aspect that's really the issue. But I think for the most part, people who rant about Mary Sue type characters are worse than the characters themselves. And people hating on Mary Sue and Gary Stu equally have some reasonable bearing; though people who hate one one and not the other come off as hypocritical and for lack of better words, sexist.

Anyway, I don't particularly consider Rey a great character, but I just think she's alright. Luke is clearly a much more classic protagonist who's story has a lot more originality. My problems with Rey come less from "Mary Sue debates" and more so her lack of originality compared to Luke as well as less execution.

I think I just kickstarted a massive rant about Mary Sues/Gary Stues with my Comment about not liking the movie. I don't like the movie purely for two reasons.

1: I don't like the fact that the First Order is a bunch of Incompetent Dumbasses that can't even tell which way is up apparently.

2: I really don't like that Palpatine was just brought back out of the blue the way he did just to get killed the way he did, which I'm still not sure why he didn't just stop using ******* Force Lightning so he didn't kill himself and i really don't know why he wasn't allowed to possess Ray after he died which was his ******* plan since she did technically kill him.

Yeah, Snoke was a really weak villain and even the rest of the First Order for that matter. And the way Darth Sidious just came back out of the blue was poorly executed; I know that happens in the ESU, but at least that had a lot more depth to it so it made perfect sense in that setting.

Yeah, Snoke was a really weak villain and even the rest of the First Order for that matter. And the way Darth Sidious just came back out of the blue was poorly executed; I know that happens in the ESU, but at least that had a lot more depth to it so it made perfect sense in that setting.
Exactly!

Grievous' confrontations with other Jedi were like the Vong Slayers' first confrontation with Jedi. His unorthodox methods of fighting, prior knowledge (via Dooku) and analytical power gave him an edge against anyone.
Also Maul physically overpowers Grievous in Son of Dathomir which is probably one of the best aug feats in the clone Wwars

Btw were you aware of this?

Do you buy into the whole Kylo > RotJ Sidious and Vader for sequel wank?

Btw were you aware of this?
If I'm not mistaken, Beni had this source on his Savage respect thread too. It's not used often because of the whole flowery language/logical reach points against it. It was used as a way to wank Ventress and Dooku for withstanding that power. But still, you can use other things to wank Ventress and Dooku to a similar state.
Do you buy into the whole Kylo > RotJ Sidious and Vader for sequel wank?
It's not buying when it's the 100% honest truth lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back