• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Super Smash Discussion 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
It still has its own sort of canon. It's just that the origin is "toys brought to life" as opposed to "the original characters pulled from their universes" or something to that effect.

Azathoth the Abyssal Idiot said:
Yeah, Sakurai did kinda confirm that lorewise, everyone was originally a toy before they were a Smash fighter.
So, for example, Palutena saying that BotW Link is from another world is a contradiction, a lie made on purpose for higher forces, or something that fits in the canon in an unknown/weird way (like everyone being from the same universe)?

@Eficiente

I'd assume it to most likely be something they didn't expect us to think that deep into, so you could probably make some sort of argument or theory for any of those options.

If he made the statment from before BotW Link was added then that might have something to do with why he could reflect Galeem's blasts.

I haven't seen the quote myself, but even if it exists, I'm pretty sure it was metaphorical and not literal.

So, if characters that aren't fighters get turned into spirits and lose their physical forms, wouldn't that mean that spirits like "Luigi (Tennis Outfit)" would have had a physical form too? In other words, wouldn't we have to accept that there are two Luigi's in Smash Bros if we were to also accept that before "Luigi (Tennis Outfit)" had a physical form before becoming a spirit?

We have Spirits for things that are nowhere near living beings, spirits for characters already dead, one spirit for many beings, many spirits for one person, etc. I think it's pretty clear that spirits aren't just "Kill a living being to get a corresponding spirit".

Saikou The Lewd King said:
We have Spirits for things that are nowhere near living beings, spirits for characters already dead, one spirit for many beings, many spirits for one person, etc. I think it's pretty clear that spirits aren't just "Kill a living being to get a corresponding spirit".
I didn't say anything about killing though. Things that are nowhere near living beings still have physical forms that they've lost.

I do find it kinda funny how Sakurai thought Palutena of all people had a chance of escaping over anyone else in the cast. And that's counting Sonic, Mewtwo, Meta Knight, Ridley, Ganondorf, etc.

Apparently everyone's teleportation is just "short-distance" and being FTL is only for vehicles.

How does that help anyone trying to dodge it? If there is no room to move out of the way, being fast won't do anything.

Escape where? If you escape something, you must go somewhere where it isn't. And no place in the world fits that description, given that it reached even other universes.

It was definitely affecting parallel universes but it still took time to consume the fighters. You're telling me it reached an alternate universe before it tagged everyone after Bayonetta? Doesn't make much sense to me.

My point: I don't think reaching an alternate universe means you therefore automatically cover every single point in the current universe you're in.

I think it's more like "Bayo escaping to Purgatorio wouldn't have done anything since people there got killed too" rather than Bayo being killed while she was in Purgatorio.

My point is that I don't think the statement indicates that Galeem's attack reached any alternate universes. It's just that he didn't think it would make sense for Bayo and Palu to be able to escape since Galeem had already killed comparable beings. Partially because in that same video, Sakurai only mentions that the lasers consumed the entire galaxy.

We see that plenty of characters from other verses are consumed, not just the fighters, while they're still in what seems to be the original Smash world. So who's to say that the beings Sakurai referred to weren't there as well? After all Sakurai said that Galeem killed Bayo's enemies FROM Purgatorio, not IN Purgatorio.

Just because they exist in alternate dimensions within their respected canons doesn't automatically mean they were within those dimensions when Galeem attacked. Giratina is from an alternate dimension within Pokemon and he clearly wasn't there when he was in Smash 4.

ArbitraryNumbers said:
My point is that I don't think the statement indicates that Galeem's attack reached any alternate universes. It's just that he didn't think it would make sense for Bayo and Palu to be able to escape since Galeem had already killed comparable beings. Partially because in that same video, Sakurai only mentions that the lasers consumed the entire galaxy.
We see that plenty of characters from other verses are consumed, not just the fighters, while they're still in what seems to be the original Smash world. So who's to say that the beings Sakurai referred to weren't there as well? After all Sakurai said that Galeem killed Bayo's enemies FROM Purgatorio, not IN Purgatorio.

Just because they exist in alternate dimensions within their respected canons doesn't automatically mean they were within those dimensions when Galeem attacked. Giratina is from an alternate dimension within Pokemon and he clearly wasn't there when he was in Smash 4.
But if the enemies from Purgatorio we're killed in the Smash universe and Galeem's attack never reached other realms, then why wouldn't it make sense for Bayonetta escape then? The attack wouldn't have gotten near her if she traveled to a realm where the attack wasn't coming towards, so it doesn't make sense for her NOT to escape.

"That said, Bayonetta's enemies from Purgatorio (a hellish other world) were turned into Spirits, so it wouldn't have made sense for her to escape."

Why would he tell us that it wouldn't have made sense for her to escape after talking about Bayo's enemies from Purgatorio being turned into spirits? I think it makes much more sense that he meant that Galeem's attack traversed through Purgatorio, and affecting beings from Purgatorio.

Also, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPPlDmOVnVs Not sure, if this spoils anything, but timestamp 2:11, it doesn't say that ONLY the galaxy was affected by the attack.

Bowser could've escaped if he wasn't a dumbohead.

I can see people like Ganon thinking of actually using their more useful abilities, but if Bayo couldn't even escape in Purgatorio, then fat chance of that happening.

Also, 2-A Smash when? I meed it now. I also sympathize with Cal as I've been waiting for an Infinite Pokéverse for a while now. It's just one goddang word, Game Freak.

I just realized something that might spark hope in people who still want to see characters like Shadow or Shovel Knight or even Waluigi in Smash. I was looking through the Assist Trophy page, and it reminded me that before SSBU, Isabelle was an Assist Trophy in SSB4, one that threw fruit at people and healed them.

So, if she could eventually become a fighter, then why not the others, especially with the 5 DLC slots still available? Just thought it was worth mentioning.

The problem is that the characters you mentioned are Assist Trophies in the very game you imply they might be playable in. And this never happened in the past. DLCs aren't a "new" game, it just adds to the already existing one.

There is only hope for them in a future game.

Very likely so. Then again, Sakurai is known for throwing curveballs at everyone in terms of his big reveals for his games, so it can't be totally ruled out either.

I'm with Starter on this. I think it's unlikely that any of the Assist Trophy characters will end up as playable ones, but I don't think it's too much of a stretch to say that Sakurai might break another rule, let alone one that I don't recall Sakurai ever stating to begin with.

It's less a stated rule and more like the sheer logic of having a character in two major roles at the same time. Especially as a fighter in both roles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back