• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
I've never played a FE game and as such don't care for it's characters (Although I plan on getting 3 Houses soon), but god damn HOES MAD! Byleth looks really fun, especially the whipping stuff.

"Nobody wanted Byleth though and they don't even bring anything unique to Smash."

You can apparently speak for everyone on the damn planet.

"No cool time mechanics like Geras in MK11, or anything like that. People shit on Corrin, but at least Corrin brought some new stuff to the table."

Did you like, not watch the trailer?

"but wouldn't he know that there's already an overinflation of swordsmen?"

tbh the whole "swordsman" arguement is inflated as only like 15-16 characters in the entire roster of 80 characters are sword users. Plus, Byleth uses a bow, axe and lance so....

Dragonmasterxyz said:
For those who want to ignore the toxic chaos, stay off of Twitter. I know I will lol
When is Twitter ever not toxic? When it comes to the Smash community it's hard to please everyone, especially when it's the ones who get their hopes to high

Asking out of ignorance here, but how well does Byleth represent mechanics from their game in their moveset? The fact they use several weapons and all that makes it seem they followed on the gameplay of FE.

Well, Byleth can be made into basically anything, but he's mainly a sword figher. However, you can train Byleth in any weapon style you want. And yeah, your characters can carry multiple weapons at a time. Now the specific weapon he's using aren't his canon weapons (they belong to Edelgard, Claude and Dimitri). But overall, pretty accurate.

Byleth's playstyle does seem unique & interesting. But I'm not as keen on the character or franchise itself. Also, this DLC not being a 3rd Party makes it more eh. So yeah, I'm a bit disappointed.

Not a horrible presentation, by no means, but the outcome isn't something I'm pleased with.

Dragonmasterxyz said:
Well, Byleth can be made into basically anything, but he's mainly a sword figher. However, you can train Byleth in any weapon style you want. And yeah, your characters can carry multiple weapons at a time. Now the specific weapon he's using aren't his canon weapons (they belong to Edelgard, Claude and Dimitri). But overall, pretty accurate.
That's a good angle to cover if it comes to base Byleth on elements of his home game, using the iconic weapons of other important characters also works as nods or representaiton of the story, especially for those who played Three Houses (and I swear I read Edelgard as Edgelord the first time >_>;). That's what's cool since the DLCs from Smash 4, most new fighters try to integrate something from their original games into their moveset.

I seriously really fricking agree with Dragon here, and the whole direct reaction and Max reaction about Byleth (i reallu like him but man....his reaction is something i dislike a most) make my dislike to smash community still stand...or even higher to say

I think the issue is Fire Emblem being not that mainstream, so it getting too many reps to the point of being the third series with the highest number of playable cast in the game is easy to think about (even if negatively...).

The best way to put the complaint is like when you focus too much in an area that doesn't please as many than if you just covered something else instead, which I'm sure is the case here, as not many feel like they got fanservice with yet more FE on the table, even if of high quality and all.

Well, from what I get, FE never lost its big mainstream status in Japan despite its slump before Awakening, but it didn't start to take full swing until then in the west. I think that's also a factor on why it gets attention as well, but isn't quite seen as mainstream over here.

I think Mario and Pokemon get a pass because Mario is the mascot franchise of Nintendo and the second best selling one, while Pokémon is their best selling one by a large margin, both being worldwide juggernauts. So it's perceived as normal they get attention (IMHO Mario being the mascot warrants the attention it gets), so I don't really think is really a fair comparison in a sense. Which ties in what you say, FE is perceived as niche despite actually being very very popular nowadays, so it raises eyebrows for some the attention it gets, despite the inclusion of Byleth making a lot of sense. Just my two cents on the matter though.

tbh, I know that competitive play is the least of Nintendo's concerns, but Byleth looks so bad. A basically unusable projectile, a slower falcon punch, low speed and awful looking frame data.

At first my disappointment at their reveal was immeasurable but Byleth is growing on me a bit. Also a bit of a hot take but they had the best reveal trailer imo, it was funny, well animated, and a bit self aware.

Back