• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Bright side to Byleth being in Smash. We get the Three Houses "I have something to ask of you" Seteth memes invading Smash in which is a win-win for everyone.

I don't mind either way but its funny how FE has more reps in Smash than Metroid and Kirby combined, that said I appreciate the self-aware humour about "too many sword characters in Smash" in the trailer; it was sharp and to the point hopefully folks won't be too cut-up about this and will just move on as the anger/salt will sheath away with time!.

I'm honestly really happy that Byleth got in since Three Houses is my favorite Fire Emblem game and I wanted Byleth in, but I understand the disappointment, for those who actually played Three Houses, this likely made them at the very least ok with the pick to likely really happy, but for people who have never played Three Houses or have no interest in it or the Fire Emblem Series, I could understand how underwhelming it could be

I do think rage and salt are a little unjustified considering all the cool fighters we got, plus 6 more later on, but I can understand this is not for everyone, at the same time, you should be happy we're getting more characters and not be so hung up on Byleth, cause the overreaction now once again proves why the Smash Community is so Toxic

"Why you have to be mad, it only game"

Maybe I am the type of person who likes to weights the positives and negatives. For me, Byleth taking one slot out of 11 (12 if you count PP) is really not a big deal. We still got 6 slots that can be anyone, I am also a person who just likes getting new characters to play with. I am easy to please.

It also helps that I am biased towards FE so yeah.

Byleth seems pretty mid-tier to me. A lot of his moves have a lot of end-lag as well large start ups. Plus, they're running speed is really low based off the gameplay. And that Pitbox for their nair... man that's sad.

Strong though at least and that up-air and up smash seem pretty good, like a better up-smash ZSS.

Maybe MKLeo will do something with them, I'm definitely gonna try them when the next 2GG allows it.

Nah, it's like Pit's based on how even when up close to Marth it wouldn't connect due to z-axis shenanigans.

Palu's Nair is too good, plus her's combos into itself when Byleth's just tosses to the side, thus can't combo into it.

Yeah, Byleth probably isn't gonna be amazing, they'll be fun, but mostly mid to low tier probably

Who knows tho, weaker characters can still excel with practice and innovation

>Who knows tho, weaker characters can still excel with practice and innovatio

You say that, but the literal best player in the world and best Marth player in Smash 4 had to drop Marth in Ultimate because of how bad and inconsistent Marth was that they weren't reliable at a stacked tournament.

There are limits to how far you can push a character, but a mid tier is still a mid tier and won't be as good as a top tier.

I mean that is absolutely more valid on the competitive level, I'm not gonna argue with that, mid tiers are still objectively worse characters than top tiers, but that doesn't mean that a lower tiered character can't win with good skill and practice, if we're talking about the highest level of play, it's a big factor, but when you're talking about the more casual competitive player like me, hard work and practice can actually make the difference

Also MKleo did not have to drop Marth, he chose to in favor of better characters, MKleo is still really good with Marth

He really did have to drop Marth.

After his Marth run at Summit 2 where he lost against Samsora and Nairo. He then came here to 2GG since Summit is in SoCal as well. He was losing with his Marth to Larry Lurr and switching to Lucina made him win with much ease.

He basically had to drop Marth, Marth is just not good.

But yeah, he's still good with Marth, but Lucina is just better.

Leo Joker is a beast, still remember his epic comeback in evo 2019 (or in CEO? I kind of forgot lel)

Anyway is he still playing Joker? And i need to find the best Terry player to watch lel

Byleth seems like a high risk high reward kind of character. In that you need lots of planning and mindgames to capitalize in his powerful moves.

I'd like to try them out, but I'm probably gonna be crap with them =P

Not gonna lie, Byleth's moveset looks like it could easily be repurposed for the Monster Hunter character.

Yeah I saw people mentioning the same. Let's be fair though, Multi Weapon Wielding characters can fall into similar styles due to the RPG mechanics and stuff. I mean, I could make a case and say the moveset could fit Firio as well

I'm feeling Monster Hunter the most tho due to Byleth's slower more methodical playstyle, as you said a very "high risk high reward" kind of character. That's very monster hunter to me at least.

Speaking for the lack of familiarity with Monster Hunter here, but that's mostly because of how the monsters completely outclass you in terms of size and power, right? So the hunters have to play it carefully and smart with all the tools they have to make each strike count.

Nah, the player character in monster hunter is pretty slow and methodical in general, you have a stealth bar and everything. It plays pretty similarly to Dark Souls ironically.

Monster Hunter is also about the ecosystems and how the monsters behave like actual living creatures while memorizing the attack patterns of a monster while also exploiting their weaknesses (there's literally a skill in MH called "weakness exploit").

The Axiom of Virgo said:
Monster Hunter is also about the ecosystems and how the monsters behave like actual living creatures while memorizing the attack patterns of a monster while also exploiting their weaknesses (there's literally a skill in MH called "weakness exploit").
Bylthe shoulda gotten a weak point mechanic

Not gonna judge Byleth loocking like a mid tier, cause that shit could come bite me in the ass with a hight tier smack

Do Robin and Corrin talk? I was always under the impression they had set personalities, albeit with lot of player input such as dialogue trees, choices and such, despite being player avatars.

Yeah, Robin and Corrin have more set personalities and actively talk during cutscenes and such. Although, for Corrin...that may have not been a good thing.

Robin and Corrin have set personalities, and they have little to no Dialogue Trees, their supports are set, their in-game dialogue is set, all that can change is appearance, class, stuff like that

Calling them Avatars is true, but you can't influence them much, unlike Byleth, who has a lot of leeway

Dragonmasterxyz said:
Yeah, Robin and Corrin have more set personalities and actively talk during cutscenes and such. Although, for Corrin...that may have not been a good thing.
What's up with Corrin? >_>

Speaking of... do the Male and Female Corrin and Robin have differences in their personalities, or are pretty much the same?

We don't talk about Corrin...

Also, not really. They are basically the same character. Only difference is gender and who they can marry as well as what gender they child will be.

DemonGodMitchAubin said:
Robin and Corrin have set personalities, and they have little to no Dialogue Trees, their supports are set, their in-game dialogue is set, all that can change is appearance, class, stuff like that

Calling them Avatars is true, but you can't influence them much, unlike Byleth, who has a lot of leeway
Yeah but a lot of the answers that you can give Byleth are super one dimensional and quite frankly, really boring.

It helps that Byleth comes from a much better game. So he's gonna be seen in a bit of a better light.

It's also less that we "love" Byleth, just that we "prefer" Byleth.

I have heard that Fates has pretty good gameplay but the story is divisive.

I guess that also, if what's mentioned before is true, Byleth being more of a stright up silent protagonist is also less controversial overall. I mean, giving a personality to a character, especially if botched in execution can rub people the wrong way, while a simple silent avatar at worst gets "ah, boring"

Back