• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Talking About The Pinkquake

There is a good chance that MLP may get downgarded to tier 7 (The high tiers). In that case, I would like to discuss the calc from almost 10 months ago. Oh, I have nothing against it, if anything, it'll be an upgrade. Here is what I think ought to be changed:

1. The height of the mountains are wrong. We aren't dealing with a lone singular mountain getting moved, we're dealing with more than 9 getting moved, all of them lined up next to each other. This is very clearly mountain range not a mountain. In this case, I suggest that we apply the height of the smallest mountain range for the height. This mountain range is known as the Sutter Buttes in California standing at 647 meters tall. Not only is it the smallest mountain range in the United States, but also the world.

"Why not go with 300 meters? Isn't that the average?" Well aside from the fact that this a mountain range and thus the height for a mountain range would be more accurate, 300 meters is outdated, and the definition has been abandoned since the 1970s .

2. The number of mountains may be higher as well. https://i.imgur.com/g3AgmUq.jpg I've counted 10 mountains. And yes, those darker mountains that look kinda like shadows are their own mountains. Watching the video you can see that they move individually and independantly of the mountains right behind them.

This image features the mountains behind the ponies. Mountain #1 is hard to see since it's obscured by Pinkie. This image lets yous see it better. It's right next to mountain 2 of the first image (as noted by the tall "shadow mountain"; as I've taken to calling them, next to it). In addition, there may or may not be a 9th mountain next to mountain #8, as there is the slope a "shadowmountain" that goes a bit higher than #8.

Why assume they were moved as well? Because the mountains in the far background of the first image were moved.Occam's Razor would assume that if it could affect those mountains at much farther range, then it should have affected the mountains that were closer to the ponies as well.

I would like to hear thoughts before I get to work on this.

> I suggest that we apply the height of the smallest mountain range for the height

Why specifically the smallest mountain range?

There a reason why you wanted to stick with the lowest possible value when talking about ponies? Hm?

We had no other references when using individual mountain heights so we went with 300 meters as a low end. Same thing here: I have no knowledge how big these mountains really are, so I went with the smallest mountain range to play it safe.

I should also note that even if this feat wasn't legitimately that powreful, it doesn't really change anything, as tier-six feats are still consistent.

The mountains were also snow-capped, implying they were high enough for water to easily freeze. I don't know what the smallest snow-capped mountain is, but perhaps we could use that?

Unless there something to disprove or contradict against it, snow capped is the best option. Claiming that it's vague isn't a good enough argument to dismiss it. All we have to prove it's height right now is the fact of where snow mountains are in height. (Where they start to get snowy). The reasoning makes sense and currently doesn't have evidence against it.

Azathoth said that snowlines can actually form at varying heights depending on the environment and temperature.

CBtheDB said:
The mountains were also snow-capped, implying they were high enough for water to easily freeze. I don't know what the smallest snow-capped mountain is, but perhaps we could use that?
Note the bolded text.

Darkanine said:
Snowlines form at about 4.5 km usually AFAIK, but can form as low as 1524 meters in western USA regions. Since Equestria is based off the USA (for the most part), perhaps that can be used instead?
In winter? Or does that apply to warmer weather? I might use 600+ meters as a low end just in case.

I question it it's possible to find the height of the mountains via the height of the clouds above it?

Right, then the feat becomes anywhere from 7-B to 7-A for the low end and High 7-A to 6-C for the high end.

Back