• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

ShionAH

He/Him
So in this video Sniper has some quotes that seem to prove that the respawn mechanic is “canon” things such as

“See you in five minutes”

“How many times have you died?” And more

There are a few more examples of this iirc like a few of Scouts lines. I personally see this as breaking the fourth wall, referencing the fact the player is getting "Dominationed" in game. Better evidence for type 4 would be the fact the BLU classes return after being killed in the meet the team videos.

This is too vague to determinate or give an immortality.
Wouldnt it make the game mechanics canon is the question.
There are a few more examples of this iirc like a few of Scouts lines. I personally see this as breaking the fourth wall, referencing the fact the player is getting "Dominationed" in game. Better evidence for type 4 would be the fact the BLU classes return after being killed in the meet the team videos.
Hmm well the quotes still should support it or something. Scout also talks about rage quitting so maybe 4th wall makes sense though he might mean “rage quit” in an actual sense or smth since he is weird

Respawning is quite canon. Lot to unpack, but a lot of age manipulation, eternal life, and/or outright coming back from the dead is common in TF2 lore.

There is an entire comic on how the founders of each company (RED and BLU) prolong their age through technology, have prolonged their fight for 100 years before even the mercs, and classic mercs were in the picture, and they had a brother (Gray Mann) raised by eagles who found a way to preserve not just immortality, but relative youth too.
That was a lot to say that through many means (typically technology, but other more esoteric and/or unconventional), there are various ways for the mercenaries to consistently respawn.
The last comic has a lot of life/death shenanigans. Absolutely buckwild:

This is just from one comic. There's probably much more I could reference for 'respawning' being canon, or that we could find. But it's far from just that.

Respawning is something that exists but never outright stated
The most obvious example is that the entire plot of the WAR update is BLU Soldier and RED Demoman trying to kill each other for the Gunboats
There is a counter on the page showing they killed each other millions of times
Soldier wins the update, so logically the RED Demo should be dead, right?
The same Demo with the same nagging mom and same Eyelander are shown to still be around

The most obvious example is that the entire plot of the WAR update is BLU Soldier and RED Demoman trying to kill each other for the Gunboats
The same Demo with the same nagging mom and same Eyelander are shown to still be around
Agreed

Respawning is quite canon. Lot to unpack, but a lot of age manipulation, eternal life, and/or outright coming back from the dead is common in TF2 lore.

There is an entire comic on how the founders of each company (RED and BLU) prolong their age through technology, have prolonged their fight for 100 years before even the mercs, and classic mercs were in the picture, and they had a brother (Gray Mann) raised by eagles who found a way to preserve not just immortality, but relative youth too.
That was a lot to say that through many means (typically technology, but other more esoteric and/or unconventional), there are various ways for the mercenaries to consistently respawn.

This is just from one comic. There's probably much more I could reference for 'respawning' being canon, or that we could find. But it's far from just that.
Both Scout and Medic's immortality stuff here relies on the abilities of others, and wouldn't really be usable on their profiles, and provides alternative explanations other than "respawning". So probably not Immortality Type 4 for the mercs.

But then how did Demoman come back and how does the mercs know about respawning?
A joke, at least for the latter- you didn't really give intel on the former so I can't evaluate it. I'd concede to 4th Wall Awareness as a possibly, but gags like that that aren't consistently referenced are pretty weak evidence.

I mostly just see respawning as Resurrection through Team Resources.

We have ingame domination voice lines outright saying that the mercenaries can die several times over. Also, in the shorts, we see the mercenaries (especially BLU) die a bunch of times, yet are completely fine in the next short.

So while they might not be able to “respawn” by themselves per say (with the exception of Medic and Soldier), they can under specific circumstances.

I mostly just see respawning as Resurrection through Team Resources.

We have ingame domination voice lines outright saying that the mercenaries can die several times over. Also, in the shorts, we see the mercenaries (especially BLU) die a bunch of times, yet are completely fine in the next short.

So while they might not be able to “respawn” by themselves per say (with the exception of Medic and Soldier), they can under specific circumstances.
Yep.

The issue isn't a matter of whether or not the mercs can respawn or resurrect: The issue is that there are numerous avenues/ways for which the mercs can be respawning canonically (the likely culprit being technology imo, all things considered), but whatever the specific reason(s) they commonly respawn or resurrect is left wonderfully vague.

I think it's funnier, and better left that way, but there is no doubt they can and do respawn from death, repeatedly resurrecting in canon too.

Oh yeah: In that regard, they likely have Type 4 through Type 8 (reliance on various means, likely technology)

Oh yeah: In that regard, they likely have Type 4 through Type 8 (reliance on various means, likely technology)
I don't think so, it's too vague if this is made into feats immo 4 bruh 8 seriously? it looks like a gag scene too, at least the character is said to have an immortality connection/reliant to the device if there was

To Be Honest That Device Is Just Have Resurrection Ability, It's Should Character To Have That Feats Not A Machine 👺

It’s not a gag, and It literally shows Heavy being revived from gibs.

Anyways, the Reanimator is probably not the thing that allows the mercenaries to respawn, we really just have no clue what allows them to respawn, we just know that they can.

Yep.

The issue isn't a matter of whether or not the mercs can respawn or resurrect: The issue is that there are numerous avenues/ways for which the mercs can be respawning canonically (the likely culprit being technology imo, all things considered), but whatever the specific reason(s) they commonly respawn or resurrect is left wonderfully vague.

I think it's funnier, and better left that way, but there is no doubt they can and do respawn from death, repeatedly resurrecting in canon too.
I don't think so, it's too vague if this is made into feats immo 4 bruh 8 seriously? it looks like a gag scene too, at least the character is said to have an immortality connection/reliant to the device if there was
I mention the use of technology primarily being seen across the game and comics, notably used in instances of prolonging life, preserving age (in comics, at least), and resurrecting humans. I also say that among the many ways we see characters do any or all of the three, technology seems the most consistent and likely for the mercs.

Also as Maskofthedragon mentioned, a canon event involved two of the characters being killed millions of times just to get an item.

I mention the use of technology primarily being seen across the game and comics, notably used in instances of prolonging life, preserving age (in comics, at least), and resurrecting humans. I also say that among the many ways we see characters do any or all of the three, technology seems the most consistent and likely for the mercs.

Also as Maskofthedragon mentioned, a canon event involved two of the characters being killed millions of times just to get an item.
I Understand It's Canon, I'm confused why you insist that this is immortality, that what makes them come back to life is not from their own abilities but by a machine

I'm going to call @CrimsonStarFallen because he's one of the only staff members I know has played this game. I get the notion that if it were as straightforward as many are presenting it as, it would be codified onto profiles already.

I Understand It's Canon, I'm confused why you insist that this is immortality, that what makes them come back to life is not from their own abilities but by a machine
I keep saying it's due to technology.

TF2 is far from the only instance of characters who can resurrect with the aid of technology, and not on their own, having immortality with such a clause.

Back