• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The current calc used for splitting the Earth in half is very faulty! Let's fix it!!

When I tried replicating the calc, I ended up having no idea as what the method to getting the value was, I'll even include the calc itself:

Splitting the Earth in half

• Description: The energy necessary to split the Earth in half and separate the halves by a visible distance.
  • Requirements: The Earth either has to be split to an extent that is visible from outer space (so far away that one can see the Earth in its entirety) or it has to be known that the halves were separated by at least 203km.
  • Results: 5.0811706477439e+30K - Small Planet level.
  • Calculation:
Diameter of the Earth is 12 742 000 meters. Radius is 6 371 000 meters.
No feat, so I'll assume the Earth is split apart by 1 kilometer, or 1000 meters.
The center of mass of each individual half is 3R/8 from the center of the sphere.
U = GMm/r
M = m = mass of half of the Earth = 5.97237e+24/2 = 2.986185e+24 kg
G = Gravitational constant = 6.674×10^(−11) m^3⋅kg^(−1)⋅s^(−2)
r = Earth radius = 6 371 000 m
800px-The_Earth_seen_from_Apollo_17.jpg

Here is a picture of the Earth. The diameter of the Earth is 627 pixels, or 12 742 000 meters.
Here is a picture of the Earth. The diameter of the Earth is 627 pixels, or 12 742 000 meters.
For the split to be visible I'll assume 10 pixels or so. That's 203 222 meters.
Therefore, the GPE of the unsplit Earth is still 1.245520136056038e+32 Joules. The split Earth is 1.194708429578599e+32.
So, the final tally would be 5.0811706477439e+30, or Small Planet level.

Just by looking at the calc, it doesn't show any formulas or methods or anything on how it get's it's value. It just gives us a couple of values that are used an just splits out a value without showing us how those values are used. I usually go by this rule of thumb, if the method of the calc can't be replicated to which you get the same or similar value in the end, then it's a crap calc and it makes the end value dubious

Why I also bring this up for attention is because Invincible is using this crappy calc to justify its 5-C tier, which might as well make it null and void

Last edited:
Back