• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The Death of SCP

I mean, if we’re eliminating franchises to use based on relevancy, Eddsworld, Madness Combat, Red VS Blue, and RWBY would have to be eliminated due to not coming out that often today (The latter 2 especially having their company shutting down)

Do you think a poll would do for deciding which internet series deserves to be the new internet image?

I stand by Madness Combat and Red vs Blue being the best of the options if we're not using Homestuck. A lot of these are newer fads whereas those two have been around for years and still maintain a high level of recognition. Hank J. Wimbleton seems the ideal to me, to avoid confusion between Halo and Red vs Blue.
Recognition, not relevancy, and I also think there's something to be said in terms of impact, which would be the main argument for Red vs Blue, given that it generated enough income to be peddled amongst more standard media on Netflix, was sold as DVDs for years across multiple outlets... I don't really understand how you'd argue "relevancy" isn't sufficient there, even if that was the argument.

Madness Combat is absolutely still relevant per our standards and has enough of a legacy to be a strong contender, in addition to the factor of recognition, which I still posit as the prime factor in deciding the "posterboy" of a given category. It was peak NewGrounds.

Would Madness Combat, Red vs Blue, Battle for Dream Island, and RWBY be acceptable options for us to vote about, due to either being popular, ong-lasting, or having many profiles in our wiki?

I think that we should select an option that is easily recogniseable and has relatively well-managed pages in our wiki. 🙏

Would Madness Combat, Red vs Blue, Battle for Dream Island, and RWBY be acceptable options for us to vote about, due to either being popular, ong-lasting, or having many profiles in our wiki?

I think that we should select an option that is easily recogniseable and has relatively well-managed pages in our wiki. 🙏
RWBY fits the bill but I think it being so closely related to anime makes it less ideal (and it's also the less notable of the two series from Rooster Teeth). I don't know anything about Battle for Dream Island and can't really say, I've never really even heard of it off this site.

Those would be good candidates IMO, yes.

RWBY fits the bill but I think it being so closely related to anime makes it less ideal (and it's also the less notable of the two series from Rooster Teeth). I don't know anything about Battle for Dream Island and can't really say, I've never really even heard of it off this site.
Okay. Never mind about RWBY then. 🙏

So which of the following verses should be featured in our symbolic front page "Internet" icon image?

Option 1) Madness Combat (AbaddonTheDisappointment, Mr. Bambu, Tllmbrg)

Option 2) Battle for Dream Island (Psychomaster35)

Our staff members are free to vote about it here, or to offer legitimately better (more notable and with reasonably good VS Battles Wiki pages) suggestions if they are available. 🙏

Last edited:
If I am to explain the impact Battle for Dream Island has, it did invent assets for many other popular YouTubers to use, particularly the mouths as explained in this video (Even if they have no idea what the series is). TomSka, a notable creator known for working on Eddsworld, even guest starred in BFDIA 10 because he was impressed with 2 animations he was involved in being referenced in BFDIA 9. Not to mention, if it weren't for the shows existence, then Caine from The Amazing Digital Circus (Which has the most viewed pilot in web series history) would've been different knowing how he was partially inspired off of Four most likely because of his goofiness and his sadisticness.

Furthermore, BFDI is pretty much what invented the object show community as a whole in the form of an entire genre dedicated to web series about inanimate objects. Many of the fans of that genre are also fans of Total Drama, which is seemingly recognizable on this wiki.

Last edited:
That seems like a good point. So Madness Combat or Battle for Dream Island then?

I honestly also think RVB can be mistaken for Halo, so I'm fine with it being excluded (Especially with the whole Rooster Teeth situation)

So that leaves Madness Combat and Battle for Dream Island then.

Yes. I have removed Red vs Blue from our options now. 🙏

While Battle For Dream Island is certainly a very influential show in its own right (As noted by @Psychomaster35 it created a whole genre on YouTube) I feel like Madness Combat is just the better pick to encompass the web category as a mascot
While not as popular in its heyday it still has a thriving community for itself, and is one of the pillars of Newgrounds which the place for web projects depending on the era. Many of the most iconic internet stuff came from there, many would later evolve into full-on professional games.
So to me it should take the spot

Madness Combat is without a doubt the reason why Newgrounds has become popular back in the days, especially since its characters will eventually appear in a future update of Friday Night Funkin', one of the most popular modern Newgrounds games. But in my defense for Madness having 2 games with an upcoming guest appearance in another game, BFDI also managed to have a flash game, a prototype book series, and an official character guide. Not to mention, BFDI has over 5x the amount of episodes Madness Combat has (78 against 15), thus outlasting its runtime.

Also, one of its official plushies even appeared on a BBC news interview.

Last edited:
If "games" are used to prove relevance, Madness does indeed have fully realized games of its own and, as far as I can tell, several fan games made as recently as the 2020s.

I wouldn't use the amount of content as a metric anyway, it's more about the cultural impact
Plus I think Madness Combat is just a more fitting mascot for vs wiki, which is all about combat when you break it down.

There are a lot of Madness fangames, yes. And even though we have an upcoming BFDI platformer fangame in the works, I suppose I can concede on the gaming influence between Madness and BFDI. However, BFDI still has a book and news influence which Madness seems to lack.

I should also mention the amount of views each has been getting. On Newgrounds, the most viewed video of Madness, its pilot, has 4.7M views, while on YouTube, its most viewed video, episode 7, has 11M views. Meanwhile, the most viewed episode of BFDI, its pilot, has 68M views, which is literally ~68% the amount of views every Madness episode on YouTube has combined (101M), just based on its pilot episode alone.

If you are still not convinced, let's talk award impact. BFDI won 2 awards, one being a Battle of Fantasy Foods award in 2016, and another being a Cartoon Crave Award in 2022. Madness AFAIK has never won any award for any Tank Awards event it or its fan content was nominated in.

i am largely indifferent to what the thing chosen ends up being, i only really piped up earlier because i had a better idea specifically for a homestuck logo if that was the chosen option

There are a lot of Madness fangames, yes. And even though we have an upcoming BFDI platformer fangame in the works, I suppose I can concede on the gaming influence between Madness and BFDI. However, BFDI still has a book and news influence which Madness seems to lack.

I should also mention the amount of views each has been getting. On Newgrounds, the most viewed video of Madness, its pilot, has 4.7M views, while on YouTube, its most viewed video, episode 7, has 11M views. Meanwhile, the most viewed episode of BFDI, its pilot, has 68M views, which is literally ~68% the amount of views every Madness episode on YouTube has combined (101M), just based on its pilot episode alone.

If you are still not convinced, let's talk award impact. BFDI won 2 awards, one being a Battle of Fantasy Foods award in 2016, and another being a Cartoon Crave Award in 2022. Madness AFAIK has never won any award for any Tank Awards event it or its fan content was nominated in.
I don't mean to offend you, it's not really that much of a big deal, but I think we should be objective about this, man.

8pGk5qX.png

I don't mean to offend you, it's not really that much of a big deal, but I think we should be objective about this, man.

8pGk5qX.png
Have you tried using the search term "BFDI", just in case? Because that is what the more notable acronym for the series is.

Red vs Blue might be pretty skewed, though, as it could also encompass the Pokemon characters battling each other
I really don't think that's going to make that much of a difference.

I really don't think that's going to make that much of a difference.
On the contrary, with how much of a multimedia giant Pokemon is and the fact that Red and Blue are two of the most iconic characters in the series, I think it could skew things quite a bit

Edit: At the same time, though, I might've underestimated Red vs. Blue itself, as a quick Google search did not give me any Pokemon-related results until much further down

I will present some dark horses for this race if only because I do think they each have merits even above the other options

Slenderman is without a doubt one of the most iconic internet-based characters, being essentially the boogie man of the modern days. Furthermore, it's well known even outside the internet sphere getting itself a movie, video games, and other stuff.

One of Youtube's most well known channels in the English speaking hemisphere Markplier is in some ways even responsible for popularizing franchises like FNAF, so his own web works could be a very good choice.

7kQyBbw.png

This is BFDI: has some recent upticks as of 2023 onwards, although if we wanted to judge based on new data, we'd be practically forced to use Hazbin Hotel.

On the contrary, with how much of a multimedia giant Pokemon is and the fact that Red and Blue are two of the most iconic characters in the series, I think it could skew things quite a bit

Edit: At the same time, though, I might've underestimated Red vs. Blue itself, as a quick Google search did not give me any Pokemon-related results until much further down
Yeah.

With this in mind, I think Red vs. Blue might be skewed a little bit, but likely not enough to make a substantial difference. From this 1 minute of research, I can infer that most people looking for the Pokemon stuff would search something like "red vs blue pokemon"

With this in mind, I think Red vs. Blue might be skewed a little bit, but likely not enough to make a substantial difference. From this 1 minute of research, I can infer that most people looking for the Pokemon stuff would search something like "red vs blue pokemon"
I said this over Discord but I think a lot of people our age would find it hard to believe how astronomically impactful Red vs Blue actually was when it was created. It was, objectively, a pioneer in terms of media, and of all the internet based series of its era, it undoubtedly proved the validity of that format. It was sold as real, physical media at real, physical stores nationwide. It managed things no other series had ever managed or would manage for a long, long time.

I was three years old when Red vs Blue came out, and I was a small child when it was in its heyday. Still, we'd be fools to pretend it was just something niche. It broke the glass dome and in this way provided the way forward for other internet pieces of media to do the same years later. If it weren't likely to be confused for Halo, due to using their player models, it would be an almost irrefutable first choice, I think.

I see. I'm very unfamiliar with Red vs. Blue, so that would check out on my end. If not for potentially being confused with Halo, it would absolutely be my first choice for this role - and honestly I'm still kind of considering it.

With that in mind, though, I think Madness Combat probably makes the most sense.

I added "Homestuck" to that comparison chart and it still seems to come out ahead of Madness Combat and BFDI, but below Red vs Blue. Given the "looks like Halo" issue I still think Homestuck makes the most sense.

I added "Homestuck" to that comparison chart and it still seems to come out ahead of Madness Combat and BFDI, but below Red vs Blue. Given the "looks like Halo" issue I still think Homestuck makes the most sense.
I had checked in on that as well, but if we did want an ongoing series, Madness Combat remains relatively active on an official basis (the last full episode was released a year ago, with smaller bits releasing since then).

Homestuck fell out of relevancy today (As did Red VS Blue and Madness Combat) while BFDI rose in relevancy.

What site are you using to compare these searches, by the way?

I'mma be real
Slenderman Mythos/Slenderman has a real case for being our rep since it's easily more iconic than everything else mentioned. It's also on a relative footing with Red vs Blue in terms of importance as well, being the internet's boogie man and inspiring web horror to come. Furthermore, Slenderman: The Eight Pages has jump-started the careers of multiple high-profile YouTubers, including blood PewDiePie.

It's not as popular nowadays sure, but I think it more than makes up for it with its sheer iconic nature and impact on the digital space as a whole.

Homestuck fell out of relevancy today (As did Red VS Blue and Madness Combat) while BFDI rose in relevancy.

What site are you using to compare these searches, by the way?
Google search trends, same as Bambu.

I had checked in on that as well, but if we did want an ongoing series, Madness Combat remains relatively active on an official basis (the last full episode was released a year ago, with smaller bits releasing since then).
I guess I don't see the need to pick an ongoing series. Our "books" image is not ongoing, for instance.

It's not as popular nowadays sure, but I think it more than makes up for it with its sheer iconic nature and impact on the digital space as a whole.
Also a good option.

Markiplier is self-evidently a goofy option.

Slenderman just has the issue of not really being tied to a specific verse. Slenderman is an idea, a mental image, and every verse containing him is nowhere near to being as iconic as the basic idea. I don't think he's a good choice as a result.

I consider Homestuck to be third best. Red vs Blue is better but has the issue of confusion with Halo, Madness Combat has no issues but has lower peaks of popularity (but is indeed an iconic internet franchise).

Slenderman just has the issue of not really being tied to a specific verse. Slenderman is an idea, a mental image, and every verse containing him is nowhere near to being as iconic as the basic idea. I don't think he's a good choice as a result.
I just don't think this point really matters, we have the Slender Mythos as an umbrella thing for Slenderman as a whole for a reason. Each part of contributes to the whole, which is what we'd be slapping here

Back