• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The Sonic Shuffle issue and by extension Sonic canon

As a Sonic fan, I have witnessed my fair share of debates amongst the fanbase regarding which games they believe are and aren't canon. There was the SEGA forum guy who supposedly said Chronicles wasn't canon, but at the same time he also believed the storybook games and Sonic Generations aren't canon, so it's safe to say he wouldn't be the most credible source. I also saw someone say that Sonic Rivals isn't canon. On here though, I've seen it thrown around a few times that Sonic Shuffle in particular isn't canon. This is something I find is a very odd thing to say for these following reasons.

-Sonic Team, the main group who develops the Sonic games oversaw and participated in the development of the game with Hudson Soft.

-It doesn't contradict any established lore.

-No one from SEGA or Sonic Team has come out and said the game is not canon. I've searched multiple times and found nothing proving this.

-Notable staff such as Akinori Nishiyama and Yuji Uekawa who supervised Sonic Shuffle's development have also worked on Sonic Adventure, Sonic Adventure 2, Sonic Heroes, Sonic Rush series, Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic 06, storybook games, Sonic Generations, etc.

With that being said, why single out Sonic Shuffle? It seems rather arbitrary to do so, even though this is more of an issue with Sonic canon in general, so it's something I think is worth discussing.

Yah, I too don't see why it's non canon

It's it kind of a footnote in Sonic's story? True but still doesn't make it non canon

The real cal howard said:
Just. Call. Sera. As the lead staff behind Sonic stuff I'm honestly surprised none of you go to her.
We mostly go to Dark649 as he's the most active staff in handling the Sonic profiles.

But sure I'll let Sera know.

I have a blog I never finished discussing Sonic canon. The games are canon (Forces was stated to be "stand alone", but that could mean anything). The issue for me isn't isn't canonicity, it's continuity. Trying to put all of the games in chronological order is a nightmare.

You see? The only games canon are console games that have Sonic runny and spinning. Any other game isn't canon so deal with it you *****. Oh! Also Sonic isn't FTL anymore. He should Subsonic+ cause he faster than the speed of SOUND, dummy! Get real you idiots! Sonic's canon is super messed up!
Tpose Sonic

@Violet You already know what I'm gonna tell you bro lol.

But to be fair, we have no idea by who and when it was decided that Shuffle isn't canon. It was more than likely a few years back.

@Sera EX Oh yeah continuity can be a bit loose there. For example Sonic Battle was released before Shadow the Hedgehog but the events suggest it takes place after it.

@VioletVoid100 You may have said that as a joke, but I have legit seen people say that a Sonic game is only canon if it's on a console.

ShakeResounding said:
@Violet You already know what I'm gonna tell you bro lol.
But to be fair, we have no idea by who and when it was decided that Shuffle isn't canon. It was more than likely a few years back.
Probably here? That's just their opinion though.

... I'll hold off on commenting about that.

Regardless, I guess we need some more input here. Sera agrees it's canon, but I doubt everybody does.

Sera's absolutely right about continuity,even Ian Flynn has stated several times that he doesn't know when the hell everything happens, & he writes for comics directly mandated by Sega/Sonic Team.

The only way I can see it as non canon is the fact that it's a Party game, but that's a stretch since the genre of games doesn't determine if it's canon or not

ShadowWarrior1999 said:
@VioletVoid100 You may have said that as a joke, but I have legit seen people say that a Sonic game is only canon if it's on a console.
Then those people don't know what canon is. Still, don't bring those arguments here as it only provides strawman fallacies to those who may disagree with you.

D-did you just miss what I said above? It's obvious on what is canon. What isn't is more up to debate. But you guys need to stop making it sound like everyone who disagrees with you on canon believes that anything that doesn't have a Green Hill Zone or a copy of it isn't canon. Because you guys do that a LOT.

Sonic games that aren't numbered under the same title usually have almost nothing to do with each other,soft reboots amok.

I feel you guys are ignoring what cal is saying

Don't strawman here, not everyone is that thickheaded when it comes to deciding canon in sonic

@UltimateFlare I didn't see Cal's comment before I posted that lol.

@ED Forces was for example stated to be a stand-alone game, but that doesn't make it non-canon. By stand-alone they mean it isn't a direct sequel to a previous game.

Back