• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Tier 4 revisions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very close to the original value, yes. Now the big question is: what stars make up the baselines for High 5-A, Low 4-C, and High 4-C?

If they were calculated with the previous method, they would need to be updated.

...were specific stars used for them? High 4-C felt way too close to 4-C for me to get that impression myself, else the definition of Star very strictly referred to stars similar in size to our own Sun. Ah well.

Did you have any particular ideas about stars to use as base-lines for these measurements?

Those are some great news, yes. Thank you very much for the help.

It would probably still be good to ask the entire calc group and DontTalkDT to give input here though. We have to be very careful to get everything right when adjusting the tiering system.

Well if we have no clue which stars make up the baselines, we need to figure that out. For High 5-A, we should find a typical Brown Dwarf. For Low 4-C, a small star such as Wolf as Proxima Centauri should work. Probably Proxima, as it is more widely known than Wolf. High 4-C should be a very well-bound star, possibly a Carbon White Dwarf. Of course that would make "Large Star" completely stupid, but Carbon Whites are very durable in comparison to most, without bringing in neutron pulsars.

Antvasima said:
Those are some great news, yes. Thank you very much for the help.

It would probably still be good to ask the entire calc group and DontTalkDT to give input here though. We have to be very careful to get everything right when adjusting the tiering system.
I agree. Should I make a new thread about this in the Calc Group forum? I could bring in all the calc members, DontTalk, and Blademan (since he originally brought this to our attention).

After we get a number sorted out, we can try to get the values of the other "star" levels, and then go from there. If we do indeed settle on this new formula and find that our other baselines around this tier are wrong, we will need to go and find good stars to recalc the tiers and full-on revise everything with "star" in the name. This is going to be a LONG and ongoing process. I doubt we will need the general admins/staff to come in for a while longer.

The Attack Potency page says that High 5-A was acquired from a Brown Dwarf star (specifically, the OTS 44).

I do not know what High 4-C was acquired from though.

You can start a new thread if you wish, yes. Although it might be best to keep it in the staff forum as well, given that lots of regular members might pour in to get the discussion off-track otherwise.

A brown dwarf makes sense for High 5-A. Not knowing where High 4-C or Low 4-C come from is kindof weird though. I am sure we can figure something out. In my eyes the biggest hurdle has been cleared, so long as no other problems arise.

Using the new formula on OTS 44, we can find that its GBE is 1.7113929x10^38 joules, slightly lower than our current value of 2.225x10^38 joules.

Okay. Kavpeny might have mentioned where he got the values from in his original revision thread for the attack potency chart, but that was back in 2015, so it would be hard to find.

Maybe DontTalkDT remembers better? He was closely involved with revising the attack potency chart.

Well I dug up a lot for the timeline, maybe I can find it... Kav isn't on frequently enough to ask anymore, is he?

Edit: DontTalk probably needs to see this, no matter what. It accounts for his issue of non-uniform density, gives a legitimate, source-able formula, and we also need him to answer some questions.

No, he is not. He briefly responded to me that he would look into this revision project the 11th of January, but seems to have been too busy IRL to do so yet.

It's understandable. He is very busy. Hopefully DontTalk and the Calc members have time to contribute to this.

Yes. I hope so as well. It might also be necessary to post a new version of DontTalk's calculation blog for the 4-B to 3-A values, given that it used the old star values as a basis.

Well, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. As of now I think we should:

1. Verify the formula is accurate. (Calc members, Blademan, and DontTalk)

2. Find stars for High 5-A, Low 4-C, and High 4-C, and calculate their GBE with the new formula. (Calc Members, Blademan, and DontTalk)

3. Apply new Sun GBE to old values derived from it. (Staff and DontTalk)

4. Overhaul of the values High 5-A and above, as needed. (Everyone willing to help)

Kaltias said:
High 4-C is Rigel i believe
Makes sense. That said Rigel is like THE strongest star outside of the White Dwarves or Neutron pulsars. Is that really a good baseline for Large Star?

I think that seems reasonable, but the question is if the staff are willing to commit to this type of revision project when school has just started.

Unfortunately, we might have to wait until there is a holiday, possibly during summer vacation.

I'm fine with this taking a while. It may need to be a gradual process or one that waits, but we absolute need to start moving to confirm it is the right way to go. No point in waiting just to realize we have a problem.

Imo we get to the point in which we have the new values for the tiers, and then we wait until a break, if necessary (probably will be) to apply them in a mass change. I personally think Spring Break is better than Summer, but that may be my hype talking.

I agree. Although the problem is that this is an international community, so spring break probably varies a lot between different countries, or is not applied at all.

Also to answer @Spinosaurus' question, Planet level will NOT need to be recalculated. It is not as important to planets, as they do not have the same level of exponential increase of density that stars have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back