• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Tier 4 revisions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most fiction also portray peak human at around tier 8 or higher.

We probably havent determined the average planet size yet as we are getting better with searching for terrestrial exoplanets.

Matthew Schroeder said:
Making a star other than the sun the baseline is a terrible idea. Most fiction tend to base standards for Planets, Stars and Galaxies on our own since it is the most common for us.

Even though neither match the average planet / star / galaxy size for our universe.

It should still be what we use as baseline.

Hell, if we were to use the "Average star rating" in real life for our Baseline, our Baseline Planet level would be Jupiter, since last I checked that's the actual average planet size in the universe.
I never intended this. I meant for multi-star destroying feats (say a character makes 2000 stars disappear) using the Sun as average is ridiculous, since most stars are M class red dwarves.

Sorry for the confusion, I never meant any other star aside from the Sun to be baseline star level.

Let's not forget about this thread. We still have to decide which value to use for the Sun's GBE and possible different names for the Star levels, considering the higher energy needed to destroy a small star as compared to what we currently implied.

I have asked Kavpeny to help out, but he seldom has the time nowadays.

3.8E41J is still and underestimate.

If the escape velocity of the Sun was constant as we removed matter from it the it's GBE would be GM^2/r=3.795E41J.

However due to the dramatic increase in density as you go deeper the escape velocity actually increase signifcatly.

For example 34% of the Suns mass is contained within .2 radii so if you just take the core the escape velcoity from there would be 30% higher and take 70% more energy. The Suns denisty at .25 radii is roughly 20g/cm^3. If we assume this is constant between .2 radii and .25 radii (this is an underestimate) then this part has 10.8% of the Suns mass. The escape velocity at .25 radii is then 1.792^.5 of the surface. Lets say it's 1.7^.5 for all matter between .2 radii and .25 radii. So 70% more energy to remove that part of the sun then for our previous estimate. This part weighs 10.8% of the mass of the sun so this adds on 7.6% to the energy required and gives us adleast 4.08E41J

As such this results in a significantly higher figure, and is still and underestimate.

Via this here

https://www.astro.umd.edu/~jph/A320_Stellar_Structure.pdf

the last figure shows that the Suns mass is more concentrated then a polytrope with n=3 and as such has a GBE greater then 5/(5-3)*.6*GM^2/R=5.69E41

Honesty using this https://solarscience.msfc.nasa.gov/images/Dalsgaard1_density_vs_r.jpg

is should eb possible to calcuate a approxiamte estimate by diving the sun into sections.

The method used to get to that number accounted for constant and non-constant density. Sorry, but I trust scientific papers more.

Doesn't the average density account for this dramatic increase in density approaching the center? As in the average density is actually higher than the density on the edge of the star. Does this not compensate? Or does this change yield a phenomena that makes it unreliable?

The Earth is calculated with mass derived from average density and is accurate, despite our core taking up around 33% of our mass.

What will be the difference between Star level and Large Star level after this revisions?, and the names will change?

Yeah, I like the 3.8 number the best. It is close to our calc-able number, and has several scientific sources backing it.

Well, perhaps somebody could ask DontTalkDT to help out again? He is usually well informed about these types of issues. Executor N0 is probably good to ask as well.

DT provided us with the 3.8x10^41 number originally, and has been present in this thread. I am sure he knows.

Okay. I was just worried that he might have unsubscribed.

Yes. It is extremely important that we try to get this right.

Therefir said:
What will be the difference between Star level and Large Star level after this revisions?, and the names will change?
No one answered me.

The names wouldn't change as of now. Too much work for too little change with other revisions going on right now.

The gap would go a bit more, but not significantly.

So what should we do about the High 5-A to High 4-C tiers?

I think we don't need to change the names, just let people know destroying large stars is easier than destroying, say, the Sun.

I know names aren't going to be talked about but may I recommend calling it dense star level if we are talking about things like our sun or even smaller ones... just a thought... and it sounds cool

@Greyfang

We already discussed this; as of now such an implementation would not be practical. Maybe when some revisions finish we can bring that up again.

Changing the names after these revisions seems better, a bot can do that right?

The Everlasting said:
I still strongly disagree with renaming the tiers.
But small stars are actually Large Star level, and large stars are Small Star level, the names don't make sense.

It is not practical in what sense?, would it be a lot of work to change the names?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back