• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Timeless Voids Standards Issues (Staff only)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's see, the users that were meant to help here were Sera EX (Who has been inactive lately for multiple reasons) and Aeyu (Which also isn't too active either and left Fandom).

Perhaps the best would be to improvise a bit and try to get a rough draft of the idea by ourselves for now.

Well, I would appreciate if you could ask all of the staff members who participated above to comment here again via their message walls.

Sera EX said:
Considering what's been discussed, I believe there are two options available:
A. A "timeless void" section should be implemented into the Speed page discussing why the speed equation doesn't apply to a timeless void. (Ignoring timeless voids altogether).

B. Timeless voids grant immeasurable speed as was discussed earlier, assuming all other requirements such as consistency are fulfilled and that there is some other form of evidence for it outside the void stuff. (Changing some timeless voids to immeasurable speed).

Option A is the most accurate whereas Option B leaves room for some more fluid interpretation of certain feats, since it was said by two users very knowledgeable in math (Aeyu offsite and Pritti on-site) that it could possibly be immeasurable albeit mostly undefined.

Regardless of which option we choose characters will be downgraded (albeit Option B means a few will be upgraded) or placed at Unknown.
Just going to remind that Option A was the one accepted.

Yeah, I remember Option A to be applied, although I already lost track a little of the revision beyond of no longer rating based in voids and similar stuff.

Bobsican said:
This thread appears to have concluded already, however, the changes haven't been applied at all and are pending discussion as to what to apply exactly on this regard in the end (As in, the way of saying it, not the "actual" content)
The only thing missing is wording Option A for the Speed page as a note or so.

Yes. Option A should be applied, but some staff member(s) need to rewrite our Timeless Voids Standards page accordingly, to explain why we don't scale speed from them anymore.

I would greatly appreciate some help with this. We are around 70 staff members. Somebody should be able to handle it.

I think Option A is good as well, but not sure how to reword the timeless void pages to include the various details.

Do you have any suggestions for some staff members that you could ask to handle it?

While not a staff member, I thought I'd throw my hat in the ring to write up a draft to help the staff since it's been a while since this discussion was held.

"Timeless Voids, i.e. areas within a setting that exist outside the flow of time, cannot be used to grant Infinite speed. One might be tempted to apply Speed = Distance/Time and say that time equals 0 in this situation thus, moving through this type of void should result in Infinite speed. However, in a Timeless Void, time does not exist, making Time = Not Applicable. This, combined with the fact that the causative relationship between events in a void is unknown since time is a measurement of change and that distance within a void is often ill-defined, renders the Speed equation unusable.

In short, since Distance = Undefined and Time = Not Applicable, Speed cannot be determined under these conditions."

Thank you.

What do the rest of you think? Should we apply that text, or is one of you willing to improve on it?

@Sera

I am not sure how you wish to modify the text. Could you do a brief rewrite please?

Oh yeah, there are voids that are both timeless and spaceless as opposed to ones that are just timeless. This is only for timeless voids and even "Spaceless voids" make little sense.

Well, somebody needs to rewrite the text in that case.

Timeless Voids, i.e. areas within a setting that exist outside the flow of time, cannot be used to grant Infinite speed. One might be tempted to apply Speed = Distance/Time and say that time equals 0 in this situation thus, moving through this type of void should result in Infinite speed. However, in a Timeless Void, time does not exist, making Time = Not Applicable. Furthermore, anything divided by 0 is not infinite, but rather undefined.

So in short, Time = Nonexistent or Not Applicable and Distance/Time = Undefined and cannot be determined under these conditions.

Would that work better?

Furthermore, anything divided by 0 is not infinite, but rather undefined.

I don't think adding this to the text is a good idea. If you're going that route, then the only infinite speed feats left would be moving an infinite distance.

This thread is for timeless void feats. Not for "moving while zero time has passed" feats.

Does this apply to feats of crossing or destroying timeless voids of infinite size in a finite timeframe?

Timeless Voids, i.e. areas within a setting that exist outside the flow of time, cannot be used to grant Infinite speed. One might be tempted to apply Speed = Distance/Time and say that time equals 0 in this situation thus, moving through this type of void should result in Infinite speed. However, in a Timeless Void, time does not exist, making Time = Not Applicable.

So in short, Time = Nonexistent or Not Applicable and Distance/Time = Undefined and cannot be determined under these conditions.

This also works. @Weekly, I do not think that can be a speed feat.

@Agnaa & Sera

Is Medeus' current version acceptable?

Also, we are almost out of posts, so no derailing please.

@Weekly crossing infinite distances under a finite amount of time is a speed feat, not "Destroying infinite sized voids."

I no longer see any issues with it. Granted I haven't played a huge part in the discussion of these revisions.

@Weekly If it was crossed in a finite timeframe, how would it be a timeless void? But yeah, if an infinite distance is crossed in a finite timeframe, these revisions won't affect that. But if the justification relies more on the void supposedly being timeless, a CRT may be needed to discuss it.

As an aside, I don't think destroying such a realm would be a speed feat.

As another aside, we're running low on posts so please continue this on a message wall if you have more to say.

The text looks good but I think we decided to yeet the timeless void page completely and apply the text as a note in the speed page.

The only ones, besides redirects that link to the timeless void standards are speed and the main page. Adding it to the section on speed pages instead of the link is good, and there's not really a point having it on list of bulleted points on the main page. I'm fine with turning Timeless Void standards into a redirect, but given how bare bones it is now; I think it's better to just delete the page.

I will also take care of the verses that need to be reworked that I'm familiar with after the forum move.

Okay. Thank you. I will try to handle the Speed page and the redirects then.

Thankfully, yes. Although there are barely any posts left, so maybe we should keep it open, in case somebody has something important left to say?

I don't think there are more important topics left to speak on but I am fine with keeping the thread open, just in case.

AKM sama said:
The text looks good but I think we decided to yeet the timeless void page completely and apply the text as a note in the speed page.
Not at all, it was agreed on that some standards had to be left around to avoid this turning into an even worse mess.

Edit: Oh, it seems it has been agreed to just yeet all timeless void feats for an "Unknown" speed rating at best or simply its own feat, as not anyone can move in those and all of that, I guess this thread can be closed now.

Also, don't orget to archive it in the Wayback Machine as the last posts are important for reference.

Pointing it out now just as a reminder, we have quite a lot of revisions to do after the move, i.e. pages that have infinite or immeasurable speeds listed due to timeless voids would have to be revised.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back