• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Vs battles wiki pet peeves

how's the Drizzt page fix going
unknown.png

Speaking as someone with autism, what yours can manage terrifies me-
Honestly, it's a bit weird to hear that when I think the amount of effort I put in is what I consider to be normal for a typical wiki page outside of VSBW. Maybe that's just a thought born out of spite against the Touhou wiki, though; That site gets worse every year, and it motivates me to make actually high quality Touhou pages. After all, if I don't, who will?

Honestly, it's a bit weird to hear that when I think the amount of effort I put in is what I consider to be normal for a typical wiki page outside of VSBW. Maybe that's just a thought born out of spite against the Touhou wiki, though; That site gets worse every year, and it motivates me to make actually high quality Touhou pages. After all, if I don't, who will?
I respect the dedication. It's just that me personally, I don't know if I could manage all that. Even some pages I'm very proud of (like this one) don't have nearly as much as that

I respect the dedication. It's just that me personally, I don't know if I could manage all that. Even some pages I'm very proud of (like this one) don't have nearly as much as that
It's something I feel I'm only able to do out of love for the series. Like, I know I have something of a reputation as a Touhou glazer on here, but that extends well beyond VS debating; I'd say about 80% of my current personality owes itself to Touhou, and I've got plans to start an archive indexing any and all official material that exists simply because I've got way too much knowledge that I feel needs to be shared (and it's not like anybody else is doing that level of research, as far as I'm aware). If I didn't love this series with every fiber of my being, there's no way in hell I could do that amount of work. But uh, I'm bound to Touhou for the rest of my existence, so that's how you end up with profiles with a shitzillion scans and references. So frankly, autism is only half the story - the other half could probably be classified as some kind of mental illness, but at least I'm having fun with it.

The Blade Physiology page looks good btw, I think it's a good example of how most pages should look.

It's something I feel I'm only able to do out of love for the series. Like, I know I have something of a reputation as a Touhou glazer on here, but that extends well beyond VS debating; I'd say about 80% of my current personality owes itself to Touhou, and I've got plans to start an archive indexing any and all official material that exists simply because I've got way too much knowledge that I feel needs to be shared (and it's not like anybody else is doing that level of research, as far as I'm aware). If I didn't love this series with every fiber of my being, there's no way in hell I could do that amount of work. But uh, I'm bound to Touhou for the rest of my existence, so that's how you end up with profiles with a shitzillion scans and references. So frankly, autism is only half the story - the other half could probably be classified as some kind of mental illness, but at least I'm having fun with it.

The Blade Physiology page looks good btw, I think it's a good example of how most pages should look.
Really wish i had this level of dedication to something tbh

I feel that on a personal level honestly. There are some series I feel that way about, where I just love them with every fiber of my being. As one may be able to surmise, Xenoblade is one such series (the other is Pokémon, but I can't be bothered with Pokémon scaling for the life of me)
Thanks. If I couldn't do that much for a series I absolutely adore, I might've just curled up and hid myself into a corner for all eternity 🗿

I feel that on a personal level honestly. There are some series I feel that way about, where I just love them with every fiber of my being. As one may be able to surmise, Xenoblade is one such series (the other is Pokémon, but I can't be bothered with Pokémon scaling for the life of me)
Well, fair enough for Pokemon, that just seems miserable to deal with in VS. But I'm still glad there's at least one series you're able to channel that love into; I feel like everybody needs at least one series like that.
Really wish i had this level of dedication to something tbh
It sounds great, until you end up spending several hundred dollars on international shipping and getting interviews translated (not that I regret any of that, though).

Well, fair enough for Pokemon, that just seems miserable to deal with in VS. But I'm still glad there's at least one series you're able to channel that love into; I feel like everybody needs at least one series like that.
Truth. It helps that Xenoblade's fairly niche, so it really feels like I'm able to slowly put more and more into the verse. I think my next project for it is gonna be a cosmology blog

I don’t want to quote the posts since they were quite big and but I agree with you two!!!

honestly it sucks when the verses yoh love barely get supported or it’s just a one man show by yourself but I love them too much not to keep coming back to it, outside of debating to

Truth. It helps that Xenoblade's fairly niche, so it really feels like I'm able to slowly put more and more into the verse. I think my next project for it is gonna be a cosmology blog
Well, best of luck with that. I'm dreading having to make 3 separate cosmology blogs for Touhou.
I don’t want to quote the posts since they were quite big and but I agree with you two!!!

honestly it sucks when the verses yoh love barely get supported or it’s just a one man show by yourself but I love them too much not to keep coming back to it, outside of debating to
Yeah, it's really unfortunate. Sometimes it can feel like I'm the only one on the site who likes Touhou for its own sake and not just because the verse is OP or whatever.

I've actually wanted to get into Touhou for a while even tho i'm shit at bullethells, which game should i start with?
Ah, well, you don't have to start with any games. There are plenty of manga and print works to choose from, which I think are better starting places for the series. The Touhou Wiki does list off all the official works on its front page, so I'd go there and look for whatever sounds interesting to you. However, here are a few of my own recommendations:
  • Wild and Horned Hermit: A slice-of-life focused manga that deals a lot with the day to day life of Touhou characters. Most chapters are self-contained, and I think it's the most beginner friendly manga out there. It only really has a serious story towards the very end, and it introduces a lot of important characters early on, so it's relatively easy to understand.
  • Forbidden Scrollery: A bit more serious than WaHH, most stories are split into two chapters, and the series deals a lot with the structure and society of the main setting. It has some of my favorite art and characterization in the entire series, though, so it's a really good read even if it's hard to understand as a newcomer. Definitely one of the best manga out there.
  • Curiosities of Lotus Asia: A series of light novels following one of the only named male characters in the series (Rinnosuke). He does a lot of expositing to whoever will listen, but he often says a lot of dubious things, so the series is both an invaluable source of canon info and also something to read with a bit of skepticism. Still, it's very well written, and it does give a lot of legitimately interesting insight into a lot of important characters and concepts in the series.
  • Perfect Cherry Blossom: I've often seen this touted as the most beginner friendly bullet hell game, so I'm putting it here. It's relatively easy for a bullet hell, and has a simple, self contained story with a lot of likable characters. As far as Touhou plots go, this is about as simple as it gets lol
Of course, you can also just read the scripts to the games on the Touhou Wiki if you're no good at bullet hells. It also goes without saying that these are just recommendations, and you should just choose whatever looks cool. By far the best way to get into Touhou is to find a character you like, latch onto them, and then go read or play whatever content they're in before branching out from there. I liked Fujiwara no Mokou, for example, so I read everything she was in, found some plot hooks interesting, and then kept reading.

Also, since Touhou is a doujin series, it's got a lot of fanworks dedicated to it. That's an entirely different can of worms though, so I'll just say that there's something for everyone in this fandom. And of course, if you have any questions, feel free to ask me!

Last edited:
Back