• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Vs battles wiki pet peeves

Well to start with, I think my only experience with any form of bullet hell is the final boss of Sonic Frontiers, which I don't think even counts to begin with. So there's that. Really, I'm just looking for anything that gives me characters I can get attached to and a rich story I can love.

Well to start with, I think my only experience with any form of bullet hell is the final boss of Sonic Frontiers, which I don't think even counts to begin with. So there's that. Really, I'm just looking for anything that gives me characters I can get attached to and a rich story I can love.
Was frontiers your first sonic game I'm assuming?

Truthfully, there is no "good" way to get into Touhou. You just have to dive in and find what you like. So, the better question to ask is what do you want out of Touhou? What do you hope the series is like? Because if I know that, then I can get a lot more specific with my recommendations lol
I just like Reisen and Tewi and Reisen x Junko and I also love women and and and and

Hate matches where people try to equalize verse's mechanics like their energy systems to make it more "fair", its just giving an advantage that isn't needed most the time and instead can end up making the match change entirely.

Hate matches where people try to equalize verse's mechanics like their energy systems to make it more "fair", its just giving an advantage that isn't needed most the time and instead can end up making the match change entirely.
Now TBF, physiology and power explanation pages can sometimes be very annoying, especially when they have strange specifications and people usually like taking shortcuts for everything

learn to draw and rip off MORK BORG but as a newer, edgier setting, I will personally buy the end result for upwards of 50 dollars if you have a cool skeleton in it

Sometimes it can feel like I'm the only one on the site who likes Touhou for its own sake and not just because the verse is OP or whatever.
I mean, I like Touhou. I just refuse to vsdebate it so it's not very noticeable on here lol
Ah, well, you don't have to start with any games. There are plenty of manga and print works to choose from, which I think are better starting places for the series. The Touhou Wiki does list off all the official works on its front page, so I'd go there and look for whatever sounds interesting to you. However, here are a few of my own recommendations:
  • Wild and Horned Hermit: A slice-of-life focused manga that deals a lot with the day to day life of Touhou characters. Most chapters are self-contained, and I think it's the most beginner friendly manga out there. It only really has a serious story towards the very end, and it introduces a lot of important characters early on, so it's relatively easy to understand.
  • Forbidden Scrollery: A bit more serious than WaHH, most stories are split into two chapters, and the series deals a lot with the structure and society of the main setting. It has some of my favorite art and characterization in the entire series, though, so it's a really good read even if it's hard to understand as a newcomer. Definitely one of the best manga out there.
  • Curiosities of Lotus Asia: A series of light novels following one of the only named male characters in the series (Rinnosuke). He does a lot of expositing to whoever will listen, but he often says a lot of dubious things, so the series is both an invaluable source of canon info and also something to read with a bit of skepticism. Still, it's very well written, and it does give a lot of legitimately interesting insight into a lot of important characters and concepts in the series.
  • Perfect Cherry Blossom: I've often seen this touted as the most beginner friendly bullet hell game, so I'm putting it here. It's relatively easy for a bullet hell, and has a simple, self contained story with a lot of likable characters. As far as Touhou plots go, this is about as simple as it gets lol
Of course, you can also just read the scripts to the games on the Touhou Wiki if you're no good at bullet hells. It also goes without saying that these are just recommendations, and you should just choose whatever looks cool. By far the best way to get into Touhou is to find a character you like, latch onto them, and then go read or play whatever content they're in before branching out from there. I liked Fujiwara no Mokou, for example, so I read everything she was in, found some plot hooks interesting, and then kept reading.

Also, since Touhou is a doujin series, it's got a lot of fanworks dedicated to it. That's an entirely different can of worms though, so I'll just say that there's something for everyone in this fandom. And of course, if you have any questions, feel free to ask me!
Personally, I think Silent Sinner in Blue is a good starting point for the average shonen enjoyer. A good continuous plot line, some adventure, some battles, and relatively few references to other events in the verse.

Personally, I think Silent Sinner in Blue is a good starting point for the average shonen enjoyer. A good continuous plot line, some adventure, some battles, and relatively few references to other events in the verse.
I mean, I'm SSiB's strongest soldier, but I don't think it's a good starting point lmao. It's at its best when enjoyed alongside CiLR (Imperishable Night + Bougetsushou as a whole, really), and I think that makes it harder to recommend for someone just getting into the series. Doesn't help that it's quite divisive even within the Touhou fandom itself.
I mean, I like Touhou. I just refuse to vsdebate it so it's not very noticeable on here lol
I'm gonna be real with you I completely forgot about that

@Mad_Dog_of_Fujiwara Got any recommendations based on this? If this is too broad, I can try to be more specific

@Mad_Dog_of_Fujiwara Got any recommendations based on this? If this is too broad, I can try to be more specific
I would appreciate it if you could be more specific lol, I think all Touhou works have characters that you can get attached to. If you're just here for a good story, though, then I highly recommend Silent Sinner in Blue (a manga), followed by Cage in Lunatic Runagate (a short series of light novels). The plot is very confusing if you have 0 surface level knowledge on the series, but both have some of the best character writing in the entire series.

Also, do you enjoy fighting games? Touhou has a fair number of spinoffs that are fighting games, so you could play one of those if you're not interested in playing a bullet hell.

I recently got into fighting games, funnily enough. I started playing Guilty Gear Strive recently
In that case, Hisoutensoku is probably the best fighting game from a mechanical standpoint? However, that game is basically just an expansion pack to Scarlet Weather Rhapsody, so which one you go with depends on whether or not you want an actual story attached. Soku has a fairly active community iirc, so there's that to consider as well. There's also Antinomy of Common Flowers, which actually has a Switch version with an official translation, although it picks up plot points from the previous game, Urban Legend in Limbo, so it might be kinda confusing.

I'm no fighting game expert, so recommending fighting games is a bit hard, but iirc Soku and AoCF are broadly considered the "best" fighters in Touhou as a whole (they seem to be the most popular, anyways).

Soku goes hard yes. Calling its community active is underselling it. They modded the game to such an extend that you have ingame ranking, matchmaking, rollback netcoding and other goodies to stabilize the online gameplay of a rather old and dated (Soku was never intended to be played online extensivly, unmodded Soku is a nightmare to setup online).

I can link you the Soku international discord server if you want.

Soku goes hard yes. Calling its community active is underselling it. They modded the game to such an extend that you have ingame ranking, matchmaking, rollback netcoding and other goodies to stabilize the online gameplay of a rather old and dated (Soku was never intended to be played online extensivly, unmodded Soku is a nightmare to setup online).

I can link you the Soku international discord server if you want.
6,666 post on the thread, grats.

Several Peeves

* Defending yourself = Combative behavior

* Skyrim "innuendo" with no warnings on the tracker being worse than roasting someone and witch hunting them in same comment with 3 (4) warnings on the tracker.

* People sending bad off site messages, on site. (If its not something someone will get embarrassed with)

* Favoritism and Bias

* The mobile version of the site

"If I had staff this forum would be UNDER CONTROL"
6s9lqk.png

Back