• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Your Interpretation Of Azathoth?

TL DR (?): So in other words, what do you guys think? Do you interpret Azathoth in a similar way that most people do or do you perhaps have a radically different idea of what this Cosmic Horror is? Comment below. I'd like to know.

As an avid reader of HP Lovecraft and a huge fan of the Cthulhu Mythos aka "The Yog Sothothery" I am often involved in many discussions mostly involving the Gods or Mysterious Alien Entities in Question. Certain questions are repeated more often then not and one of them that I'm involved in over and over again is the interpretation of Azathoth.

As in: "How is an All-Powerful Entity like Azathoth an Idiot?" and I think this is just a misunderstanding brought upon because of Lovecraft's vague writing and the conflicting interpretations that many writers have had about the Entity.

From my understanding (and current headcanon) the title of "Blind Idiot God" should be viewed less as literal view and more as a human response to witness to something so VASTLY beyond mortal understanding that it leaves one not only shocked but insulted. Think of the way a religion interprets their All-Powerful Creator as how perfect or beautiful He/She/It is. What are the odds something so Ancient and that it predates our own World (or Universe) would look so aesthetically pleasing to us.

Entities like Dagon and Cthulhu are already Biologically Alien enough to where our minds either go mad by looking directly at them or faintly just by catching a glimpse of their True Form. So the idea of witnessing Azathoth, something superior, if you were to survive taking a gander of the thing, would not only leave you drop dead insane but likely flabbergasted by what you just saw.

That is if you weren't permanently absorbed to its Biomass, thus becoming a part of Azathoth Itself. I mean Azathoth Itself, that name isn't even its real name, it's just a name given to It by the Necronomicon to make sense of the Primal Chaos. Perhaps the absolute best way to describe the thing is calling it the Primal Chaos.

If we were to follow the most popular interpretation, I.E. the idea of the Cosmic Dreamer Scenario, the way I interpret the thing is that our Universe/Multiverse is just a puny little thought amidst the infinitely massive collective that is Azathoth's Mind. There is no true way of meeting, talking, or fighting the Entity since we're just all immeasurably tiny fragments of Fictions Most Powerful and Frightening Eldritch Abomination. A collection of thoughts with our own minds, dreams, and lives to live but all of them are a part of It. If Azathoth does have an Absolute Will or preference its probably so vague and abstract we wouldn't be able to know or conceive of it. Perhaps the only way to Truly meet the Entity as it is would be is for the Dream to finally End by Itself.

Maybe in the same way a Dream Ends once the dreamer is aware that he is a dream, perhaps one day enough individuals and groups will realize the meaninglessness of it all and we'll stare into the Truth of Oblivion, and as the Collective of the Dreaming God, Azathoth will wake and all of Existence will end as a byproduct of It waking from Its own dream.

Every molecule, every god, every horror, every thought, every mortal, every element, fragment, idea, concept, life, moment will Cease to be and the Entity that was will be alone again until perhaps another time when it chooses to Dream. Because Azathoth Is, Azathoth Was, and in the End Azathoth is the ONLY thing that ever will be and beyond.

His palms are sweaty.

Knees weak, arms are heavy.

There's vomit on his sweater, already.

Mom's spaghetti.

On a serious note, a good chunk of Lovecraft's writing is about how fractional every "perspective" of these entities truly is. Hell, that's pretty much the entirety of Through the Gates of the Silver Key. Even what we know as "Yog-Sothoth" is a fractured, broke, infinitely small idea of what said entity truly is. Same applies to Azathoth.

With Azathoth as the be-all-end-all of everything in the Mythos, it seems to me like the entire idea behind the entity is that it only seems "mindless" due to only being a fraction of what it truly is. On technicality alone, it's already omniscient, as Yog-Sothoth is omniscient and only a part of it. "Azathoth" is really everything in the setting. Thinking of "Azathoth the blind idiot god" as all Azathoth is will only lead to incorrect assumptions.

One wouldn't say "Stephen Hawking is an idiot because his left big toe is dumb". It would be nonsense.

And people would say things about you.

Not very nice things.

Which would be correct.

Because you'd be a moron.

Hypnos is a 1-A Reality Warping and cosmic-aware deity who rules over the Dreamlands themselves.

And even he had no ******* clue of the true extent of the Outer Gods' power and scope, instead believing in the In-Universe mythology about them and fooling himself into thinking he could take them on.

Got mindf*cked and turned to stone.

Hypnos was stupid.

Don't be Hypnos.

I see him as just a cube. A small, meaningless, harmless looking cube. Nobody on the planet gives a shit about it. However within it contains something... else. Unknowably that cube that nobody knows, or cares about, is god. The dreamer. The cube was the first thing that came to mind in existence. Nobody thinks it as much, however a small group knows it is the binder of everything and the one whose sleep keeps the world turning.

That's what I personally view Azathoth as.

@Matthew that's actually so correct, he's 1-A, he controls the Dreamlands, but when the outer gods actually took thought of him he turned to stone.

I see only a Sleeping spaghetti-thing.

That being said i going to made a downgrade thread for HP lovecraft verse (fun and game thread OFC).

Due to the fact that Top tier is a Spaghetti so everyone in the Verse will dowgrade to tier 11.

My interpretation? Probably just vast, formless insanity. His "form," to me seems like more of an abstraction, something so that you can understand the basic nature of the entity. But I mean, if you "looked" at him you probably couldn't see anything, even if you lived in a higher dimension. It would be more of like a mentally overwhelming presence, something you couldn't escape. I also agree that he's probably meant to represent something panentheistic; if you could detect the "presence," at the heart of his being, it would be more like looking at his still-beating heart, which doesn't really have a mind or thoughts of its own.

Aeyu said:
My interpretation? Probably just vast, formless insanity. His "form," to me seems like more of an abstraction, something so that you can understand the basic nature of the entity. But I mean, if you "looked" at him you probably couldn't see anything, even if you lived in a higher dimension. It would be more of like a mentally overwhelming presence, something you couldn't escape. I also agree that he's probably meant to represent something panentheistic; if you could detect the "presence," at the heart of his being, it would be more like looking at his still-beating heart, which doesn't really have a mind or thoughts of its own.
Booooorrriiinnngggg

Azathoth is just some nerd writing fanfic on the internet of his world

He is one of those: "5 more minutes" people. He is just sleeping in his bed having a dream. If something bothers him he ends up waking up and everything will be gone. You can be killed in your dream, but it's of no concern to us in reality. So existence would be nothing more but a shadow of Azathoth's memories which he reflects in this dream of his.

Azathoth is the last remnant of an advanced alien civilization who was crippled in an ancient war, and is believed to be a god due to its incomprehensibly advanced technology.

... REEEEEEEEEEEEE.

I have a book actually published by Arkham House that makes Azathoth out to sound like that wimpy rich kid who thinks he's top stuff but the moment he actually starts doing anything, he gets curbstomped by everyone else.

Also he lives at the center of the Earth and is made of Radiation apparently.

Darkanine said:
I have a book actually published by Arkham House that makes Azathoth out to sound like that wimpy rich kid who thinks he's top stuff but the moment he actually starts doing anything, he gets curbstomped by everyone else.
Also he lives at the center of the Earth and is made of Radiation apparently.
This is not surprising, considering I have Arkham House books that say things such as the Outer Gods were created as a slave race and had an intergalactic war, along with the Elder Things having high-end 1-A tech.

Wasn't the "aliens did history" thing always a part of Lovecraft tho? Pharaoh Nyar and the Elder Things doing their elder things

Yeah, but Lovecraft actually has gods with no scientific explanation behind them. Some EU writers want to give scientific explanations for everything.

Back