• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Your Interpretation Of Azathoth?

This is not surprising, considering I have Arkham House books that say things such as the Outer Gods were created as a slave race and had an intergalactic war, along with the Elder Things having high-end 1-A tech.

Oh cool, I have the same book then. Or at least, a book that references the same event.

Speaking of bad EU. There's a comic where H.P. Lovecraft was actually trying to spread the idea of the Outer Gods so they could gain a presence in our universe so they could eventually conquer the universe. The outer-gods are eventually killed by Drizzt Do'urde and the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Or something like that.

I think there's a Lovecraft comic by Alan Morre where Cthulhu and the GOOs are children of the Deep Ones from the future.

I love Alan Moore and I love Lovecraft, I was very confused on why Alan Moore chose that direction for his story, especially that defeats the whole purpose of what the Outer Gods are about. The Outer Gods may be grand figures described as "The Archetypes" but they aren't like the Classical Gods of Myth or The Chaos Gods of Warhammer where they rely on either human belief or mortals to act out their will and nature to survive and exist. The Outer Gods literally are, were, and always will be. They were around far longer then our universe, let alone race was around, they will still be here long after they're gone. What in the Holy Hell do they gain from conquering our Universe? Nyarlathotep turning into a drug dealer and having a woman impregnated is totally something Nyarlathotep WOULD indeed do but it feels so weird how they place that specific event as a vital part of the Outer Gods plan.

Again love Alan Moore, and I get that he was trying to do a whole "subversion" of Lovecrafts Tropes but I'm not too much of a fan of it. It is worth of a laugh though. I actually felt From Hell had more hopless and dreadful themes that were more akin to something out of a Carl Jung/Lovecraftian Nightmare. Something I would have never expected to read from a Jack The Ripper story.

I think it is important to note that everything described about the Ultimate Gods and Azathoth uses a recurring linguistic motif. These are the descriptors "blind, tenebrous, voiceless, mindless, idiot". None of these descriptions when applied to them mean what people often interpret them at face value. These words are chosen as vague and strange ideas that are all closely associated with one another, and most importantly to the nature of Ultimate Void and Chaos.
Blind - doesn't mean that the beings lack sight, relates more to their uncaring nature
Tenebrous - shadowy, vague, dark, black, unknown
Voiceless - another description for the general uncaring, indifferent nature, as they care not for communicating with lower beings (with Nyarlathotep doing it for them)
Mindless - this is NOT statement on their intelligence. Contextually, when applied to these beings, it refers to their actions and chaotic nature, and that anything they do is perceived by us to be non-sensical and "mindless"
Idiot - a weird one, but complements the others. Related to ideas of chaos

Back