• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

A new Android store application for the wiki?

Perhaps valued respect threads of popular franchises and pertinent information that would help the viewers get at least a basic understanding of the current character ratings such as AP, Tiering System, lifting strength, striking strength, speed and durability.

I agree with the category suggestions.

@DontTalk

Well, the categories that we definitely need links for are probably "Verses"/fictional franchises, "Powers and Abilities", and "Terms".

Possibly "Characters" and "Weapons" as well, although the former contains several thousand entries, which may make it too extensive to be easily overviewed.

The more relevant audience-interest subcategories, such as "Anime Characters", and "Comicbook Characters" suffer from much of the same problem, but are not a bad idea othervise.

"Male Characters", and "Female Characters" on the other hand do not, intuitively speaking, seem nearly as interesting and necessary for a casual viewer.

I do think that we need a brief description text in the vein of:

"Welcome!

VS Battles is the world's largest English language wiki for indexing character statistics, featuring a wide variety of fictional franchises from all types of media.

Please enjoy your visit."

Or something like that.

However, if that is not possible, I suppose that there isn't much that we can do about it.

@TheMightyRegulator

The more relevant explanation blogs are supposed to be linked to in their related verse pages, so as long as the visitors have the "Verses" category accessible, that should hopefully not be a problem..

I just got back from an exhausting, 12 Hour long Bus trip, and I'm practically dead, but reading over this Wiki I must say I like the idea. It would increase our views and relevance even further.

Sadly, I don't know anything about web-design and complex coding, so I can't do much help in making the front page.

@Matthew

Well, it does not seem to require any coding, but we do need to try to make it look appealing.

DontTalk asked for help with finding good images for the various sections, for example.

OK, Terms I will add and I will leave out female/male characters.

I agree characters is too large, that is why I would only put the media in, which are still large but to less of an extent. Just so that a complete listing exists.

Aside from that categories such as "Humans", "Aliens" or "Supreme Beings" could be more limited interesting options.

Well, for the text I have nothing against it, just that I don't know how to add it (I can imagine that one can't because the page possibly has a strict standard format since it has to be used for the app).

I will start adding the categories for now and we can do improvements and changes later on (Just because I want to get things done, given that I just happen to be motivated today).

@DontTalk

Regarding the "Featured Content", perhaps we could simply link to the most relevant explanation pages there, such as the tiering system, and the other pages linked under "Important Information" in our regular front page?

Thank you for the help in any case.

Btw: I updated my last few posts.

Alright, I checked out a few wikia's yesterday to see how this site could implement a curated main page. Here are some examples. Berserk wikia and the JoJo wikia

Screenshots from Berserk mai page

Screenshots from JoJo mai page

One thing that we can see, is that linking to the rules on the main page is something that we can do. We can even include a warning about spoilers if need be judging from the screenshots. Featuring featured content as DontTalk proposes would be a good idea, but maybe having the most known verses as featured content would be more effective.

More interesting features I could see is a forum feed (inc me xD) and even a blog feed. Both sound quite usefull as a forum feed could make monitering content a bit more easier and the blog feed would be quite essential for calculation team to just scout for calcs and leave feedback.

@AMM

Thank you for the information.

Although isn't this just for casual visitors? I thought that it was not even possible to post in forums and blogs, or edit pages from the mobile interface? As such, wouldn't they be unnecessary? Or have I misunderstood?

Also, most of our blogs are calculations. I doubt that they are of much interest to said casual visitors.

On another note: In order for categories to be listable the category pages have to be created it seems (in other words a piece of text has to be put on them). So I will go around and do that with only the most basic description for all verse categories that weren't already created.

@DontTalk

Well, I do not like the Jojo wiki's mobile interface, with lots of video uploads.

Trending articles might be an idea, but will likely also clutter the page too much.

@DontTalk

Okay. Thank you for the help, although I think that I have fixed that previously for most of the category pages.

Also, this image should preferably be included at the top of the page.

One thing I should probably point out at this point:

At least to my understanding the curated main page follows a very strict setup. I believe except adding to the "featured content", "featured categories" and "optional categories" section, with the options the tool (the thing that comes up when one clicks Edit Mobile Main page") gives nothing is editable.

(as mentioned that is likely that way since the app developers integrate the page into the app later on)

I also have a suggestion: Given that I add the verse categories per hand either way I wonder if we should restrict ourself to listing verses with more than 5 charactes or in other words notable franchises.

That way one has a better chance of actually finding what one searches for, since they then don't suffer from the problem with the large amount of entries that much anymore. I have decided to instead index all verses, after the correct media using categories.

I do like the ideas, and I support the category / other linked pages suggested earlier.

Off-hand comment, but i am surprised that DT is actually doing quite a lot for us to do this App thing.

Though i thought he was busy doing something on his end? Hmm...

Antvasima said:
Actually, all that we need to do is design an appropriate mobile front page. The wikia app development team would do the rest.
Alright then. Thanks. I support the decision if that's the case.

I'm not particularly tech-savvy, nor do I own an Android device, so unfortunately I've little insight to offer that hasn't already been said.

Would we have to rework just the main page to be compatible with becoming an app, or do we have to work on more than just that?

000screenshot1
000screenshot2
^More or less all we have to do/are able to do is to add a few articles/categories to stuff in a pre-layouted seperate front page for smartphones.

So I have finished sorting the first 200 verse pages into media categories (all to including J). The rest I will do tomorrow, as I am going to sleep for now.

I have posted 2 screenshots on how the page currently looks for smartphone, since the desktop view is always not quite to scale.

Non the less here is the desktop view of the smartphone version of the frontpage so that you can get a full view on what is on it.

With that I want to ask again for suggestions of fitting images for the Squares on the front page.

It looks real nice. Just a suggestion. Would it be possible to change the page pics, or no? Because having Ah My Goddess and Game of Thrones as the pics for two things may be confusing. If we can't change it then so be it, but I have an idea for the replacements if otherwise.

See my comment above. I really just wait for suggestions for which pictures I should replace them with.

Characters: IDK

Anime: Dragon Ball

Manga: Bleach

Comic: DC

Cartoon: Steven Universe (Though Adventure Time works)

Game: Pokemon (or Undertale)

Light Novel: fine as it is

Visual Novel: fine as it is, though I'd personally think Dangangropa fits best

TV Verses: Supernatural

Book Verses: Fine as it is (or Harry Potter or Percy Jackson)

Movie Verses: Either Star Wars or the Marvel Cinematic Universe

Powers and Abilities: Energy Manipulation

The rest are fine as they are. I don't have anything for important.

Hmm... can I get specific pictures?

Dragonballs verse page picture for example won't work since it isn't approximately a square (side proportions of the fields are 1:1, rest is cropped).

For Visual Novels I wouldn't take Danganropa, since, at least in my experience, it is by far not as well known as When they Cry or Fate/Stay Night.

For Movies I would tend for Star Wars.

I didn't know Fate was a VN. Definitely fate. I'll give you specifics for pics when I get home though. I'm at dinner right now with my stepfather and ironically using my phone to do this.

Again, thanks a lot to DontTalk for all of the help.

Given their current popularity, I suggest using a Marvel Comics image for the Comicbook Characters category, a One Piece image for the Manga Characters category link, Steven Universe for the Cartoon Characters link, Game of Thrones or Harry Potter for the Book Characters, and Star Wars for the Movie Characters.

For video games, Maybe Mario, Zelda, or Final Fantasy?

Maybe To Aru or Fate Stay Night for visual novels?

Anime is also trickier, since it recurrently overlaps with manga. Perhaps it is redundant for the front page? Alternately, we could use Dragon Ball.

I also suggest using the text "Anime Characters" instead of "Anime Verses", and so forth, as "Verses" is a made-up term that casual viewers will not intuitively relate to.

Oh yeah, same as Ant. Thanks for the big help in all this, DT. ^^;

Hmm. I say that what Ant said for Comicbooks, Manga, Cartoons, and Books sound reasonable. They do sound very popular atm.

To Aru for VN's? I say that can be used. Then again, it's one of the only VN's besides maybe the Fate series that can be used and of what i know so.....yeah? Maybe either To Aru or Fate/Stay Night can be good.

I can't say much for that of VG's, animes and manga's, tho...

Okay. Sorry. Then To Aru for light novels, and Fate for visual novels.

I am fine with an image from Supernatural for TV series.

Back