• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

A new Android store application for the wiki?

Sorry for the mistake on there as well, Prom.

But yeah, we can go To Aru with LN's, Fate (probably Fate/Stay Night one most likely) for VN's.

How's that sound.

I would prefer if we remove the videos list from the main mobile page in any case, as it clutters the page severely.

Should we also make some sort of landing article specifically for the mobile page? Maybe something at the top as well, so it catches their attention and introduces them to the wiki itself since mobile has a preset format.

Maybe. Maybe not.

It would be better to include the introduction text that I wrote above into the front page, but if that is impossible, I am not certain that an entire page for such a small notice is entirely necessary.

Unfortunately theres not too much I can help out with here without reiterating what others have already said, but the examples of series to have on the homepage seems good to me.

Antvasima said:
Maybe. Maybe not.

It would be better to include the introduction text that I wrote above into the front page, but if that is impossible, I am not certain that an entire page for such a small notice is entirely necessary.
Well, our current main page introduces VSBW as it is, so I thought condensing that may have some value. If we only put articles up there, they may be meaningless to people who have no experience with a similar system.

Okay. Do you have a suggestion for the text explanation that we should put in such an introduction page?

A short description of how we tier, followed by a summary of the most pertinent rules and a final redirect to the forum section (because it seems we do not have that linked anywhere on the main page, so it may not be apparent we have one) and/or main page again.

Well, again, it depends on whether or not people using the mobile interface can even edit pages, or write posts in the forum. If not, it would be redundant.

OK, lets go through the suggestions:

Anime: Used picture by cal

Manga: Used this.

Comics: No change to this point. Please suggest a specific picture to use. Thanks.

Cartoons: Used pic suggested by cal, but due to cropping it to a square the writing is cut of, so maybe we should use another one.

Visual Novels: Used picture suggested by cal, but maybe we should use a picture with characters instead of just writing, since more appealing for a viewer

TV Series: Used this since it was avaiable. If someone gives me a picture of supernatural I will replace it (the supernatural picture I found on their verse page didn't work since it wasn't approximately a square and just writing isn't very appealing in the first place)

Games: Used this picture of Link.

Light Novels: No change, since To Aru seemed to be agreed on.

Books: Used Harry potter, with this image.

Movies: Used Star Wars, with this image.

Powers and abilities: Used picture on the energy manipulation page, as suggested.

With this we have left Terms, Important, Characters and weapons.

About the naming: Since the categories (except the characters category) lead to the verse pages, I would consider it unfitting to name them "Anime Characters" etc.

Just naming them "Anime", Manga", "Comicbooks" etc. might be a idea?

I am fine with naming them as "Anime", Manga", "Comicbooks", etcetera.

I also agree that Doctor Who is a more fitting/prominent image for the TV series link than Supernatural.

I have also asked in the Community Central forums if it is possible to remove the trending articles, and videos sections, as they clutter the page considerably.

I have not received an answer though.

It might also be a good idea to move the categories "Weapons", "Powers and Abilities", "Terms", and "Important" from "Optional Categories" to "Featured Categories", as that is where you placed the "Characters" category.

The difference between featured categories and optional categories is actually not just placing, but also functionality.

In the Featured categories section is made so that you create one button/picture (the characters picture in this case) and if clicked on you go to a list of the things that fall under that (in the case the page with the Anime Characters, Comic Characters etc. categories). And once you click on one of those you go to the category content.

So the hierachy in that is Folder > Subfolders > content

The "other categories" section on the other hand lists the categories directly, so that if one clicks on the corresponding button one directly gets to the content of the category.

So the hierachy here is Folder > content

Hence the Characters category is the only one that can and has to go into featured, since it lists the subcategories/subfolders "Anime characters", "Manga Characters" etc., while all others jump directly to content.

The layout in the end does not seem to show any difference between the two on the top level (except that the featured are the first in the list).

Okay. Never mind then.

Here is an image that can be used for the comicbooks category by the way: [1]

Hey guys,

I admit I haven't read the whole thread, so I might be completely misguided here, but just in case it helps:

App users won't be able to create or edit pages, so instructions on how to do that aren't relevant to them. You'll have two completely separate main pages: Your current one, that can stay as it is and contain the rules you need on it, and your mobile main page, which will only be shown to app users and those reading in a mobile browser (on their phones, where they're also less likely to make edits).

The main purpose for your mobile main page is to showcase your best content and to make sure app users can find it easily.

I hope this is relevant information. If not, feel free to ignore :)

Yes. Thank you very much for the information.

I have also received some more good news from Wikia:

"Hi Antvasima,

I have good news: Since your community is very popular and consistently well maintained, you've been approved for an app. It can take a few weeks to set up, but a fully curated mobile main page will speed up that process. Your regular main page doesn't need to be changed at all, it can stay as it is. The mobile main page, which you can curate with that tool, will be your main page in the app, and will be shown to all users visiting the main page in a mobile browser. Most users who edit the wiki visit it from desktop, so they'll continue to see the same main page they see now.

Once the app is set up, it'll be available both for Android and iOS, and it will have Discussions, Wikia's newest app feature. If you're not familiar with it yet, you might want to find out more here: http://community.wikia.com/wiki/Help:Discussions .

If you have any questions about Discussions or the apps process in general, I'm happy to answer!

Best,

Eva Niroomand Community Support Manager"

One rather important issue though:

If the application users are going to be able to participate in discussions, we likely need to provide links for the Site Rules, Discussion Rules and Versus Thread Rules pages at the bottom of the mobile site's front page.

Here are some suggestions for images that we could use for the rules buttons.

I rather liked this one.

That one looks funny but seems a bit forceful.

Ant's suggestion doesn't get as much of the vibe of that for me and it's okay enough IMO.

The image that I suggested likely needs to be modified so the white background turns transparent though.

Any ideas what should be done at the moment? It seems that the Wiki staff have approved your request for the creation of an app for this site.

Well, DontTalk has continued to sort all of the verse pages into categories, so he will likely not be able to help out with updating the comicbooks image, and inserting links to the rules pages, until after he is finished.

You could help out by reading up on this page, to see if the application users will contribute to our regular forums?

Apps users probably won't find their way to your regular forums, which aren't all that mobile-friendly, but they have Discussions to talk. You'll find that the conversations on Discussions may be a bit different in pace, tone, and topics as your forum discussions - or at least this is what we've seen with other communities. App users tend to respond faster, but type shorter posts, because no one really likes to type a lot on their phone keyboards. That often makes Discussions feel a bit like a feature in between a chat and a regular forum.

It has its own rules page, too, since we need to be sure the rules can be read easily on every possible mobile device. That doesn't mean the regular wiki rules don't apply to Discussions users, but not all of them may be relevant to them, and you might find you'll need a few entirely new rules that only apply to Discussions.

This is just a heads-up that there's a specific rules page meant for Discussions users that you'll want to customize. It may be enough just to put all the rules that are relevant for Discussions users in there - but you'll see what works for you once the apps are ready.

Okay. Thank you for the information.

I would greatly appreciate if you could inform us about the URL for the app forum rules, in case the page is editable.

Okay. Thank you for the help.

Seeing that you guys are already fully in the swing of preparing for the app, I've gone ahead and switched on Discussions for you. The app will still take some time before it hits the app stores, but if you want to, you can now already customize your Discussions guidelines and think about whether you want to place a link to Discussions here on the wiki somewhere.

The app users won't need a link, they'll have Discussions as a central feature along with the articles and mobile main page, but desktop users and mobile browser users can talk in Discussions just as well - if there's a way for them to find it from the main wiki.

Back