• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Beginning of Series Naruto Speed

Damage3245

He/Him
VS Battles
Administrator
Calculation Group
To preface, some profiles currently are rated with Hypersonic speed due to this calc which currently hasn't been evaluated.

Examples of this (from what I can tell) are:

And possibly others.

However there are reasons why I think the calc supporting those ratings doesn't fit in with the verse.

During Rock Lee's and and Dosu's fight, Dosu says this to Rock Lee when he attacks him:

ÕÉøÒü«µèÇÒüîÚ½ÿÚǃÒü¬Òéë

Òâ£Òé»ÚüöÒü«µèÇÒü»Úƒ│ÚǃÒüá

Which essentially comes out to mean:

If your technique is fast

Our technique is the speed of sound

Basically implying that Rock Lee's base combat speed (no Gates used) in the Chunin Exams arc is lower than the speed of sound to a degree.

On top of that, Rock Lee's attacks appear to be drawn with consistent supersonic booms but only after he uses the Eight Gates technique against Gaara.

Also, some characters have appeared to be FTE sometimes in these early chapters but the Speed page states that Subsonic to be faster than the eye.

Feats trump statements, so Dosu's statement is irrelevant other than as a general "early genin are around soundspeed" view of things.

Rock Lee's attacks are drawn with vague speedlines and afterimages in order to show to the audience that he is much faster in comparison to everyone else fighting at the time. They don't establish any limit on his speed, much less that he is only Supersonic via the Eight Gates.

I would translate it as "Your technique is fast, buddy.... but our technique is the speed of sound".

Also, this is a No Gates and weights on Rock Lee, but I agree either way.

There are a lot of feats from peoples of Genin level more than Supersonic. This is really dumb to be honest, no offense to you

I don't think Rock lee couldn't dodge it due to being too slow

I think as it was shown to us during the Kabuto exchange, they had no idea how the sound ninja attacked which is why he was incapable of dodging it.

@Kep; I agree that feats are important, but doesn't the fact that they're using sound-based attacks and overwhelming their opponents indicate that Genin generally aren't Hypersonic?

I recall that Sasuke dodges a sound-based attack once, but only after he uses the power of the Curse Seal.

The very next arc has Temari perform a High Hypersonic feat casually, and there are two Hypersonic feats that are scalable; Naruto's feat and Kakashi's feat while holding back in the bell tests; Sasuke showed the ability to track that same casual Kakashi far better than Sakura and Naruto, and Sasuke grows in speed after the training exercises to rival Haku.

Going by that same logic, Tayuya is also Subsonic.

@Kep; I'm not proposing any changes to Temari's 2nd key which has the High Hypersonic calc.

If characters have feats, and if characters have proper scaling, that's one thing. But some of the profiles I linked don't have any justifications in their keys.

As for Kakashi's feat, that's one not linked on the verse page from what I can tell. Not sure where it is.

Thanks M3X. However that also appears to be another calc which hasn't been evaluated.

>The very next arc has Temari perform a High Hypersonic feat casually

When she blows away Tayuya's sound waves? Has that even been calced?

>and there are two Hypersonic feats that are scalable; Naruto's feat and Kakashi's feat while holding back in the bell tests;

Have either of those been calced because reading them doesn't look that impressive at all.

IMadeThisOn8-1-2017 said:
>The very next arc has Temari perform a High Hypersonic feat casually
When she blows away Tayuya's sound waves? Has that even been calced?
yea

it came out to be like mach 30 if i recall correctly

There's also the feat of Gaara's sand automatically blocking explosives from point blank range but not being able to keep up with unweighted Lee i think

And I didn't say you were. I'm saying that Hypersonic is a relatively consistent power climb for this early stage of the series, since the next arc after Chunin Exams has a high-chunin level character perform a casual High Hypersonic feat.

We only dismiss a feat as an outlier if it is literally completely irreconciliable with the character's normal standing. Wave Arc Naruto being Hypersonic isn't.

TataHakai said:
>The very next arc has Temari perform a High Hypersonic feat casuallyWhen she blows away Tayuya's sound waves? Has that even been calced?
yea
it came out to be like mach 30 if i recall correctly

There's also the feat of Gaara's sand automatically blocking explosives from point blank range but not being able to keep up with unweighted Lee i think
Where's the calc?

Also, Gaara blocking an explosion in the past isn't quantifiable when we don't see if Gaara moves before or after the explosion sets off. You can argue the sand had begun moving before the explosion.

Also, Gaara blocking an explosion in the past isn't quantifiable when we don't see if Gaara moves before or after the explosion sets off. You can argue the sand had begun moving before the explosion.
This was calced and alrerady being used

Where's the calc?

Which one?

And Gaara's sand only reacts to present danger, the bombs aren't a danger until they explode

M3X said:
This was calced and alrerady being used
This wrong

Detonation velocity isn't accepted for explosion speed calcs, because the detonation velocity has almost nothing to do with the speed of the explosion.

This is what is accepted on explosion speed. By: DontTalkDT

Gaara's sand has never shown precognition or the ability to start moving before the danger itself. If it could, Lee would have had a harder time breaching his defenses.

Yeah the speed of the explosion need to be calced using our calculator but the rating would need change, just the mach value being lower

Man these downgrade threads are crazy.

Word of advice to anyone who wants to upgrade or downgrade Naruto; the most important thing in calcs for Naruto is its context

Sound attacks in fiction can obviously be faster than sound....we have a light speed character in DB super and everyone was surprised even tho light speed has been around from feats without statements

Gaara's sand was stated to have it's own independent will and actions and nothing ever states it solely reacts to present danger.

Nothing really disproves that it can act before a danger, it acts on any danger and an obvious reveal of a suicide bomber is enough danger for it to act beforehand.

That fight was inconsistent tbh. Base Lee (Weighted) was Blitzing Sasuke casually before even using the Gates and that Sasuke was capable of outrunning point blank explosions.

The Hypersonic Feats are far more consistent than not. On top of this, you have this scan:

https://**********.com/manga/Naruto/0057-007.png

Which casts even more doubt ob the validity of them not being Above Mach speeds.

There is also still the matter about whether the calc currently being used is accurate.

It assumes Naruto crossed 30.273 meters in 0.0082 seconds. Not 100% sure what the timeframe is based on and how we know Naruto crossed that full distance for the feat.

Back