• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Blastoise vs Charizard

Actually, he can have those together if the other one is a Scraggy, but the point is that Charoxard doesn't have a way to access Thunder Punch. and Calaca himself doesn't seem to be knowledgeable about pokemon.

Of course not, I'm a nerd

Enough derail. If Charizard can't use Thunder Punch then Blastoise wins for my research above. He has ways to actually capitalize his weakness and can counter and cancel the amps sans the speed ones. But considering Charizard won't do jack unless he relies on physical combat, Blastoise can try to blast him from point blank.

Before you say "Charizard lacks Thunderpunch" there should be a thread to decide whether TMs/HM's and tutor moves are to be used or not as I believe we decided to allow them. If not, I plan to make a thread to allow them. Currently based on the file, Charizard has Thunderpunch.

Blastoise is a much bulkier Pokémon that will take more than a few Thumderpunches to take down. Charizard is a relatively frail Pokémon with his main advantage being speed. However, seeing how that is equalized Blastoise is probably taking this one.

HMs and TM moves shouldn't be acquirable without the help of a Trainer.

If these are just two trainer-less pokemon dueling, then neither of them should possess HM or TM moves, as they require the physical respective HM or TM disks to learn from in order to know them.

Anyways, Blastoise should take this. Type Advantage, a boost in Water Attacks via Rain Dance― which Charizard can only learn Sunny Day via HM/TM, while Blastoise learns it naturally. Then Blastoise has a healing move, Aqua Ring. Blastoise takes this via type advantage, versatility, and the fact that the flame on Charizard's tail is Charizard's heart.

@Modernmyrmidon

Speedblitzing/Out-speeding another pokemon usually means increased chances for Critical Hits.

Not sure if we can apply these mechanics to a match though.

Also, since we're using Mega Evolutions, both respective Pokemon should have their X/Y―OR/AS movesets. SwSh movesets shouldn't be used yet― since Blastoise isn't... oh, can't say that. :x

No. Speed determimes who hits first. And you're saying critical hits are game mechanics but TMs and HMs aren't? Pokémon needing TMs/HMs is probably just game mechanics. For example, none of the trainers in the anime use those on their Pokémon and the Pokémon still have a wide variety of moves they can use.

@Modernmyrmidon

Yes, physically hitting a turtle inspired off of a literal Tank is a smart move, especially when Charizard will be in Point-Blank Hydro Pump range― along with Bite, which, last time I checked, Turtles don't let go. Don't forget Rapid Spin either. Blastoise was designed to counter Charizard, as Charizard to Venusaur, and Venusaur to Blastoise. Charizard loses in this game of rock-paper-scissors, and due to a lack of move effectiveness, while a majority Blastoise's moves will be Super Effective. Mechanics or not, Charizard is weak to water-based moves, while Blastoise has a literal resistance to Fire Manipulation― and has more vulnerabilities than the Turtle― especially with his Tail-Flame heart. Once that goes out, Charizard dies. It's in his Pokedex entry if you don't believe me.

TM/HMs are portrayed as Move-Learning-Items which Trainers teach moves to their Pokemon. In this match, trainers aren't involved. Plus, HM/TMs are not that complex to have the word "Mechanic" slapped on them either, my 7 year old self could figure it out just fine.

I'm not sure if you can apply the Anime here, it's blatantly used as promo for the games. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Charizard flies in search of powerful opponents to battle, and its fire will burn hotter as it gains experience. Its fiery breath is capable of melting boulders, massive glaciers, and has been known to accidentally cause forest fires. In the past, Blast Bur was its signature move. Charizard typically inhabit mountains and valleys, such as the Charicific Valley in Johto. The anime has shown that only a weak Charizard would show off its power. It also showed that Charizard can swim underwater, with Pokémon Origins further showing that the flame on the tip of the tail can still keep burning underwater.

First of all, calm down. I'm not arguing that Charizard would win. I agree that Blastoise probably takes this. The reason I brought up the anime is because pretty much every Pokémon's profile is a composite one, from what I've heard at least. What I'm saying is the argument that they need trainers to access all of their moves is just included from a gameplay perspective. "Game mechanics" is a term that refers to something that is irrelevant since it is just included for the gameplay's benefit. For example, Goombas being able to hurt Mario neither makes Goombas 4-C nor makes Mario 9-B. Regardless of the complexity of the word "mechanic" it's literally a term used on this wiki. So basically, the game mechanic behind TMs is that the creators of the game wouldn't let the player have like 15+ moves at a time, and because they wouldn't let the player's Pokémon (Charmander for example) have super powerful moves right off the bat (in the case of the example, a move such as Fire Blast).So the player has to use TMs to manage their Pokémon's moves. So what I mean is that the anime shows that Pokémon are able to do moves on their own without trainers. There are other spin-off Pokémon games that show Pokémon able to use naturally that in the main games could only be taught as TMs.

Rather Blastoise.

Speed may be nice and everything, but statistic wise, the gap isn't even that big. Plus, SBA gives Blastoise the range advantage as they start kilometers away from each other and Charizard's win conditions relies in essentially engaging a close combat, which also isn't an outright win scenario by itself as Blastoise isn't what you would call defenseless either.

Blastoise has pretty much the upper hand here.

Edited.

Back