• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Changing the Versus Thread One-Shot Gap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is that a oneshot problem or a human durability problem, though?
Honestly not even sure if that calc is valid to begin with, given that punches require proper body technique and training to pull off right.

What I'm seeing is mostly Huell taking advantage of a chaotic situation and putting his hand in the right place at the right time and snatching the cigarette. That isn't a punch. Heck, that isn't even a speed feat.

Moving this to the staff discussion board...

So I'm gonna take a shot in the dark and assume that no, you don't have to be thousands of times stronger than the opponent to One-Shot them.

That's not the case in ficiton, so you will have to make a whole separate CRT for it, though I doubt it will get anywhere really, given our strict policies on chip damage even with speed involved. We don't accept damage accumulation over time either.
So...is that the only case where we don't allow an irl phenomenon to take place in a vs battle?

However, that's just incorrect. Ordinary humans punching at ordinary human speeds can get decently into 9-C
But that calc is KE using a 475 lbs man, I did a KE calc using the average weight of a human with the highest end of our average human speed and got just over 104.75 joules, which is near baseline athletic human

We probably just need to move our upper Tiering Boundary for 10-B up by 5 joules and decrease the multiplier accordingly

But that calc is KE using a 475 lbs man, I did a KE calc using the average weight of a human with the highest end of our average human speed and got just over 104.75 joules, which is near baseline athletic human

We probably just need to move our upper Tiering Boundary for 10-B up by 5 joules and decrease the multiplier accordingly
That involves changing tier boundaries entirely (Which will need its own CRT, it can't be done here) and still doesn't tell us how far we'd need to go to one-shot even then.

That involves changing tier boundaries entirely (Which will need its own CRT, it can't be done here)
True

and still doesn't tell us how far we'd need to go to one-shot even then.
Well we could just use our 10-B to 9-C difference multiplier again, the whole reason it’s being called into question here is because “regular” humans can punch at 9-C levels, but that isn’t the case based on my post above

Okay. What did DontTalk and Agnaa think, if they have responded here?

But to be completely honest, I don't really think this is necessary to change the current 7.5x gap

A one shot table for specific parts of the body would be more plausible than making 7.5 the standard for the entire body.
Not even remotely so, simply because of the inconsistencies of durability in fiction treating all parts of the body linearly and making them all the same durability. IRL you'd suffer massive internal damage if you took a punch directly regardless of how strong you were, because our organs aren't solid bricks of steel, they're very fragile bags of flesh, yet in fiction characters do gut punches and punches to the face and head on a regular basis, often times with 3-A levels of power, and their internal organs have to survive said blunt-force trauma otherwise they'd literally be dead within seconds after they land blows on each other.

And again, the multiplier is explicitly for VS matches only, in no conceivable way can this be applied in-verse.

We got a 7.5 gap from the difference between human and street level. But we all know no average human would automatically be defeated by just one hit from someone who's street level

We got a 7.5 gap from the difference between human and street level. But we all know no average human would automatically be defeated by just one hit from someone who's street level
Define "automatically be defeated".

Because the way I see it, "automatically be defeated" means the power gap is so great that not only will the weaker character lose almost instantly but will also suffer considerable damage to their own body in the process to the point where they will no longer be able to fight let alone get back up and could possibly end up going into critical condition. Bullets and pointy weapons don't count because piercing damage.

Define "automatically be defeated".

Because the way I see it, "automatically be defeated" means the power gap is so great that not only will the weaker character lose almost instantly but will also suffer considerable damage to their own body in the process to the point where they will no longer be able to fight let alone get back up and could possibly end up going into critical condition. Bullets and pointy weapons don't count because piercing damage.
Automatically be defeated In my view is the damage received is so great that someone would die or go comatose. They wouldn't be alive or conscious for another second after the hit. This is what most people think of one shot (immediate death).

Automatically be defeated In my view is the damage received is so great that someone would die or go comatose. They wouldn't be alive or conscious for another second after the hit. This is what most people think of one shot (immediate death).
You don't necessarily have to suffer mortal wounds for it to be considered a one-shot, just that the character has to be damaged well enough to no longer have any strength left to fight back, willpower not included.

You don't necessarily have to suffer mortal wounds for it to be considered a one-shot, just that the character has to be damaged well enough to no longer have any strength left to fight back, willpower not included.
I see. But when you put it that way. It still take sat least more than one 7.5 times stronger hit to be lethal till that point.

According to the search engine the amount of energy that the human body can withstand before passing out is 2000 pounds more than 8000 newtons. Why not use this as the limit?

According to the search engine the amount of energy that the human body can withstand before passing out is 2000 pounds more than 8000 newtons. Why not use this as the limit?
This is pressure, not joules.

Time and time again we have stressed that pressure alone is not quantifiable within our joule-based Tiering System.

And if we were to assume 2000 lbs travelled over a foot, it wouldn't just knock you out, it would leave you in critical condition and would break a majority of your bones and severely rupture your organs. Punches from people like Mike Tyson to the chest can do just that assuming all that force travels a distance of worth a foot.

How about using the difference between a punch from the average human (100-110 foot pounds) and a punch from a boxer (≥1000 foot pounds) for the one shot gap?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back