• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Composite Clown: The Fool we Make of Ourselves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew_Schroeder

VS Battles
Retired
Or, The Systematic Problem With Composite / Combined Profiles

So.

Recently there has been much discussion and controversy relating to the topic of Composite and Combined profiles, and their place and purpose in our website. Some argue that VsBattles is not limited to strictly traditional fiction, as we allow profiles for Real Life weapons and animals, and compare these profiles with Composite Versions of fictional characters like Super Mario and Link.

I don't agree with this sentiment, and I stand with the opposite side, who argue that there has to be some line between what is and isn't allowed in VsBattlesWiki, even if vague.

The problem with Real Life Composite profiles is simple: There's way too many of them, and they have no real criteria of standard of analysis. They are all build by mish-mashing the characteristics of multiple beings of a species, or of multiple species which are broadly linked under a single definition, with no real analysis put into it, and no standard of what is acceptable or not.

Characteristics are just merged together with no regard for what is contradictory or mutually exclusive, and what you end up left with isn't a Composite, but rather a bizarre chimera that fuses every single strength of a species or multiple species to the point of being nearly unrecognizable.

Some have argued that they should be allowed, as Fictional Character Composites are allowed, but the comparison is flawed and naive at best. Not only do we have limits and regulations for Fictional Composites, but they are also far easier to handle, as each character is bound to a specific setting with clearly defined feats and scaling. Meanwhile not only is Real Life not a clearly-defined setting, but there are absolutely no regulations to what is or isn't allowed, leading to absolutely ludicrous profiles that are more in-line with what is found in JokeBattlesWiki, like the Composite Tree.

Real Life Composites could only be compared to Fictional Composites if the later had no regulations, and were built under the idea that outliers don't exist. If I made A Composite Krillin profile, and used bullshit scaling and logic to make him 3-A or 2-C, that wouldn't be accepted. The way Real Life Composites are made have no such thing.

Speaking of which, currently we have the following profiles.

• Composite Human
  • Composite Ant
  • Composite Bat
  • Composite Cat
  • Composite Canid
  • Composite Fish
  • Composite Lizard
  • Composite Primate
  • Composite Plant
  • Composite Shark
  • Composite Snake
  • Composite Spider
  • Composite Tree
  • Composite Virus
As well as Combined Human.

Of this, quite frankly, only Composite Human and maybe Composite Virus have an argument for existing. The former is a basic concept that's existed in VsForum for many years, and the later is sufficiently well done and interesting to be allowed. Everything else? Nah son.

Not only are they frankly random and poorly made, they are often repetitive. Composite Shark is made redundant by the existence of Composite Fish, which was demonstrated in this thread, while Composite Plant is just Composite Tree +1, and Composite Primate is just Composite Human with the strength of an Ape.

And Combined Human? That is just ludicrous. It is a linear addition of the strength of every human who ever lived, with no regard for physics or logic. It has zero argument to be kept.

At the very least, we need to rethink how we regulate and allow such profiles, and at worse they should all be axed with a few exceptions, so things can start anew.

I always did wonder why there were two version of composite human. Anyways I do agree with this since it seems really redundant with the exception of the CH and CV pages.

I agree that we need to better regulate those.

Composite Plant certainly needs to go. That's a whole goddamn Kingdom put into one profile. Composite Fish is too vast also.

I'd say that stuff like Composite Ant or composites of relatively uniform kind of animals like that would be alright, given that there would be little to no point in differentiating all the individuals species of ants. We arguably also do so for some profiles already anyway.

Combined human (low 7c ver) seems fine, as well as normal composite human, but other composites except maybe virus really don't need to be here. The most egregious example is probably composite primate, since its just physically buffed composite human. I feel like even combined human would be more interesting if we used the other physical attributes as well, like it having a stupidly huge mass due to being everyone, but that's just me. Definitely keep composite human, and maybe combined human and composite virus, but others don't need to be here.

Dragonmasterxyz said:
There's a difference between legit profiles that become memes by the fandom and legit meme files.
And... The Tree is different how?

I'm the one who initiated a bunch of composite animal profiles like Composite Cat, Composite Shark, Composite Spider and Composite Fish. All of the others like Composite Lizard and such probably came from the idea of the composite animals that I think I came up with, so I think I'm responsible for all of this.

Regardless I think the ones like composite Ant and Composite Spider are fine, because as Saikou said they are relatively uniform, or at least they don't use kinetic energy that the animal never relies on in the wild as the only justification for AP.

You mean considering most if not all Composite Tree threads are made in order to build up said meme?

@Dragon There are no reasons to deem a profile with legit stats and research a "meme" or "joke" profile just because it's used as such.

Let's be honest, how is Composite Tree even a character? It's literally a tree. I know that plants can count as living beings, but come on, it's literally a tree.

Overpowered 5Bs that become memesÔëáprofiles made for the absurdity of having people get beaten by a tree

Dragonmasterxyz said:
You mean considering most if not all Composite Tree threads are made in order to build up said meme?
Ya just described lavos homu luce bb reinhard and even kratos a thread ago.

Paulo.junior.969 said:
Let's be honest, how is Composite Tree even a character? It's literally a tree. I know that plants can count as living beings, but come on, it's literally a tree.
Deku have feelings also man. Ovo.

At the very least, composite plant has no reason to exist. If tree stays around, its largely redundant. If it doesn't, plant most likely has the same issues that got tree cut.

We need a composite meme OVO

In all seriousness though I agree, this has gotten a bit out of hand

I agree with this 1,000%. The Composite Organism stats were getting extremely out of hand. Nobody was even trying to establish consistency in regards to what was allowed and what wasn't. There was even talk of a "Combined Bacteria" profile.

At least limit how we treat these. Make sure they don't contradict said real life creation or cause it to become some deformed being that will die over it's own creation.

I honestly thought this was going to be compositing characters like joker and pennywise and other fictional clowns when I saw the title, but turns out other composite profiles reach that level of absurdity.

Dragonmasterxyz said:
At least limit how we treat these. Make sure they don't contradict said real life creation or cause it to become some deformed being that will die over it's own creation.
Kars says hi

Composite Tree (For the memes), Composite Human (FRA), Composite Virus (FRA), and maybe Combined Human should stay (Combined Human is common in versus fourms and sometimes even in science and research, albeit less so then Composite Human).

Well Kars is not all living beings in one body, he can just manifest abilities of all of these beings.

Say, he's not kilometers worth of fungus moving at subsonic speed.

I originally made the Composite/Combined Human page due to the idea being used around in numerous VS forums throughout the years and because some of the staff members were encouraging me to do so in chat back when I was just an inexperienced Discussion Mod.

I feel like I've created a monster and despise these laughable composite page. And I cringe at the idea of my page looking back.

I am completely and utterly fine with removing them. If the rest of the site wants them kept I won't argue against that either though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back